Kootenay's Pro4X Frontier

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
Neat, I've got a couple of 4' crossbars from an xsporter laying around (miscut when building my trailer) that I wanted to do something like this but wasn't sure how to go about mounting them. What size muffler clamp did you use?
Sorry for the delayed response, missed this. I used 2 1/4" clamps.

Decided to change the transfer case oil, as per the extreme duty intervals in the owners manual. Many told me not to bother. Wow, it was dirty and quite low. When I talked to the Nissan tech after he said that is normal if 4wd has been used a lot. Going to change the engine oil and brake fluid this weekend, and hopefully finish up the bedslide V3. I also started getting the evaporation canister trouble code. LAME. tried cleaning it out, it was filthy, but the yellow light came on again today. Hopefully warranty fixes it this time.

In a couple of weeks I am heading down to do the Morrison Jeep trail and Goose Lake trails. Originally had a good trip lined up in the West Kootenay's, but with the Backcountry ban and horrible smoke and fires everywhere, we changed the venue.

Last edited:

MNCarl

The Moose
Kooteny,

This post maybe a little late...but

Not sure if you are doing the Morrison trail solo or with a group of rigs , but you will want to have an experienced spotter and or multiple spotter's on the switchbacks for our poor turning radius Frontiers.

You will most likely take damage to the left side of your truck on the switchback with the large rock.

Goose lake should not be a problem except for the last obstacle closest to Goose lake can be a little tricky.

Just my 2 cents

kootenay

Kooteny,

This post maybe a little late...but

Not sure if you are doing the Morrison trail solo or with a group of rigs , but you will want to have an experienced spotter and or multiple spotter's on the switchbacks for our poor turning radius Frontiers.

You will most likely take damage to the left side of your truck on the switchback with the large rock.

Goose lake should not be a problem except for the last obstacle closest to Goose lake can be a little tricky.

Just my 2 cents
Thanks for the info. Morrison apparently got a lot of snow the last few days so it is out, and the local Off Highway Vehicle ban was just lifted, so the original plan is happening now. As for that tight switchback, watching videos I wonder if backing up it would be better?

MNCarl

The Moose
Thanks for the info. Morrison apparently got a lot of snow the last few days so it is out, and the local Off Highway Vehicle ban was just lifted, so the original plan is happening now. As for that tight switchback, watching videos I wonder if backing up it would be better?

Kootenay,
Let me state I am no expert on the Morrison Trail .... I am just a flat lander Minnesota guy that did Morrison Trail once , and to me it was no joke, two people died when I was there (you may have already read that in my thread)
http://www.codyenterprise.com/news/local/article_951a0fc4-7a1e-11e7-8480-eb0e459cf219.html

I too watched videos on you tube and the videos do not portray the sheer drop offs and tightness of the trail.
The thing is with a shorter wheelbase vehicle it is not that big of a deal, with the Nissan Frontier's it was extremely challenging.
We considered backing up some the switchback's but decided against it, which was fine with me as (to me) just driving up "forward" was crazy enough.

I am not trying to spook you , I am just giving you my experience.

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
Ive done the Morrison twice, i wouldnt consider myself an expert either. i would highly discourage going it alone. Its not the roughest trail, but it has a knack for making bad things happen.

The rock that that everyone is referring to is known as the ******** it rock for a reason. I have seen it done both ways, frontwards and backwards. I have seen a 100 series, and 80 series and long bed ex cab tacos make it. They all hit their sliders but no body damage. I don't know if you have sliders, but they are absolutely necessary IMO. there are pictures on this forum...and on MUD

Lucky for me, The FJC makes it around the switchbacks without a spotter and the backup camera is very handy LOL.

Morrison is a bucket list trail. but i would wait until next July.

The last hill at Goose has a easy way to the left...i went up that way because the main way had a big rut someone had dug out in it recently. Rain or snow would make that hill fun.

some inspiration

2016 - Morrison
http://www.406cruisers.com/2016/08/02/morrison-jeep-trail-group-ride/

2017- Morrison
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7gtRtvoGb4JLUxkWlJOd1lvOWs

Cooke City goose lake- not alot of pictures of the goose lake upper trail unfortuantly

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7gtRtvoGb4JLV8zMHZYc1lsMjA

the ******** it rock
image.jpg

Last edited:

kootenay

The trip I was part of this year was called Colossal. The original plan was to meet up in Nelson BC Friday morning and explore the West Kootenay's for 5 days. The lead was planning to re run most of the trails to make sure each day was best utilized. Seemed like a pretty straight forward plan, and a nice drive over the Grey Creek Pass from my house gets me to Nelson. So I signed up.

Then we had forrest fires, and lots of them this summer all around. The off-road trails got shut down, then the back roads, and eventually you were not even allowed to walk your dog on trails around here. In Nelson you still walk your dog, but it was still really dry. So the trails could not be pre runned. Or even driven, so a decision was made to plan for Morrison Jeep and Goose lake. Not a bad idea. Then they got feet of snow and it was looking like the trip would be cancelled. Then last minute, Wednesday before the trip the trail ban was lifted and Thursday the fire ban was lifted. Colossal was back on.

I drove into Nelson on the Thursday and chilled out that evening in the local campground. The next morning I met up with most of the crew and we headed off.
DSC_0595 by kootenaycycle mountainworks, on Flickr
I was the only Nissan in a sea of Toyotas for the next five days.
DSC_0605 by kootenaycycle mountainworks, on Flickr
Once the pavement was done we aired down
DSC_0606 by kootenaycycle mountainworks, on Flickr

kootenay

We would not need to air up again for 3 days.

Being eager to see what trails we were going to explore, I jumped in line behind Addison and his beautiful 4th gen 4runner. A few minutes of high speed gravel road driving and we were pulled over again waiting for the group. After regrouping, and adding 1 more to our roster we were off, heading up a trail I was unfamiliar with, but had heard so much about before.
DSC_0621 by kootenaycycle mountainworks, on Flickr
The trail started climbing immediately, and never ceased. Nothing on this trail was overly technical, and the scenery was spectacular. This was the perfect trail to start the trip with.
DSC_0611 by kootenaycycle mountainworks, on Flickr
The rigs seemed to be enjoying a chance to stretch their legs out as well
DSC_0610 by kootenaycycle mountainworks, on Flickr
As we continued to climb and climb, we eventually broke through the tree line. Now the views, turned into vistas
DSC_0631 by kootenaycycle mountainworks, on Flickr
We eventually found ourselves at an old fire lookout. We took the time to BS and enjoy the surroundings.
DSC_0638 by kootenaycycle mountainworks, on Flickr
Then we decided to head down and get a campsite for the night. Being one of the few trucks in the group, and not overloaded, I stopped on the way down and loaded up with some dead fall for fire wood. I arrived at the campsite in the dark and proceeded to set up for the night. Our group also met up with the final member. I really enjoyed the new bedslide arrangement, and it made cooking a breeze.
DSC_0639 by kootenaycycle mountainworks, on Flickr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles