Kootenay's Pro4X Frontier

msk1959

That is one nice RTT. Very pretty area you live in. Thanks for sharing your truck ideas and lovely pictures. I love my king cab but I wish it would have come with roof rack. On Frontier Forum someone had tried to install the OEM by buying the one for Crew Cab and then cutting about 11 inches of it. It looks good and then he added the camper cap in the back and mounted matching one on it just like you did. this is awesome.

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
I am so torn right now about tires. The stock Hankooks are wearing down at 43k km. Actually at the wear bars on three of the 5 tires. So now I have to choose a new tire.

I am torn between going to a set off 255 86 16 in the Maxxis Bighorn or the ******** Cepeck Extreme country. Then putting on the Hankooks for one more winter. Then I will need to get another set of Factory sized tires for the Alcan and following winters or highway cruising. Ideally I would love to have a set of dedicated offroad tires. But then it also means having to store a second set of tires and wheels. I kind of enjoy just driving the truck with good tires all the time. This leads to the other option, a set of BFG KO2 in the stock size.

I do not want to go with 285's on the stock rims. I do not want the increased weight on the daily use, and the width is a little wide for the stock rim width. Currently off road I have not found myself needing much more traction then stock. A little better lateral stability in soft stuff would be one of the benefits I would like.

I would also appreciate any feed back others might have on the tire choices. Do 255 75 16 offer that much better tractions and clearance off road? Does it make up for the difference in wet pavement and corning roll?

justbecause

perpetually lost
we have about 35k ish miles on a set of 265/75/16 grabber ATIIs. This is the second set of grabbers I have had and really love them.
My next set will most likely be 235/85/16

load E snow rated.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
For what it's worth, I run 285/75/16 Grabber AT2s, and I don't find them to be way too wide or excessively heavy. I've never had an issue with them on the stock rims. I still pull about 18 mpg doing 70 mph on the highway. They're a good tire and have served me well.

That being said, I think the 255/85/16 is a great size as well. Bijanjames runs the 255/85 Cooper ST Maxx and he loves them. They're lighter than most other 33s, and the tall/skinny approach actually should net you a little bit better offroad performance. The actual tire options in that size are a lot more limited though.

kootenay

Has anyone run 255 85 16's or or 285 75 16's then gone back to 265 75 16 and regretted it, or noticed a difference? We are talking about .5" difference in ground clearance. Is that really anything?

SRStaff

Observer
.5" can mean the difference of me dragging frame in quite a few places. I have a Gen 1 Xterra on 33x10.50x15 ******** Cepek Extreme Country tires. I am suprised on how well they do on the road and ice while in 2wd. I still get easy 17-18 MPG mixed driving in the hills around here.

MNCarl

The Moose
Just an FYI in case you did not see this in my thread...

P265/75-16 Rugged trail & LT285/75-16 KO2 both mounted on stock nissan pro-4x rims.

DSC_0304_zpsascxaada.jpg

Last edited:

kootenay

Just an FYI in case you did not see this in my thread...

P265/75-16 Rugged trail & LT285/75-16 KO2 both mounted on stock nissan pro-4x rims.

DSC_0304_zpsascxaada.jpg

I did see that. The height difference is only half when it comes to adding ground clearance. But yes more can better, just trying to figure out how much, and how often.

.5" can mean the difference of me dragging frame in quite a few places. I have a Gen 1 Xterra on 33x10.50x15 ******** Cepek Extreme Country tires. I am suprised on how well they do on the road and ice while in 2wd. I still get easy 17-18 MPG mixed driving in the hills around here.
Thanks for the review on the tire. Right now I am leaning into the two wheels and tires camp.

docwatson

Adventurer
I am running 235/85r16 on my R51 Pathfinder and I love them. They have been great on the road and the times I have taken them on some mild trails. If I could afford 2 sets of wheels and tires I would absolutely go that route. You will get more life out of both sets and your could use a P rated tire around town but an aggressive, tall M/T for dedicated excursions. Having gone skinny, I have no plans to go another route.

Of course the two wheel set decision may take away some spontaneity and would add another step to trip preparation. But they are kind of like shoes right. I don't go running in my dress shoes... well not most of the time anyway.

kootenay

Yesterday I went out fishing and cut the stock tires for the last time. Today I bought some new meats
IMG_3566 by kootenaycycle mountainworks, on Flickr
I ended up going with 285 75 16 Procomp MT2. The increased clearance offroad was more noticeable then I thought it would, and the traction is awesome.
IMG_3561 by kootenaycycle mountainworks, on Flickr
I have also been playing around with the roof rack and like this setup.
IMG_3564 by kootenaycycle mountainworks, on Flickr
I cut down the rear crossbars from a Thule Xsporter and mounted them on the factory side rails with Muffler clamps bolted into the track. I will be adding some shovel and axe brackets as well as another bike mount.

Last edited:

MNCarl

The Moose
Nice new tires !!! I now have tire envy for MT's
And It will be nice for you to have the added toughness of the LT rated tires compared to the P rated tires.
Have you been playing around with the tire PSI on the new tires?
I have been running my LT285's at around 38-40 PSI and they seem to be wearing evenly.

kootenay

Nice new tires !!! I now have tire envy for MT's
And It will be nice for you to have the added toughness of the LT rated tires compared to the P rated tires.
Have you been playing around with the tire PSI on the new tires?
I have been running my LT285's at around 38-40 PSI and they seem to be wearing evenly.
I was torn between the AT or MT, then when I found these tires for cheap I had to jump. Turns out they have a tread life warranty. Not sure if any other MT's have that. As for the pressures I haven't around yet. Yesterday was the first day with them on. I think I will chalk test them when loaded and unloaded and write the number on the door sills like the factory that way I don't have to remember.

E.J.

Explorer
IMG_3564 by kootenaycycle mountainworks, on Flickr
I cut down the rear crossbars from a Thule Xsporter and mounted them on the factory side rails with Muffler clamps bolted into the track. I will be adding some shovel and axe brackets as well as another bike mount.

Neat, I've got a couple of 4' crossbars from an xsporter laying around (miscut when building my trailer) that I wanted to do something like this but wasn't sure how to go about mounting them. What size muffler clamp did you use?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier