Kootenay's Pro4X Frontier

lowrider1

Great thread and wonderful pics!! We're 60 miles South of the Border near Sandpoint, ID and get up in your neck of the woods a fair amount in the Summer. I have a mostly stock 2008 SE with the Leer cap and a 100 lb red lab named Mick.We didn't go up there this year because of the fires but want to wish you folks a happy 150 anyway!! Just go back from a 3750 mile trip thru MT. WY, UT, AZ and NV with a return via Boise to see the airshow with the Snowbirds and Thunder Birds...both were wonderful...the 9 ship formations the Snowbirds flew were incredible, as were the maple bacon donuts.

Stay warm and hope to see you on the trails next summer.

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
Great thread and wonderful pics!! We're 60 miles South of the Border near Sandpoint, ID and get up in your neck of the woods a fair amount in the Summer. I have a mostly stock 2008 SE with the Leer cap and a 100 lb red lab named Mick.We didn't go up there this year because of the fires but want to wish you folks a happy 150 anyway!! Just go back from a 3750 mile trip thru MT. WY, UT, AZ and NV with a return via Boise to see the airshow with the Snowbirds and Thunder Birds...both were wonderful...the 9 ship formations the Snowbirds flew were incredible, as were the maple bacon donuts.

Stay warm and hope to see you on the trails next summer.

Thanks. Sounds like you had a pretty good trip. If you are ever in Kimberley swing by my store, the only bike/ski shop in town and say hi.

kootenay

Well crazy season (for the winter) in the store is almost done, a couple more weeks of 70+hrs and I should be able to get some things done to the Frontier again. Last night the wife and I started talking about our annual early spring migration to the Desert. Think we might try two RTT this year as opposed to one big one. Going to play around with the rear storage some more, and I will probably re gear to 4.10's.

I am also looking at new wheels/rims. I am liking a lot of the Mambawheels wheels right now, and am thinking that 17" might be the way to go for an Allweather AT tire in the summer. Keep the Pro4x wheels and MT's for the offroad.

kootenay

The annual desert migration is approaching fast. Making a few last minute changes to the set up. We decided to try a single large roof top tent. With that decision made we went with a Burmis Outdoors Highwood Guides Haus roof top tent.
DSC_0788 by kootenaycycle mountainworks, on Flickr
I love the attention to details these guys have chosen for their tents. Only down side with the size of the tent 72"x90" when opened is the factory roof rack didn't support it well. I decided to pop the back cross bar off, and place one of the modified thule XT 500 bars in its place. Now it is supported well. Since most of the roof is now being used for sleep duty, we needed somewhere to put the bikes. I decided on using the Recon Racks. Carries any bike well. Only down side is that I don't sell them in the store, so had to pay retail. Man this thing is a beauty
Untitled by kootenaycycle mountainworks, on Flickr
Notice the Eye bolt on the rear bumper, they came with it for using as rear recovery? I decided to use some serious permanent loctite on that one and will use it as the locking point for the rack and the bikes.

Next issue to address is the canopy storage and the satellite antenna.
For the canopy roof top storage I am going to fab up a mini platform this weekend out of uni-strut I have laying around.

Last edited:

kootenay

I am thinking of making some 3/8" aluminium plate into a roof rack like the Prinsu options for Tacomas. I want to try and making them fit into the stock roof rack mounting holes. Has anyone done this? Biggest issue I see is making the feet match the curve of the roof. If you have any experience or ideas please let me know

I did something similar to what your talking about, about to do it again for my Xterra. Where you located?

Shoot me a PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kootenay

Do you mind giving your opinion one he arb rear bumper? Thanks
I really like it. It has been very solid, and the step height into the bed in nice. I also use the side rub rails when accessing things on the Canopy. The rear hitch is a few inches taller then the factory so the departure angle is better then it was stock as well.

kootenay

Well let me know if you need a hand, I hope to be sending a new design to the laser cutter for my Xterra next week or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks I will.

Just got back from an epic weekend. Chased and led a few Toyota guys around my backyard. Hit some amazing trails, found some old mines, and enjoyed some laughs, beers and views with old and new friends.

DSC_2044 by kootenaycycle mountainworks, on Flickr

Looks like I need to ad some more underbody plating. The Toyotas really do have better ground clearance. With the Oldman Emu's I still looked stock next to comparably lifted Toyotas, and I used my sliders more then anyone else. Not sure if I should lift more, or fit 35's? or maybe both

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles