Kootenay's Pro4X Frontier

MNCarl

The Moose
Wow, that front bumper l am guessing is the new HeftyFab aluminum bumper...... you mentioned an aluminum front bumper (No brand name) in a previous post.
That must be a lot less weight than the metal version.
Did you have HeftyFab powdercoat it? or did you paint it black ?
I sure looks nice !!!!!

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
Wow, that front bumper l am guessing is the new HeftyFab aluminum bumper...... you mentioned an aluminum front bumper (No brand name) in a previous post.
That must be a lot less weight than the metal version.
Did you have HeftyFab powdercoat it? or did you paint it black ?
I sure looks nice !!!!!

Thanks. It is the Aluminium Hefty Fab. And I did have them powder coat it. Weight wise, it and my Short Drum synthetic winch is 100lbs combined.

kootenay

A few little updates. Installed an Oldman Emu lift and Hefty Sliders onto my dads Pro4x. He is pretty stoked. He had his sliders painted Anthracite grey to match the rims.

I am also playing around with a few things on my truck. Such as how I want to install my Roof Top tent. I also got my Maxtrax the other day, so trying to figure out how to integrate them.

Finally I am really debating joining GONE Moab this year.

kootenay

Not much more done recently. I did decide to replace the factory battery, that is corrosion prone due to venting, with a Optima yellow top. Still trying to figure out how to mount a few things to the truck for usability.

PGtroll1

A few little updates. Installed an Oldman Emu lift and Hefty Sliders onto my dads Pro4x. He is pretty stoked. He had his sliders painted Anthracite grey to match the rims.

I am also playing around with a few things on my truck. Such as how I want to install my Roof Top tent. I also got my Maxtrax the other day, so trying to figure out how to integrate them.

Finally I am really debating joining GONE Moab this year.

Did you end up signing up for GONEmoab this year?

kootenay

I have had a few people ask about my bedslide. Here is a quick run down.
All photos taken on my potatoe phone. Sorry

IMG_0015 by kootenaycycle mountainworks, on Flickr
I started with some heavy duty dollies from the hardware store, and mounted them to the Utilitrack on the truck. I had to cut out the rivets that the wheels spun on and replaced them with bolts. This was so that the wheels could be removed to access the bolt into the uni-strut nut. I wanted to keep the slide as low as possible so that bikes could go on top with the canopy. If I wasn't concerned with height, I would have just mounted the dolly wheels to some wood stringers and bolted them to the uni strut.
IMG_0016 by kootenaycycle mountainworks, on Flickr
I then cut a piece of plywood to fit. And mounted some aluminium angles brackets onto the end and underneath for stiffening. I used an old tubular road tire and mounted it to the ends of the plywood to keep it from moving around while driving.
IMG_0018 by kootenaycycle mountainworks, on Flickr

I mounted two more dolly wheels onto the plywood so that they would fit into the grooves on my tailgate. They help keep it from tipping, it also helps keep it running straight when extended.
IMG_0017 by kootenaycycle mountainworks, on Flickr
Now I have a slide that works awesome, and also doubles as a sleeping platform for me. My truck has a 5' bed, and I am 6' tall. I can now sleep on the diagonal and close up the canopy and tailgate. Extra bonus. Things I want to clean up are;
1) Make a tether for the slide so that I cannot over extend it.
2) Mount another Aluminium L bracket to the ends then mount the rubber to them. Plywood is not that strong on the grain.
3) Find a nice cover for it. I still use my truck as a truck so I want something that cleans easy. I have already cut a second piece of 3/4" ply to cover the thin piece for when I am carrying heavy items or dirty items. I may get an Aluminium sheet cut instead.

If I was making this purely as a camping or offroad rig. I would mount the slide higher off the bed, that way dirty items could be stored under it. Again I wanted to be able to mount bikes on it, so I need all the height I could get.
IMG_0020 by kootenaycycle mountainworks, on Flickr

nfp4x

As promised earlier here are some photos. The truck. It is dirty. The front bumper I have not tackled yet. Still deciding between painting it to match or leaving it black.
IMG_3287 by kootenaycycle mountainworks, on Flickr

I was torn between the ARB rear bumper (to best match my ARB front) or the Shrockworks rear bumper. I ended up going with the Shrockworks using a group buy discount on a different forum. I think they are both probably extremely well made and quite functional (the wrap around protection of the ARB seems like it could be very nice to have). To me the Shrockworks looked a bit more traditional compared to the ARB, so I went that route (still waiting on it though - probably have another month or two to go before its shipped).

Regarding your Leer topper - is that the 100XR? I am starting to look into them and reached out for a quote on the Leer 100XR earlier today. Have you had any issues with yours that you aren't happy with?

kootenay

I was torn between the ARB rear bumper (to best match my ARB front) or the Shrockworks rear bumper. I ended up going with the Shrockworks using a group buy discount on a different forum. I think they are both probably extremely well made and quite functional (the wrap around protection of the ARB seems like it could be very nice to have). To me the Shrockworks looked a bit more traditional compared to the ARB, so I went that route (still waiting on it though - probably have another month or two to go before its shipped).

Regarding your Leer topper - is that the 100XR? I am starting to look into them and reached out for a quote on the Leer 100XR earlier today. Have you had any issues with yours that you aren't happy with?

I have been happy with the Leer so far. I can't remember if it was a 100XR or 100CC. Either way I have the single latch of the XR with the extra fibreglass of the CC in the roof. Happy with it so far.

msk1959

Excellent Build. I have a 2005 King Cab Nismo and love it. Have done some slight modding but nothing much. Like the simplicity of the rear ARB bumper.

kootenay

Excellent Build. I have a 2005 King Cab Nismo and love it. Have done some slight modding but nothing much. Like the simplicity of the rear ARB bumper.
Thanks, I love the king cabs, but not enough space in one for the family.

hovenator

Explorer
Man, your truck just keeps getting better. Everything you do seems to be very useful and has a purpose (as opposed to just the cool factor)! Very nice!!!

kootenay

Man, your truck just keeps getting better. Everything you do seems to be very useful and has a purpose (as opposed to just the cool factor)! Very nice!!!
Function always seems to lead to cool.

I modified the feet on my SkyRise to fit the Whispbars I mounted on the canopy. Took it out today for a shake down, as well as to take some photos for a magazine. I was asked to write an article about overlanding.
DSC_0518 by kootenaycycle mountainworks, on Flickr

DSC_0536 by kootenaycycle mountainworks, on Flickr
The SkyRise is very open and airy, even with the Rainfly on. And the 2.5" mattress is awesome
DSC_0550 by kootenaycycle mountainworks, on Flickr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94