"Island Time" our 2005 T4R

Pilotamis

Observer
We've been going back and forth on what to get for our exploration rig for 2 years now. In that time we moved halfway around the world to a tiny island in the Pacific where Toyota's dominate the roads. After living here for 10 months I finally found something I could afford and wasn't completely destroyed. She's a 2005 T4R Sport. 115K miles and the frame is still in better shape than my Wrangler that saw 1 winter in WNY. She definitely needs some work. Brakes and suspension are both in dire need of complete replacement. If the air and in cabin filter are any indicator of the previous owners maintenance I'll be replacing everything. Plan is that when we leave the island we ship her to Sydney, Auckland and finally B.A.. IMG_0209.jpgIMG_0208.jpgIMG_0210.jpgIMG_0211.jpg

Pilotamis

Observer
My plugs finally came in today so I took the opportunity to change them and clean the TB and MAF sensor. Looking at the connectors that plug into the packs it seemed like no one had ever touched them in the 115k miles she's been on the road for. The plugs were all original, 3 Denso and 3 NGK. a few of the ends were almost completely burned off. After the plugs I moved onto the MAF sensor and the TB. The MAF I was able to get clean, the TB I was not. I sprayed an entire can of TB cleaner trying to get it clean and it still is nasty looking. Start to finish was less than 3 hrs, including some pictures. The difference is night and day. I did thou find what looks to be some oil leaking between the head gasket and some fresh looking oil down low on the block. Hopefully it's nothing.

Also got the step rails off. This makes it more fun for the kids as they now have to climb into it. I'll post some pics of the plugs and leak in the morning.

zidaro

Explorer
Sweet ride!
This is the V6?

considering what you are describing with previous care to your new ride. All the oil leaking could possibly just be a clogged PCV valve.

Upgrade your brakes to the 5th gen calipers Fr/Rr, 5th gen front rotors, 4th gen rear rotors- since your going there. Less documented "caliper freeze" and bigger better brakes to boot.

Pilotamis

Observer
Upgrading to 5th Gen Centric calipers and rotors along with an OME "low lift" when I go back to the states in June. Having everything shipped there and I'll bring it all back. I'll replace the PCV valve but the oil leak is from the timing chain cover. Apparently it is/was common. I took it to the crack pot dealer today that I bought it from since it is still under warranty and his "professional" is going to look at it. Not sure how I feel about him touching it though. I can't find a write up documenting how to replace it. Seems like a lot of stuff in that small area. I don't dare do it without something to reference. Dealer said they have an 09' Taco LB coming in this week. I'm going to take a look at it. Extra room with the LB and the headache of this leak might make me switch or at the very least buy it also for my wife and see which one I like more over the next 6-9 months. Still cheaper than what I've been doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior