Tacoma FlipPac Goose Gear Overland Build

twoyearsnotice

Return to Big Rock Candy Mountain
Build_photo_01.jpg
Above: Charles heading back to Big Rock Candy Mountain, this time more prepared

While many people enjoy building for the sake of building, I have found that my motivation lies primarily in building for the sake of doing. My favorite build threads begin with a story of failure, which motivates the writer to learn the skills, gain the experience, and make the vehicle modifications necessary to achieve their goal on subsequent attempts. In this tradition, I thought it would be best to start with my own story of failure.

Failure
I had come to know the feeling pretty well after years of rock climbing. Equal parts uncertainty, fear, and regret, it was usually the result of repetitive application of optimistic decision-making. If you don't know what I am talking about, just take an “it'll be fine” mindset whenever your situation becomes serious, while making sure not to prudently examine said situation, and you will soon arrive at this feeling. With the colors of sunset quickly fading to grey, it was time to turn on the headlights, and well past the time when decisions should have been made based on reality instead of optimism. Jen, Steve, and I had set out after work for Big Rock Candy Mountain (BRCM), a 1200-foot granite monolith that rises dramatically out of the South Platte River, and is one of the crown jewels of Colorado rock climbing. For the last hour we had descended an unmaintained service road through one obstacle after another, each proving more challenging than the last. What started as the occasional slamming of the frame against the bump stops had progressed to belly dragging and differential smashing. Like a novice poker player, our ignorance had allowed us to commit too much to a bad hand. Motivated to buy in further by a fear of losing what we had already invested, yet realizing with each new turn that our odds of surviving the hand had only gotten worse. Only half way to where we wanted to be, we were no longer confident that we could make it back to where we started. With no recovery gear, no spare tire, and no idea what we were doing, it became clear that it was time to turn around.

We were in some serious trouble. Not because of our current predicament, that was easily solved. Several miles ago we had passed some jeepers out camping for the weekend that we could go to for help if things got too desperate. It would only have cost us a few beers from the cooler and a bit of pride. Instead, Jen and I were in serious trouble because we were supposed to be leaving for an overland trip to Patagonia in just over two years. We were supposed to surf and climb our way to the end of the Americas, and here we were without the skills, experience, equipment, or confidence to explore our own backyard. Somehow we made it out that night, thankful not to be stuck, and lucky to have enough time to learn the skills we needed before leaving on our overland journey.

Overland From Colorado to Patagonia (and Back?)

As it is not possible to make something purpose-built if you have not defined the purpose, I will try to do just that. Jen and I are going to take our two dogs, Dobie and Kaia, and drive south for about a year. We have no set itinerary, just a basic plan to follow the coast and surf while the surf is good, and to head inland to the mountains when the waves are flat. Adventure is the goal, so being able to access remote destinations is a priority. Hearing from surfers who have done similar trips, it seems that muddy, narrow “roads” with lots of low hanging limbs and plenty of water crossings are the most common entry fee to such places. Our goal with the truck is fairly simple in concept: increase off-road capability without sacrificing too much reliability.

The Build

For guiding principles, see this short list of great articles:

1.) Is Your Overlander Overbuilt? Written by Christophe Noel.

2.) The Physics of Tires and Lifts. Written by Jonathan Hanson.

3.) Tire Selection for Expedition Travel. Written by Scott Brady.

As you will soon see, we have slipped a bit on the first guiding principle of the build, opting for creature comforts more appropriate for a retiring couple than young surfers.

I will list the modifications that I have made, starting at the front of the truck and working towards the back. I will include a few short comments about the motivation for the modification, the installation process, and my thoughts after about six months of use. Comments regarding installation should be taken with a big grain of salt, as I was definitely learning by doing throughout the entire process I'm sure most people reading this will have much more experience working on their own vehicle.

Build_photo_02.jpg
Above: Our home on the road, setup with the rainfly

2000 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road Xtra Cab 3.4L V6, ~50,000 miles
Motivation: The Tacoma is legendary reliability, good off-road capability, good payload, and a relatively small footprint.

ARB front bumper (#3423020)
Motivation: We want to ensure that small fender benders are just that, and don't leave us stranded (the same goes for wildlife).

Install Notes: The install was pretty straightforward and easy, but fairly time consuming. ARB should be embarrassed by their install documentation, which could be kindly described as inadequate. Unfortunately, poor documentation seems to be an industry standard, or at least that is the impression that I got throughout this build. Luckily, there is plenty of forum support for this install.

Rigid Industries D2 XL Driving Lights
Motivation: We don't plan to drive after dark very often on our overland trip, but for those times when we have to we really wanted some good lights.

Install Notes: I didn't do this install myself, so I can't speak to this.

6-Month Review: These lights are ridiculously bright. It is hard to imagine wanting more than this unless you were racing at night.

Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit (specific components described below)
Motivation: The stock Tacoma suspension was absolutely horrendous, particularly the rear leaf springs. We also wanted to increase clearance of the body and the differential (through slightly larger tires). Article two, which is linked above, highlights several reliability concerns that led us to choose a more moderate lift and tires.

Install Notes: The Toytec install documentation was sufficient, but certainly not great. Again, plan on relying on forum support and advice from your local shop for some sections of the install. Specific install notes below.

6-Month Review: As this is my first aftermarket suspension build, it is hard for me to compare it to anything else. Overall, I have been extremely happy with the gain in off-road capability, which is really a night and day difference. On road driving characteristics have not suffered at all. My only complaint is that the rear shocks seem to be inadequate for certain highway driving situations. Specifically, the back end goes into a harmonic hop on sections of highway that are made from segmented pieces of concrete. Luckily, while sections of highway like this do exist around the front range of Colorado, they are relatively rare.

Total Chaos Upper Control Arms
Install notes: Total Chaos produces great install documentation, and even has several well made step-by-step videos to walk you through the install. In hindsight, the install should have been pretty easy, yet in practice it was very difficult. Specifically, it was removing the original upper control arm that caused so much heartache. Two things will help you avoid this. First, buy a pickle fork right away. You will probably only use it this once in your life (to separate the ball joint from the spindle), but it will be worth every penny. Second, go to your local automotive store and rent (for free at most) a ball joint press when it comes time to remove the ball joint form the spindle.

6-Month Review: Despite liberal greasing (and trying not to over grease), the bushings of the upper control arms have developed a persistent squeak. I will be removing and cleaning them soon, so hopefully this will solve the problem. I hope this does not become routinely required maintenance.

Toytec/Bilstein Adjustable Coilovers
Install Notes: These were installed after the original upper control arms had been removed, making this install one of the easiest parts of the Toytec install. Really just plug and play at that point.

Old Man Emu Dakar Rear Leaf Springs
Install Notes: While fairly straightforward, this was one of the more challenging installations for the Toytec lift. It was really nice to have the help of my buddy Steve, as the leaf packs are pretty heavy. Keep a couple of extra jack stands nearby to make sure you don't stretch the brake line too far, and don't tighten anything down until the very end (when the instructions say). The latter is key for making sure you can get the leaf springs aligned as needed.

Boss Rear Shocks
Install Notes: This was probably the easiest part of the entire Toytec lift installation.

Firestone Airbags
Motivation: Reduce suspension fatigue and help level truck once fully loaded. Even with the Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs, the rear end was sagging a fair bit.

Install Notes: I didn't do this install myself, so I can't speak to this.

CBI Off Road Outback Custom Rear Bumper
Motivation: Again, to offer some protection for our home. Also wanted some external storage for shovel/axe, jerry cans, propane, Maxtrax, and Hi-lift jack.

Install Notes: Installation was very straightforward and fairly quick once all of the accessories were assembled.

6-Month Review: This bumper is absolutely amazing, but also very heavy. CBI Off Road did a great job with the design and manufacture; everything fits perfectly and is lockable. It is amazing how much they were able to fit into such a small design. One of the best parts is the aluminum lockbox that can double as a cook top next to the tailgate. All of this functionality comes at the cost of adding a lot of weight really far back on the vehicle.

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 LT235/85/R16 Tires
Motivation: It is hard to overstate what a huge difference a good set of tires can make. Guided by some well-written and insightful articles (see articles 2 and 3 above), we tried to find tires that were taller not wider, not too much larger than our original tires, and had an E load index.

6-Month Review: I was really happy to find that these tires produced very little road noise. Colorado winters have given me plenty of opportunities to test these tires in snowy and icy conditions, and they have performed exceptionally well. I have yet to test them in very muddy conditions, but they have performed well off road in general. No major complaints, as it should be for tires of this price.

Safari Snorkel
Motivation: Many of the surf breaks we hope to reach are guarded by several water crossings. Additionally, given the amount of dirt road driving we will be doing, relocating the air intake higher has the added benefit of reducing the workload placed on the air filter.

Install Notes: This one is still on the to-do list, so I can't offer any advice here.

Our Home on the Road

Up until last year, Jen and I spent many of our weekends happily camped out in the back of our Ford F-150. We had bought a used mattress that fit perfectly between the wheel wells, and felt like we had scored a pretty serious upgrade after years of tent camping. When I suggested that such a setup would be perfect for our overland trip, Jen shot me a look that effectively conveyed her frustration with my continued ignorance of the opposite sex. Jen made one thing clear; if she was going to spend a year in the back of a truck with me and a couple of dogs, it was going to have to feel like a home and not the back of a truck. Thus began the search for our home.

A myriad of great options now exist for making a home on the road. There is no “best” choice for making a home on the road, but there are options that will better suit your home on the road given your preferred style of travel. In the end, after much research and deliberation, Jen and I decided to go with what can simply be described as a truck, a topper that turns into a tent, and some fancy drawers in the back. In all honesty, from a living perspective we would much prefer a van. We just couldn't find a van option that met our criteria of off road capability, reliability, serviceability, and expense.

The foundation of our home on the road is the Flip-Pac, a fiberglass topper that opens to form a six and a half foot high tent with a sleeping area over the cab of the truck. We chose this over a drop-in camper primarily because of the Flip-Pac's lower weight and expense. Another thing Jen and I love about the Flip-Pac is that the large windows allow amazing through-flow on hot days, and provide great views of sunset and the stars right from bed. The Flip-Pac's exposure to the elements is also its major weakness. While we have an aftermarket rainfly from SLO Sail and Canvas that provides great shelter from rain and winds, packing up camp in the rain or snow is a real pain. The tent material inevitably gets wet while packing up, and requires drying once the sun comes out again. Another major weakness of the Flip-Pac is that is provides no awning area off the back of the truck (think muddy shoes and paws), and there are no roof racks. While people add on such features themselves, I am hesitant to drill through the relatively thin fiberglass of the Flip-Pac. AT-Overland has solved some of these issues (at a price) with their version of the Flip-Pac called the Tacoma Habitat.

Build_photo_03.jpg
Above: The bed of the Flip-Pac comfortably sleeps two people, and uncomfortably sleeps two people and two dogs.

Goose Gear storage solutions deserves most of the credit for making our house a home. Before I describe the Goose Gear layout, let me rave a little bit about the design process. One way to objectively assess the quality of customer service a company provides is to look back through your emails and see how many it took before someone got sick of your endless questions and decided that your business wasn't worth their effort. Gmail quantifies this number as 103 and counting, as we are still sending questions to Goose Gear and they have yet to stop responding politely. Our build process went something like this: I would send a photo like the one below to Brian, and then he would email back with a layout like the one below without mentioning how ridiculously useless my photo was. We iterated this process several times until we arrived at what we both agreed was an optimal storage layout.

Build_photo_04.jpg
Above: This is an example of a layout, planning photo that I sent to Brian.

Build_photo_05.jpg
Above: This is an example of a layout planning photo that Brian would send to me.

Brian and his family have been working in the cabinetry business for over two decades, and have the expertise and equipment to show for it. Brian was able to come up with a very open layout designed around the use of Front Runner Flatpack storage boxes in place of sliding drawers. The aim was to reduce the materials used, and thereby the overall weight and expense of the build. Any part of the storage system that we would be walking on was made of Baltic Birch, while non-weight bearing panels were made out of Okume plywood. Both are laminated with Formica MicroDot for added strength durability, and ease of cleaning. All paneling is held together by American made aluminum extrusion, which not only makes the whole storage system serviceable, but also provides an attachment point for customizable fittings. Jen and I have found these fittings to be one of the best parts of the build, and I will highlight them further below. Goose Gear also came up with a great layout for the dual battery system, USB and 12V chargers, and lights. Battery management is taken care of by the CTEK D250S, which allows the house battery to charge off of the alternator while driving, and charge off of solar when parked for extended periods.

Jen and I began our honeymoon last year by driving out to Westminster, California, where we met Brian, Matt, and Mitch from Goose Gear. We spent a few days surfing around Westminster while the guys completed the build, and then spent a week surfing our way up the coast with our new home. Many thanks to Brian, Matt, and Mitch for their great work, and to our friends and family for help making this a reality. The following photos will walk through the entire storage system. I thought it might be useful to show the storage both empty, as well as packed, and provide comments on specific items within the photo captions.

Build_photo_06.jpg
Above: This is a view from the bed, with the hammock stored off to the left. The USB and 12V charging ports can be seen to the right of the blue Lifesaver jerry can, as well as at the back of the truck on the passenger's side.

Build_photo_07.jpg
Above: This is a view from the back, with the slide-out fridge/freezer currently stored. The cutting board stored above the fridge/freezer is removable, allowing access to the fridge from inside the truck.

Build_photo_08.jpg
Above: This is a posterior view of the slide-out fridge/freezer on the driver's side, and rear access storage on the passenger's side.

Build_photo_09.jpg
Above: Close-up of the rear access storage on the passenger's side

Build_photo_10.jpg
Above: Passenger's side storage

Last edited:

twoyearsnotice

Build_photo_11.jpg
Above: This is the driver’s side storage. The cutting board on the left of the photo can be removed to gain access to the fridge/freezer. The panel on the lower right, just below the fire extinguisher, can be removed to access additional storage. The top of the cabinet sits at waist level, perfect for cooking.

Build_photo_12.jpg
Above: Access to the fridge/freezer after removing the cutting board

Build_photo_13.jpg
Above: This is the storage adjacent to the truck cab. The dual battery system is on the passenger’s side.

Build_photo_14.jpg
Above: Close up of the dual battery system

Build_photo_15.jpg
Above: This is a close-up of one style of fitting that can be used with the aluminum extrusion. Several types of fittings can be used with the extrusion, and each can be moved to wherever needed. This helps create a very adaptable storage system, where straps can be used to secure various items can be re-arranged. The fire extinguisher in the background is also attached to the extrusion.

Build_photo_16.jpg
Above: This is a shot of the aluminum extrusion and flexible light strip. We typically store our solar panel behind the cabinet, located to the left in this photo.

Build_photo_17.jpg
Above: USB and 12V charging ports

Build_photo_18.jpg
Above: This is the storage adjacent to the truck cab, filled with climbing gear, water, and the rain fly. Sleeping bags usually go in here as well.

Build_photo_19.jpg
Above: This is the passenger’s side storage filled with recovery gear, air compressor, dog food, and other dog related items. Pillows and extra items typically go on the left by the Wyeth-Scott Power Puller.

Build_photo_20.jpg
Above: Driver’s side storage, with (R → L) Lifesaver jerry can water filter, Cook Partner stove (top), Front Runner Flatpacks with food and cooking supplies (bottom), and Front Runner Flatpacks with our clothes and toiletries. The black bags attached to the Flatpacks are made by Blue Ridge Overland Gear, and are used to store our frequently accessed items.

twoyearsnotice

More Than Just Gear

Our initial experience at BRCM highlighted that our shortcomings were not only, or even mostly, in the gear department. Simply put, we had no idea how to drive off-road, or how to do even basic vehicle maintenance and service. I am embarrassed to admit that I had never even changed my own oil at that point. This build was to serve several purposes, namely increasing the functionality of the truck while building my own experience and confidence working on the truck. While I haven’t done all of the work myself, I am proud of what I have managed to do so far. I started with simple jobs like changing the oil and spark plugs and slowly progressed to installing the aftermarket bumpers and replacing the entire suspension including the rear leaf springs. Jen and I have also gone to Overland Expo (East and West) the last couple of years, where I have learned a lot about vehicle recovery. After many winter weekends spent working in the garage, and many spring days spent looking ridiculous jacking my truck up in the drive way and winching it to trees in the yard, I decided that it was time to return to BRCM.

Return to Big Rock Candy Mountain

As we turned off of the old forest service road, onto an even older forest service road, my heart rate clicked up a few notches. If my memory proved right, it wouldn’t be long until the obstacles began to mount. A few turns later we arrived at what had been the first difficult section a year earlier, and I breathed a small sigh of relief. Grooves left by runoff, which had needed to be filled with logs the previous year, were passable in their current condition. It was early April in Colorado, the traditional start of two of our most active months of heavy snow and rain. We had beaten the heavy runoff and had great trail conditions to show for it. Still, knowing that we had only made it half way to BRCM the year before, this small victory wasn’t enough to put me completely at ease. The truck felt like it was floating over sections of trail that it had struggled with the previous year. OK, so that is a bit of an exaggeration, but at least I wasn’t repetitively slamming its differential this time around. We cruised through a few more obstacles, Steve getting out to spot the way for me each time, and soon we were venturing into new territory. The driving became progressively more technical, with granite slabs taking the place of deep ruts on many of the descents. With each new obstacle overcome, the experience became decidedly more fun and less stressful. And then suddenly the fun was over, and we were there. Big Rock Candy Mountain.

Build_photo_21.jpg
Above: Some relief at the start of the unmaintained service road, which proved to be in better condition than the year before

Build_photo_22.jpg
Above: Steve helping me see the line

Build_photo_23.jpg
Above: Venturing into new territory, an adventure before the adventure

As soon as we arrived, we did what any good climber does and took a “shortcut” to the start of the climb, and immediately got lost. After a couple of hours spent bushwhacking through gullies and wandering aimlessly through fields of boulders, we arrived soaked in sweat, just in time for afternoon thunderstorms to start raining on us. BRCM is steeped in climbing history, a place where a proud and bold ethic of no “unnecessary” bolting has developed. The early ascenionists developed routes by ascending long sections of difficult climbing without protection (e.g. bolts), stopping only once they had found a stance large enough to balance on. At this point, often fifty to seventy feet above their last piece of protection, they would hand drill a hole and place a bolt, and then continue upwards in a similar fashion. Considering this history, and our amateur-ish mindsets, our decision to go drink a few beers and come back in the morning was a pretty easy one to make.

Build_photo_24.jpg
Above: Steve eyeing up tomorrow’s climb on Big Rock Candy Mountain

With thunderstorms in the forecast, we decided to get a reasonably early start on Sunday. Having learned our lesson the day before, we made the approach in forty-five minutes instead of two and half hours. The climb we had chosen started with three pitches of off-width, a style of climbing where one slowly makes upward progress through a combination of groveling, bleeding, crying, and dry heaving. Being my birthday, I set out hyperventilating my way up the early pitches in a wonderful display of style-less climbing. Above the off-width, the climbing transitioned from one granite formation to another, which was accomplished by “leaning across a chasm” according to our route description. It soon became evident that the author of this description had played basketball prior to beginning climbing, as leaning across the chasm left me a full two feet short of the first hand hold. After re-assessing, and determining that a more reasonable option did not exist, I resorted to throwing myself across the gap in an attempt at what a more coordinated person would call a jump. Gaining the ledge, I began to tiptoe slowly upwards, frictioning up small crystals on what would turn out to be the best climbing of the day. One more adventurous pitch led us to the top, where we snapped a summit photo, and then promptly scurried to the rappels when the first bolt of lighting indicated that we had already overstayed our welcome. Flush with endorphins and soothed by beer, the drive out seemed almost carefree, and took about half as long as the drive in. Feeling comfortable on terrain that had once turned me back was the perfect end to a great birthday weekend.

Build_photo_25.jpg
Above: The highlight of the day, jumping the gap to the thin handrail to start the fourth pitch

Build_photo_26.jpg
Above: Jenny loving the beautiful slab climbing, the backdrop, and life

Build_photo_27.jpg
Above: Obligatory summit photo of (L → R) Steve, Jen, and I, a few minutes before the first flash of lighting and the start of hail

Build_photo_28.jpg
Above: Getting ready to call it a night under some clear skies

We Would Love to Meet You!

Two of the primary functions of a build thread are to inspire others and to help others by sharing what you have learned. I hope this build thread will achieve at least one of those to functions. Of everything I have learned through this process, the most important may be that adventure is a mindset that can be applied to all kinds of activity, not just rock climbing. Uncertainty, perhaps the most fundamental part of adventure, will always be part of working on vehicles and driving off road. Embrace it.

Overland Expo West 2016
Come visit us at Overland Expo West 2016! We will be in the featured vehicles section, and would love to meet you and hear about your adventures.

Instagram
You can also follow us on Instagram at TwoYearsNotice, TwoYearsNotice_Brandon, and TwoYearsNotice_Jen. Steve Collins can be found on tinder next time you are driving through Fort Collins, CO.

Blog
Once our travels begin, you will be able to follow along with us at the three times www"dot"twoyearsnotice"dot"com (Expedition Portal wouldn't allow me to post an actual link).

Search
#Goose Gear #FlipPac #Tacoma #Overland

billy bee

Adventurer
Very interesting and informative. Thanks for the intro. Look forward to hearing and reading much more. Meanwhile, I'll be looking at the Goose Gear cabinetry more closely...

bb

twoyearsnotice

Here you go Austin. It is raining pretty solid out today, so instead of grabbing proper photos of the bumper I just snagged a few random ones I had laying around. Everything you see is lockable, including the jerry cans and axe/shovel storage. The jerry can holder can be removed in a couple of minutes. Hopefully the photos help!

Build_Reply_01.jpg
Above: The rectangular box below the hi-lift jack in this photo is the locking aluminum storage box.

Build_Reply_02.jpg
Above: License plate is currently attached to the spare tire carrier. There is a proper mount for it at the hitch receiver, but we typically have that occupied by our bike rack. Maxtrax can also be attached to the spare tire carrier, though I haven't done this yet. I also added a temporary set of tail lights as the bumper obscures the Tacoma's a little. I will be looking for a more permanent solution to this before we take off on our trip.

Build_Reply_03.jpg
Above: While the tailgate is open to about 90 degrees (where it can be locked in place) in all of these photos, it can be opened a fair bit further, probably closer to 140 degrees.

Clawhammer

Adventurer
Looks great! Are you all in FoCo too? That's one of my favorite towns anywhere and can't wait to get back out there.

*edited to add, just actually looked and yes you're in Foco. Nevermind. I need more coffee....*

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
Looks awesome, following you guys on instagram. Mind sharing more details on the dual battery setup+ electronics? Names of the items used?

X2

I love the build, I have a soft spot for 1st gen Tacomas. Im working on a similar build for my Tundra and I really like the sounds of your dual battery system, any details would be great!

Arclight

SAR guy
That's a very nice build! We love our Flippac too. One note: I'm assuming that your 12V house battery is a sealed type. Keep an eye on it for leakage, as acid fumes/contact are one of the few things that can actually degrade nylon ropes and slings.

Cheers,

Arclight

Last edited:

Graton

Great set-up - I'm in the process of outfitting my Tacoma, though I'm starting with an AT Habitat. Your Goose Gear looks perfect, but wondering what was your approximate cost for all of their hardware?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles