Toyota 4runner or Jeep XJ

nfrondall

I am looking to buy a first car which will be for overlanding. I have kinda narrowed it down te between a 3rd gen Toyota 4runner or a 1997-2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ. I was wondering which would be a better choice. I would plan on adding a small lift and front a rear bumpers. If you have any other suggestions for vehicles feel free to add suggest them.

deadly99

Explorer
Reliability....how far from home do you intend to travel and across what sort of terrain? Specifics will help folks offer advice

SnoViking

Adventurer
Go with the 4Runner. Find one with zero rust, be vigilant about the future rust and drive it forever. It's basically a mini land cruiser 100 series. ��

4x4junkie

Explorer
The XJ can be had for a helluva lot cheaper...
People put huge price premiums on used Toyotas due to a widespread belief they have spectacular reliability (and their reliability certainly is decent, but definitely not spectacular). Between the two vehicles you mentioned, the Toyota indeed is likely to be more reliable, though still not by enough to justify shelling out 2-3× more for a 15-20 year old truck.

If you have any other suggestions for vehicles feel free to add suggest them.

You might take a look at the Ford Explorer. They tend to be on par with the XJ's pricing in the used market, yet should have far better reliability if you get the right drivetrain configuration and maintain it correctly. Only caveats are stay away from the SOHC 4.0L V6 (timing chain issues) the OHV 4.0L is the better engine, and do put an external cooler on it if you get one with an automatic trans, as they tend to run hot otherwise which shortens their life. 2nd-gen & later Explorers can be found with a V8 engine too.

Another one you might look at is the Nissan Xterra. I don't know quite as much about Nissans as I do Fords and Toyotas, but they seem like a durable, well-rounded rig as well.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
I have to agree with 4x4Junkie. The Explorer should be on your short list. It is very capable, both the V8 and the V6 are proven winners. Tons of these things were made so plenty to pick from. You always find some at a Pull Apart. You always be able to go to a parts store and find what you are looking for. Personally I love the 1st gen but the second gen has nicer interior and the V8 option.

carlo muro

I'm not sure the V8 Explorer came with a 2 speed X-case. Mine didn't have low range. With 3.73 gears it was about the quickest SUV around in the late '90s though

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk

4x4junkie

Explorer
A F-150 2-speed T-case (BW4406 I think) should be a direct swap into a V8 Explorer.

Lots of parts interchangeability with it's Ranger pickup brethren also.

MrWesson

Adventurer
4runners are really reliable

XJ's are just as reliable.. The 4.0 runs forever.

I'd go for the 4runner for a build because its just much nicer to modify a vehicle with a frame vs unibody for winches/sliders/bumpers/etc.

The 4runner isn't 2x the vehicle the XJ is though.

7echo

Adventurer
I like my 3rd gen T4R. One thing I noticed after driving it for about 1 1/2 years is that it is smallish. That can be a good and/or bad thing depending on your use.

I have a '99 Limited (and for me), came with the best combo of 4WD and lockers.

There is a huge after market available for Jeeps.

Both of these vehicles have good forums where you can read and learn and ask questions.

For you guys suggesting the Explorer can you narrow down the years that are considered best?

east_tn_81

Adventurer
A F-150 2-speed T-case (BW4406 I think) should be a direct swap into a V8 Explorer.

Lots of parts interchangeability with it's Ranger pickup brethren also.

That is the great thing about explorers, some many parts are interchangeable from rangers, and F150's. I believe some explorers came with the beefier 31 spline rear axles. A quick visit to the Rangerstation.com and you find out how upgradeable and tough the explorer rely is.

Barb The Yeti

Observer
I might be on the unpopular side, but I say go for the XJ. Make sure its a 96+ with the high output 4.0, and the NP242 transfer case, though that is the most common configuration so it shouldnt be difficult. Make sure you don't have a dana35 in the rear, and you can go 33" tires with no issues. On my old cherokee, I had a 3" lift, and 31x10.5 R15 tires, which was a great combo for me. They are VERY easy to modify, parts are very very cheap and available. The 4.0 is extremely reliable, and my friends jeep with the same specs as mine, has been to hell and back with no problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94