Raul's Awning- $50 self-supported, quick and solid solution.

Raul

Adventurer
I wanted an awning that was easy to deploy and remove but I didn't want to spend and arm and a leg or have to install a roof rack. After thinking about it for a while and strolling the ails of Home Depot, Lowes, Academy and Walmart, I came up with this:

IMG_7537.jpg

This is the first version, with the cheapest 6x8 tarp ($2.5) I found at Walmart. I'll post more pictures with the new, heavier duty tarp.
Materials:
* 8x10 or whatever you need tarp
* 2 telescopic tend poles ($6 at Academy)
* 2 shower head support suction cups
* 2x PVC fittings
* 2x PVC 4" Bushings
* 2x Rubber connectors
* Bungee cords as needed
* 3x Fiber glass poles (I used the ones for driveway reflectors) $2 at Walmart.
* 6x Plywood clips
* Zip ties
* Adhesive tape
* Old motorcycle tire

The Eureka moment was using the clips to latch on the rain gutter. The main thing is to fold the clips to create a "nail" that latches on the rain gutter
On this picture I was using bamboo skewers to spread the load of the clips. On the new version I am using 3 fiberglass poles to connect 2 clips at the time.
IMG_7547.JPG
The following picture show the latest version, with rubber from a tire instead of electric tape to protect the paint.
IMG_7571.JPG

The other thing was finding a suction cup. I am sure there should be a better option that these, but with the rubber connector and the PVC fittings they work great.
IMG_7551.jpg
IMG_7542.jpg

I've tried for short periods of time and it seems to hold very well even with wind. I'll report when I use it on trips. I'll update with pictures with the new tarp and the proper internal poles. Here is another shot of the cheap prototype with the outdoor shower.
IMG_7556.jpg
IMG_7541.jpg

Last edited:

Treenail

Adventurer
Very clever solution

I'm not a fan of bungee cords. They stretch at the worst times. I'd use webbing with metal friction buckles like is used to strap Kayaks into racks or ratchet straps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94