Overland Expo West Onsite camping sold out. What are my options

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
So bummed I just finalized my schedule to get work off for the Overland West Expo and want to bring my 2 boys with me only to find out the onsite camping is sold out. So now It looks like I have to find some other place to camp and drive in each day if I wanna go. Anyone know any other options at this point where I can go thats not a long drive each day to go see the expo? So bummed the onsite camping is sold out. Also with the other campgrounds I'm assuming they probably fill up quickly also so that may not even be an option. This sucks.. Please someone give me some good news..

Maxcustody

Explorer
There are a ton of options right in the NF down the road. Also a couple of campgrounds within a few miles. I stayed in the NF before the expo and it was perfect. You will see numerous sites off the fire roads

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
There are a ton of options right in the NF down the road. Also a couple of campgrounds within a few miles. I stayed in the NF before the expo and it was perfect. You will see numerous sites off the fire roads

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

About how far from the expo are these sites off the Fire Roads. And do you know if these are a first come first serve or are they advanced reservations required sites? Thanks..

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
About how far from the expo are these sites off the Fire Roads. And do you know if these are a first come first serve or are they advanced reservations required sites? Thanks..

Plenty of camping off the forest roads, no reservation required and you will be within 5 minutes, also there are some camping grounds spots within 5 and ten minutes.

texascrane

Adventurer
Get a hard copy of the MVUM. The digital versions don't seem to show the dispersed camping locations that the hard copy does. There's a ton of dispersed camping all over the area.

1Louder

Explorer
Get a hard copy of the MVUM. The digital versions don't seem to show the dispersed camping locations that the hard copy does. There's a ton of dispersed camping all over the area.

2016 PDF shows it just fine in Avenza or other PDF viewers I have used.

texascrane

Adventurer
2016 PDF shows it just fine in Avenza or other PDF viewers I have used.

You're right. I missed the fact that they're showing camping areas in the digital versions using highlighting along the road. I was looking for the little dots that they use in the hard copies.

hurstjd

Adventurer
Also, I saw somewhere that they will have shuttle service along the main road. So, you should be able too camp in dispersed camping and catch the shuttle back and forth.

1Louder

Explorer
Also, I saw somewhere that they will have shuttle service along the main road. So, you should be able too camp in dispersed camping and catch the shuttle back and forth.

Mentioned here: http://www.overlandexpo.com/app/

UPDATE—MAY 17: Now offering SHUTTLE service from nearby camping areas to / from Overland Expo.

Although we are no longer selling Weekend Passes with Camping on-site, you can still purchase a Weekend Pass and camp nearby. There is a lot of dispersed camping areas in the surrounding forest. Check www.overlandexpo.com/flagstaff/#camping for map and recommendations. Please note that if organized campgrounds are full, there is plenty of dispersed camping along forest roads. Utilize a topo map or your mapping app to find these roads, which do not show up on the map on the web page above.

The shuttle will be running from 7 am – 6 pm, in a loop on FR90 / Mormon Lake Road and Lake Mary Road. To catch the shuttle, which will say Overland Expo on it, you must be visibly standing next to the main road (the shuttle will not be going into campgrounds or on dirt roads) and flag the driver when you see it. The shuttle will run continuously and not at exact times, so please be flexible with your schedule.

If you are driving in and parking on-site is full, there is additional parking along Mormon Lake Road. Feel free to catch the shuttle to the entrance of the event.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior