TRAVEL IN STYLE: The Travel Shirt Review

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
I'm sorry that showing a humorous picture of my athletic skinny self with my shirt open, with my technical boxer's waist band showing (reviewed here: http://www.exploringelements.com/review-all-underwear-is-not-created-equal/), is not "rugged" enough for you.

Dude I thought that was awesome! I love it when a retailer/company has a sense of humor.

Unfortunately, like Hilldweller, I am shaped differently than most men my age (47). Being 6'-1" and 250 lbs from hitting the iron, I cannot order shirts - or even buy off the rack - shirts without trying them on first. I am pretty close to moving from an XXL to an XXXL but most shirts that size are made for fatties. If I can find something that fits my chest/back/shoulders/arms, then the material around the stomach area looks like a balloon on me. I am stuck wearing t-shirts and custom made dress shirts. Pants are even getting harder and harder to find. "Regular" jeans are starting to look like skinny jeans on me bc of my thighs.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
The rubber button thing is not something I've ever looked for on a shirt, but interesting that it is so important to you. I'll keep it in mind when looking at shirts. The Montane shirt has plastic snap closures instead of buttons, which I think will do most things you are asking of the rubber buttons.

My site, Exploring Elements, is about outdoor adventure and overland travel. I'm sorry that showing a humorous picture of my athletic skinny self with my shirt open, with my technical boxer's waist band showing (reviewed here: http://www.exploringelements.com/review-all-underwear-is-not-created-equal/), is not "rugged" enough for you. Everything in this shirt review is relative and authentic to an athletic active overland traveler.

Lol I misread this the first time around. I was thinking "Hmm, I never knew Bryon was a boxer". :)

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Dude I thought that was awesome! I love it when a retailer/company has a sense of humor.

Unfortunately, like Hilldweller, I am shaped differently than most men my age (47). Being 6'-1" and 250 lbs from hitting the iron, I cannot order shirts - or even buy off the rack - shirts without trying them on first. I am pretty close to moving from an XXL to an XXXL but most shirts that size are made for fatties. If I can find something that fits my chest/back/shoulders/arms, then the material around the stomach area looks like a balloon on me. I am stuck wearing t-shirts and custom made dress shirts. Pants are even getting harder and harder to find. "Regular" jeans are starting to look like skinny jeans on me bc of my thighs.
I found a couple of Columbia shirts on sale at their Outlet Store nearby over the weekend. They actually fit and didn't billow at the waist. Made out of some super-duper moisture transport stuff.
But yeah, you gotta try them on. It sucks to order a shirt that you think will fit and you can't stick your arms through it.

I have 3 pairs of 511 pants, 2 are their 1st generation and haven't worn out. I wear the old ones for yardwork and when I work on the Jeep. The newish pair for CERT training when I have to look pretty. I've tried their shirts in the past but found them tight around the upper arms; I'll try again and see what's new.
Like Steven is saying, shirts are either for fatties or skinnies these days. Doesn't seem to be a big enough market for the NFL sized demographic.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Found some great light weight, easy dry shirts at Eddie Bauer and will be taking a few on my trip to Morocco soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles