midsize Ford Ranger pickup, Bronco SUV coming in a couple of years ?

haven

Expedition Leader
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2019-ford-ranger-25-cars-worth-waiting-for-feature

Car and Driver is joining speculation that Ford will re-introduce the Ranger as a midsize pickup in 2019, followed by the Bronco SUV in 2020. Engines probably will include the 3.2L 5 cylinder turbodiesel that Ford uses in the Transit van, and one or two of the Ecodiesel turbo gas engines.

Ford may be waiting until 2019 so they can build the Ranger in North America. Otherwise, the Ranger might run afoul of the 25% "chicken tax" tariff. Thailand, where the Ranger is currently constructed, is not at present part of the Trans Pacific Partnership.

Wrangler vs Bronco sounds interesting. GM might dust off the blueprints for the Hummer 3 and join the party.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The bronco will have to have a removable roof, real off road chops, and a vast aftermarket if its to even compete with the wrangler. At this point.....the other manufacturers have ALOT of catch up to do to even bring something to market that will even hang with Jeep sales.

My guess is that the bronco will be another FJ cruiser. sell 2000 a year and be done. That's Canadian sales numbers. btw.

peasy

OMG in like 20 years I bet I could afford one of these- would LOVE a diesel ranger or bronco, with a stick - but they retired their heavy truck's manual transmissions afaik...too bad it looks ugly af

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If the Bronco comes back it will be in name only. Possibly a version of the Everest SUV they sell in other markets but I wouldn't be surprised to see it as a unibody crossover. Either way it will not likely have a removable top, there just isn't enough demand for something like that.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Nope, exactly right. Jeep has that market cornered and I don't think anyone can crack that egg anymore. Toyota had the chance with the FJ but never followed through.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Gm so far cant seem to get enough diesels out to keep one on the lot. Id say they are doing well.

The one thing the existing ranger has going is a little better interior layout and rear seating space over the Colorado/Canyon.
I'm really curious. I would love to have one!!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yo be bluntly honest, our 2016 Fusion the tech package sucks bad! GM going the route of using current best of breed apps would be enough to sway me a brand over another brand with similar offerings today.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Yo be bluntly honest, our 2016 Fusion the tech package sucks bad! GM going the route of using current best of breed apps would be enough to sway me a brand over another brand with similar offerings today.

While some of us see the tech crap as just another distraction put in front of an already irresponsible and clueless generation and prefer to buy a vehicle without that extra stuff, each to their own though. Now if only they would get smart and build a Fusion wagon with AWD and a high output Eco Boost we would have a winner, even better if it had a turbo diesel that achieves 40mpg.

bdp1978

Adventurer
While some of us see the tech crap as just another distraction put in front of an already irresponsible and clueless generation and prefer to buy a vehicle without that extra stuff, each to their own though. Now if only they would get smart and build a Fusion wagon with AWD and a high output Eco Boost we would have a winner, even better if it had a turbo diesel that achieves 40mpg.

I dont think the manufacturers consider you to be their target market.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My wife averages 75-85mpg with her Fusion. Its a plugin hybrid. $1.50 to charge at work and our Solar ar home covers our electric 100%. ;-)

4x4junkie

Explorer
The bronco will have to have a removable roof, real off road chops, and a vast aftermarket if its to even compete with the wrangler. At this point.....the other manufacturers have ALOT of catch up to do to even bring something to market that will even hang with Jeep sales.

My guess is that the bronco will be another FJ cruiser. sell 2000 a year and be done. That's Canadian sales numbers. btw.

Those are also my fears exactly.

If the Bronco comes back it will be in name only. Possibly a version of the Everest SUV they sell in other markets but I wouldn't be surprised to see it as a unibody crossover. Either way it will not likely have a removable top, there just isn't enough demand for something like that.
Such thinking would make more sense if we were 3-4 pages in before someone commented they wanted a removable top... However said comment is the very first reply to the thread (and I'm sure more are to follow). Whether people actually take the top off or not is really irrelevant, the want for it is there (the vehicle just wouldn't "be right" without it anyway). You could be right that it will wind up being a rebadged Everest, as I do believe the Everest is based on the current global Ranger... Though Ford also has the Troller T4 in their global stable too, which would be FAR more deserving of the Bronco badge (I can only hope). I'd be somewhat surprised if it ends up a unibody cute-ute though, Ford already has one of those: the Escape.

Nope, exactly right. Jeep has that market cornered and I don't think anyone can crack that egg anymore. Toyota had the chance with the FJ but never followed through.

Toyota blew it with a POS that was completely incapable of cracking that egg.
Solid axle + removable top + easy accessibility for the aftermarket = cracked egg. The FJ Cruiser had none of those.
People want a solid front axle on their offroad lifestyle vehicle. Plain & simple. The fact that the crude unreliable noisy Jeep Wrangler sells 200K+ units a year (that's 10 for every one FJC) flies right ********** in the face of any thinking that people want IFS. They do not. End of story.

Whether a solid axle Bronco w/removable top could actually overtake Jeep sales figures I'm not yet sure, but I do know it could certainly put one heck of a dent in them.
I would buy such a Bronco long before I'd even think of buying a Wrangler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles