HEMA Explorer North America

Kevin108

Explorer
Not seeing it as available at all now. It appears to have been completely pulled as any old links found via google just now pop up a message that the app isn't available in my country (US):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.hemamaps.globalexplorer&hl=en_GB

So much for my plan to run this on a cheap android tablet rather than my iPhone.

That link is for their other app au.com.hemamaps.globalexplorer covering Australia and the country it's set for is Great Britain.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.hemamaps.explorer&hl=en works for US devices, but it's not the Hema North America Explorer app.

Kevin108

Explorer
I subscribed earlier this year. It looks like it has the feature set I want, but when downloading offline maps, I've had problems getting full zoomed-in clarity. I broke my phone that same trip though so I haven't looked into it since then.

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
I subscribed earlier this year. It looks like it has the feature set I want, but when downloading offline maps, I've had problems getting full zoomed-in clarity. I broke my phone that same trip though so I haven't looked into it since then.

Any idea which layers you were trying to download? Some of the layers have higher detail than others.

Alfissimo

Gaia GPS! Nuff said. For those that don't own Gaia compare the screenshots between the apps. They are running thr same engines for the most part but Gaia has way more map choices at the moment. Gaia is also working on routing. I don't think they should have released it in its current form. Those that don't know any better will be excited. Those that do will sit back and wait to see what happens. Gaia is a great app with a growing team of developers. Hema would have to come out with something way better for me to invest. I understand they are very popular elsewhere.

So if you are tempted by this take a look at GAIA.

I'll also add I find USFS Raster maps to be the most detailed and useful. If Hema doesn't have that or something similar forget it.

I have to agree. After some time with research, HEMA is not all that great. I think it's been pushed by them at the overland expo and through expedition overland crew. I see it's potential but GAIA is much more useful.

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
still no update for Android! Too little, too late!

Why does Overland Journal continue to say this is a useful app? I've subscribed to the Journal since day one, but if they continue to push Hema, I may have to cancel my subscription.

codemunky

I've been using Backcountry Navigator for quite some time, which I find useful. Backcountry Navigator XE is in the works. Supposedly it has updated maps. I took advantage of their Kickstarter not too long ago. They also have this on another social funding site. I forget which it was.

1Louder

Explorer
I've been using Backcountry Navigator for quite some time, which I find useful. Backcountry Navigator XE is in the works. Supposedly it has updated maps. I took advantage of their Kickstarter not too long ago. They also have this on another social funding site. I forget which it was.

IndieGoGo. Most Kickstarter campaigns transition over to that site once funded. Supposed to be released this month. I don't see a lot different from what Gaia offers and they have more developers. BUT Who knows. I will check it out when released.

gabrielef

I just got Gaia and tried it a couple days later this past weekend. I loved it. I found that some of the service roads aren't completely mapped so creating a route wasn't complete. I suppose I can just create waypoints. Still have to read up on things!

PabloM

Just so everyone knows, Hema finally released the long awaited UI update so it works OK with iOS 11 now. They also added a few map layers.

If you're a Hema NA user, I created a FB group so we can discuss things too =)
http://hema.li/fbgroup

Hi Shane! Any major updates since las UI update? I am currently using GAIA, but it's been a few years now since HEMA started to work in north America maps and I'm curious how it has been coming along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles