HEMA Explorer North America

PabloM

HEMA just released the app for IOS HEMA Explorer. I been looking at that mapping company for quite a while and they seemed to be very reliable based on the Australian customer acceptance. But I been using Motion X GPS for several years and the price difference is quite important. I wonder if it's worth the stretch.

App web page

http://www.hemamaps.com/en/News/~/link.aspx?_id=837808824EA24EEDB10627ECA52B487C&_z=z

Characteristics:
Track your GPS position in real-time on offline maps
Use trusted topographic mapping to explore North America backcountry: USGS Topo, Thunderforest Outdoors and Canada Topo
Use additional street and touring maps for navigating populated areas: Hema USA Road Map, HERE Street and Canada Street mapping
Generate an offline route to an address or waypoint using Quick Routing
Save a log of your trip with track recordings, geotagged photos, waypoints and trip notes
Backup all your trip data to your free Hema Explorer Cloud account which you can share with the Hema Explorer community
Share your trips online with friends and family

All of these features are found in Motion X GPS but a few like the storage and sharing of tracks and waypoints via cloud service. Generate offline routes (which I currently do in Oziexplorer and export it).

Any thoughts?

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I'm curious how good their trail database will be. I'm already fine using BackCountry Navigator and the CALtopo maps for map sets and seeing the "lay of the land". And being able to import/export .kml files is clutch for bringing over my POI maps off Google My Maps and then re-uploading route tracks to trip reports.

But it would be nice having upto date trails since so many of the USGS trail/road database is decades old.
I'm also Android so I'll continue to wait to find out.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Well the moment I seen it I jumped on it, given HEMA's reputation. I had it downloaded Monday night.

My initial impressions, are kind of....meh. At this moment do I feel it was $20 well spent...no.

The issues sounds like, per the member here that consults for them, that they wanted it released in time for Overland ExPo, and it's available but it not working to it's full potential. I've found a few features within the program that simply do nothing when I try. Was that a good decision on their part, probably not for anyone who is knowledgeable about navigation and the current options available, like me are going to be kind of annoyed with it. They get on forums like me and talk about it, that is not good for them. Do I want them to make a killer nav app, absolutely, would I put my money where my mouth is? I think I already have. Am I going to say "that's okay" and gloss over it after I pay to play and see it's not up to the hype, of course not.

However, I see a framework for something great if they keep after it and don't say "oh it's done" and leave it at that. Creating an auto-route plan within the app is nice, as is the in app ability to make a new point-to-point route. These features are limited at best but workable, and that in the same app as Topo mapping and detailed track recording is a unique feature I haven't seen elsewhere that actually adds value. It has very limited capabilities at this point overall, but if they improve upon it, that will be the game changer.

The cloud features are cool, but to me that is not part of navigation, merely a side gig. For people who can't work with GIS data, it might be a life saver. It is not working properly, however it's something that I'll enjoy because I have the ability to create content like that. I already posted about a 115 mile route on their cloud, and it lets you dress it up with comments, photos, and waypoints. It's nice for sharing data and if people put the time into it can make for some excellent trip presentations if you want to share with the community.

If my $20 means as they upgrade the program I get those upgrades without any additional charge, I'm fine with being in on the ground floor and watching it evolve. If they want my feedback I'll gladly give it, and I believe their consultant that frequents here has taken note of the comments made. If HEMA listens to him, that is what will make the program stand out. But, if I am an early adopter and they "fix it" and release it as a separate charge, I'm totally going to feel ripped off.

If they keep working on it, it may be the best thing going. As of this moment, MotionX HD still has them beat.

As for mapping options, it's basically HERE maps and USGS Topo (circa what, the 60's?). Nothing extra or more detailed than already available. It does have options to save this offline though, which is a big positive. However MotionX can do this as well with decent maps, so it's no game changer.

Bottom line, do I think it can be the best 4x4 mapping app, quite possibly. Is it there now, no.

1Louder

Explorer
Gaia GPS! Nuff said. For those that don't own Gaia compare the screenshots between the apps. They are running thr same engines for the most part but Gaia has way more map choices at the moment. Gaia is also working on routing. I don't think they should have released it in its current form. Those that don't know any better will be excited. Those that do will sit back and wait to see what happens. Gaia is a great app with a growing team of developers. Hema would have to come out with something way better for me to invest. I understand they are very popular elsewhere.

So if you are tempted by this take a look at GAIA.

I'll also add I find USFS Raster maps to be the most detailed and useful. If Hema doesn't have that or something similar forget it.

Last edited:

fogo

Gaia GPS! Nuff said. For those that don't own Gaia compare the screenshots between the apps. They are running thr same engines for the most part but Gaia has way more map choices at the moment. Gaia is also working on routing. I don't think they should have released it in its current form. Those that don't know any better will be excited. Those that do will sit back and wait to see what happens. Gaia is a great app with a growing team of developers. Hema would have to come out with something way better for me to invest. I understand they are very popular elsewhere.

So if you are tempted by this take a look at GAIA.

I'll also add I find USFS Raster maps to be the most detailed and useful. If Hema doesn't have that or something similar forget it.

I'd always heard good things about Hema, so I was excited to see the North America version of Explorer. But the screenshots all look identical to Gaia, which I already have, so I don't see a reason to purchase Hema. Other than the routing is there really a difference between the two apps? I'm curious to know if the Hema app is just a licensed rebrand of the Gaia app, with a few small tweaks here & there.

1Louder

Explorer
I'd always heard good things about Hema, so I was excited to see the North America version of Explorer. But the screenshots all look identical to Gaia, which I already have, so I don't see a reason to purchase Hema. Other than the routing is there really a difference between the two apps? I'm curious to know if the Hema app is just a licensed rebrand of the Gaia app, with a few small tweaks here & there.

Hema is using the same cloud engine but an older version. They have their own development team and are supposedly not associated with GAIA but it makes you wonder. Too many unknowns with a version 1.0 product.

Obviously Hema has a large following in the off-road and overlanding community. Offering the shared tracks via the cloud is nice. Curating content / tracks is nice but there are plenty of other sources for that. At least for now you can look at what is available on the cloud site and you don't need the app to use it. You can download the GPX files and use them with any app. Sites like TrailsOffroad.com , Trail Damage, and regional sites offer similar content. In fact TrailsOffroad offers very detailed information about the trails listed. So if you are looking for tracks I wouldn't necessarily commit myself to Hema for that reason. Gpsxchange.com is another useful resource.

Competition is always good. I think GAIA is well ahead and can keep pace with any innovations that Hema may think they come up with. What Gaia needs are brand evangelists who are willing to talk about the application and promote it within the overlanding community. (Hint Gaia are you listening) Some big guns in the overlanding community are promoting Hema hard and that will help the app get traction whether it's the best out there or not. Best in the eyes of the user of course.

Last edited:

AFSOC

Explorer
What Gaia needs are brand evangelists who are willing to talk about the application and promote it within the overlanding community. (Hint Gaia are you listening) Some big guns in the overlanding community are promoting Hema hard and that will help the app get traction whether it's the best out there or not.

Brilliant and insightful! Absolutely spot on, many (most?) of us are familiar with Hema because we are exposed to Hema in the media we consume. Whether its Cooper tires or Hema mapping, repeated exposure to and association with, stuff that peaks our interest (like 70 series Land Cruisers) creates a comfort and credibility in our minds.

carbon60

Explorer
Yeah, it's the same app as Gaia:
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

Last edited:

carbon60

Explorer
Does anyone have confirmation that Hema just bought a point-in-time copy of Gaia's code and is going to be developing on separate paths?

The_Dude

Adventurer
I bought this and am learning the ins and outs. How big of tile maps do you usually download?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
I'm glad there's already such a great discussion about the new Hema Explorer app! While it's true that there are currently similarities, it will not stay like that very long. Hema has been exploring & mapping the Australian outback for 30 years, so you can bet that they're in this for the long haul in North America.

The feature set in the app today is dialed in (IMHO) for what most vehicle based explorers will need, but I/we are certainly listening to what the community wants. Going foreword Hema wants to build THE global vehicular based exploration platform. No small job to be sure. It is early days :)

if if you have any specific questions post here, email me, or pm me. I'm at Expo now but will respond ASAP.

1Louder

Explorer
I bought this and am learning the ins and outs. How big of tile maps do you usually download?

I always do zoom level 15 or 16 but 16 is like 3-4 times the storage space as 15. It really depends on how much detail you want.

The_Dude

Adventurer
I downloaded the whole western slope of Colorado. 100k tiles and it took hours

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I guess I am kind of old school....yeah I have paper of course, everyone should have paper & compass (and actually know how to use the compass with a map)
But on the tech side of things I mean I am old school in that my netbook works great with OziExplorer and Delorme Topo.
I run both at that same time off a usb GPS puck and Franson GPSGate (to split the incoming signal).
I get auto routes, searching and easy highway stuff on Delorme with good topo, and killer USGS raster old style paper with Ozi.
The only thing I use every once in a while is TerraGo toolbar to run the historic maps with a GPS dot on them. Really nice in the southwest for making the scans of 100 plus year old paper maps come alive.

Of course I am always interested in something better, just watching and waiting to see if this is that better thing.

Anyone looked in HEMA and their Baja coverage?

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Anyone looked in HEMA and their Baja coverage?

The actual HEMA map quite literally looks like a paper Rand McNally road atlas under a magnifying glass. The only reason I can see it's inclusion in the app is because it's the only thing they can grasp onto and say is actually theirs.

They don't use their own mapping, but to be totally fair, few companies do, nor is it a bad thing. There are probably only a handful of companies that actually do the cartography, aside from government agencies. What they have done is get licensed to use other mapping, namely HERE, USGS, and something called Thunderforest.

You can usually find the same mapping online to view:

https://maps.here.com/
http://www.thunderforest.com/maps/outdoors/
http://ngmdb.usgs.gov/maps/topoview/viewer

Anyone expecting HEMA to have more, better, or different mapping than already available is probably expecting too much. What HEMA is doing is trying to provide a user interface for other companies mapping, which doesn't sound as impressive, but is actually still a difficult task.

On a separate note, has anyone been able to sync cloud data from the app in the last week? Mine won't. (Has anyone figured that feature out and tried?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles