Impulse purchase

Nivel Egres

Observer
As of about an hour ago, I am a proud owner of this monstrosity:
e250_4x4.jpg

It is a 2003 Ford E250 van with Quigley 4x4 conversion and a reinforced high-top. By the looks of it, it was built to be a country ambulette. Pretty low miles (62,000), a 5.4L v8 which starts easily and runs strong. The seller just put in a harness for hauling. No rust issues, though some clean-up will be due. The bad - well, a bus style door on passenger side, only one front seat, dead radio (probably a loose wire), weird stair-well on the passenger side.

Is there any work I should do on it the moment it's in my possession?

The idea is that I'll build a rudimentary camper out of it, which I can use some advice on. Here are my key thoughts:

(1) No additional insulation. I've been sleeping in the car for a while and never felt like I needed additional insulation. Worst case I can always get my 5-degree sleeping bag. Main thing, however, is that I intend to stick to moderate weather areas, so I don't expect to be camping in a -20 degree weather. I will add heavy privacy curtains to the windows and that's about it.

(2) I am considering either building a bed myself (wood or 80/20?) or ordering a steel frame that can be bolted to the floor. I don't have a measuring tape handy, but it seems like I can lay sideways - if I can fit, is there a reason to still do make it length-wise?

(3) I am planning to build a closet out of SeaBoard (28" x 33" x 6') that will contain a porta-potty and a shower. Essentially a wet bath. Should I add a proper grey water tank or just route the drain to the outside? Also, the hot water aspect - radiator heat exchanger seems to be the economical DIY solution, but I hear that it's hard to get water to be of the right temperature?

(4) Behind the driver seat, I'll put a removable micro-kitchen (I have one already that I use in my Volvo, a 18" x 18" x 32"). Should I route a line from the same water tank as for the shower or better to keep them separate for flexibility sake? I want to add the seat swivels so I can face whoever I am eating with - how difficult are they to install? Is it a DIY project or should I just pay a pro?

All this, a rear hitch carrier for bouldering pads, a solar system, maybe new tires and I am ready to go!

Pangle

Wanderer
Been watching this one on CL for some time now! I almost made the call several times! Glad to see it went to someone on here... I had an 01 E350 quigley and loved every second of it. Im now working on an f350 ambo. Good luck!

Evil Patrick

I've been catching grey water in a 5-gal bucket with a Gamma lid and washing stinky bike clothes in the shower soap scented grey water, and hang-drying them before chucking them in a dirty laundry bag. Keeps the van smelling nice inside. Then, I use that same grey water to douse campfires.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Random chance I just saw the metal shark link. I work with those boats. Haven't used the head though ;)

Nivel Egres

Observer
I am going to call it The Imp (short for impulse plus it's ugly). Planning out the stages of the build. Due to an injury, I can't climb for a month or two, so I'll have time to do some work on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles