Who here brave it without rock sliders?

Dude you have a Taco, sliders for Taco's are soooooo plentiful this is a non-issue, you can pick anything from $300 up maybe even less if you can do your own welding, just get them.

Now if you were like us in the 2nd Gen Colorado club, Id understand why youre debating :(

Kevin108

Explorer
I disagree with the semantics here. Permanent is not a word that applies to most modifications. Usually, if it can be done, it can be undone.

Drilling holes in a fender for a snorkel makes the fender unusable otherwise, but a new fender is like $40 plus paint.

Nor does drilling a few holes for fasteners doesn't make a frame/underbody mod permanent.

rickashay

Explorer
You will always think sliders are not necessary until its too late....

As mentioned earlier, rocker repairs are insanely expensive and sliders should (IMO) be one of the first modifications a vehicle sees when being used offroad. If you just stick to gravel roads and have no plans to adventure beyond, then you can probably do without. Otherwise get some and never worry again. Not to mention, they serve as hi-lift points, recovery points, steps, and even deter door dings from careless people in the parking lots :)

ericvs

I have a set of bolt on White Knuckle Offroad sliders on my ram. Looks like he makes them for your year Tacoma too.

http://white-knuckleoffroad.com/toyotatacoma.html

It says factory frame holes along with drilled holes. On mine, they were all bolted except for one hole that was suggested only if you felt it needed it.

Very happy with mine.

MROONFJ

Observer
White knuckle all the way

Gateway: 2007 FJC, Current Baby: 1996 Land Cruiser...Mods never end for either.

maktruk

Observer
White Knuckles. Beefy welds, killer powdercoater, awesome packaging, fast shipping, no weld, bit more expensive, totally worth it.

whiskeytacos

Observer
I've run a couple of very difficult trails with my 2014 Tacoma where sliders would have been appreciated, but thus far not necessary. At Vermont Overland Rally I only ran one trail with a short Trophy section, and that's where I bashed my skid plates and broke the 7-pin connector. I do plan on getting sliders so I can run some harder trails. I just replaced my factory skids and the bolt on TRD skid plate with a Pelfreybilt engine/trans skid and I can't imagine it'll stay pretty for long.

nmatcek

Adventurer
I put white knuckle's bolt on sliders on my 100 series. Awesome customer service and a great product. They have already paid for themselves.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

hol571

Another recommendation for the White Knuckle sliders, quality product and John was great to work with. I have them bolted onto my tundra with the full diamond top plate. Painted them vs getting them powder coated to make touch ups easier

Ski Wagon

Been on the fence about sliders for a while now, and this thread may have just convinced me to place an order with RCI (added bonus of supporting a local small business). Visiting this site and other 4x4-related sites can really be bad for your wallet….

JBL13

I bought my 2002 standard-cab Tacoma new and finally had some custom-made sliders welded on a few weeks ago. I'd been thinking about sliders for years. A local fabricator arranged a group buy involving a deep discount, so I went ahead.

I picked up a small ding on the passenger-side rocker panel when the truck was a year old. The truck is stock height on 32" tires.

I four-wheel quite a bit but don't get into anything nasty. The sliders are good insurance.

chmura

Adventurer
I do not have sliders and I wheel a lot unfortunately.

I have dragged it out many years because I had a hard time finding sliders that I like that are bolt on.

I usually take my time and I have a good spotter everytime. The key to preventing damage is going very slow, and assessing the condition of the obstacle, I even stack rocks if I need to.

I recently ordered a set of RCI sliders, but when I opened my rear door it hit the slider swing out. I sent them back to RCI, and they said that they developed the slider on a 2003-2005 4runner that had different cladding on the doors than the 2006-2009 4runners. They corrected the issue now but I am hesitant ordering them again due to how they mount to the frame.

RCI has wonderful customer service I highly recommend doing business with this company.

But now I am back without sliders again..

apollo

well, i proceeded with sliders install today. went with shrockworks. was finally the right time...

i'm two years in and many adventures through the sw U.S. with our 4runner TE, and thus far without sliders...however, i'm currently seriously considering something high and tight...we've had some difficult lines occasionally to avoid chancing contact at the rocker panels...nothing that has really limited us though, so i don't consider them necessary--but perhaps appreciated for the opportunities we might have with them in place

millerfish

Adventurer
Sliders are next on my list of things to toss money at. I think they are well worth the effort. The one issue I see is, from a stress standpoint drilling in to the Web or vertical surface of the frame has very little affect on strenth. However drilling in to the upper or lower horizontal surface has a great impact on the structural integrity of the frame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles