Who here brave it without rock sliders?

Kiriesh

Adventurer
I started my 4x4 endeavors wheeling so I'm pretty use to the safety of rock sliders. I use mine on my jeep fairly regularly. My tacoma on the other hand has never seen above rugged dirt roads and I doubt it'll see much worse. The toughest I ever aim for in the taco is moderate/light trails in moab and things like black bear and engineer in Colorado. So with more of an "overlanding" view, how many of you all don't bother with rock sliders? If there were a simple bolt-on solution I wouldn't hesitate but I get nervous when drilling and/or welding frames come into play.

tonkaman

Adventurer
The right question is whether your going to be upset the day you have to turn around because the trail got a little too rough. I do enough exploring in new areas that I would hate for a few big rocks to change my travel plans.

There are a few bolt on slider options available. In fact my 2016 has bolt on sliders

Kiriesh

Adventurer
I guess I just get nervous with "permanent" modifications. To my knowledge there are only a couple bolt on sliders and most dont recommend using as a slider unless you drill frame holes for additional support. Mob Town Offroad looks like the only one so far that claims they can handle the load from offroad usage while being 100% bolt-on. I'll never weld on sliders, I see them as disposable parts so I want the ability to remove them (without major cutting). I'm starting to thing no drilling is unavoidable.

irish_11

Explorer
Look for SOS Concepts sliders. They are 100% bolt on, no drilling. They seem to have good reviews over on Tacoma World. I just sold my 1st gen with All-Pro sliders, so I am in the process of looking at sliders for my 2nd gen.

himom

I personally don't run sliders on my GX470 but I do on my 4runner. I have heard the RCI is either in the process of making or has come out with bolt on sliders for multiple Toyota platforms. If the sliders are anything like the skid plates they make it should hold up quite well

Eazy.E

PNW Wanderer
I want to say the SLEE sliders are no drill bolt on as well.

I have taken my Tacoma through some fairly technical trails without sliders, if you know what your doing behind the wheel and pick your lines wisely in most cases you can manage which I'm sure you already know. Having said that I am still putting sliders on so when that "one time" happens I am not kicking myself. And you can't plan for that massive rock that kicks up unexpectedly and ruins your day!

A good majority of weld on sliders now days offer really straight forward precut and gesseted hard where that makes it easy to line up and easy to weld if you don't want to drill into the frame....not that welding is any different lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apollo

i'm two years in and many adventures through the sw U.S. with our 4runner TE, and thus far without sliders...however, i'm currently seriously considering something high and tight...we've had some difficult lines occasionally to avoid chancing contact at the rocker panels...nothing that has really limited us though, so i don't consider them necessary--but perhaps appreciated for the opportunities we might have with them in place

Upland80

Adventurer
I do and don't advise it!
DSC_3440_zps90ec675f.jpg

Adventurous

Explorer
I have a set of All Pro sliders on my Tacoma and they involved drilling 4 or 5 holes in the bottom of the frame per side. Honestly it wasn't that bad. It's a small price to pay for potentially not caving in my rocker panels.

MrWesson

Adventurer
I don't have them on my LR3 but live in Florida.

I recently went to a rock quarry for some fun and well.. I wish I had them.

I'll tell you first hand that the CRUNCH sound will send you into a slight panic.
Lytq7g8l.jpg

Your call but if I had anything "nice" meaning you'd care about scratching the paint(Both of your rigs qualify) i'd surely protect them if I lived in the mountains.

Watt maker

I run BudBuilt sliders on my 5th gen 4runner but none on my 4th gen, which is the one we primarily take offroad. I do need to get some before my luck runs out though. I will probably go with 4xInnovations or Stubbs.

tyv12

Adventurer
I've got bolt on sliders on my tundra and they are every bit as strong as a weld on and I can remove them to paint think about it the front and rear bumper are bolted on not welded and we pull with winches from them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz