The Road Chose Me: Driving a Jeep Wrangler 80,000 miles around Africa for 2 years

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi All,

Cameroon continues to amaze!

I played with Chimpanzees in the jungle for a while day, THE most intense animal experience of my life

Read More: http://theroadchoseme.com/marienburg-chimpanzees

Now I have moved further South to the beach, which is absolutely stunning!
jeep-africa-beachfront-property-720x480.jpg

More: http://theroadchoseme.com/around-kribi

It's going to be hard to leave Cameroon!!

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hey Everyone,

I am a little behind on editing video...
Here is what 5 days of slogging through West African mud in Ivory Coast looks like.

I would love to get feedback on these videos.
What do you want to see?
More or something?
Less of something?

let me know!

-Dan

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Love it!

Thank you for posting - brings back so many memories! What would not have given for lockers or even a limited slip, in back or front back in the day!

Great 'strine accent by the way. You're really got it down. Been practicing long? ;-)

DetroitDarin

Scratching a 10 year Itch
Hey Everyone,

What do you want to see?
More or something?
Less of something?

let me know!

-Dan

First off - I don't know you and vice-versa, but you're inspiring to me - a complete stranger. Godbless the internet and forums like this - really amazing to follow your adventures.

For the videos: I find myself skipping the intro scenes every time, and the credits. Not that I don't care, but I'd prefer the time being spent on content-watching.

I like the videos showing the extreme driving conditions and the people. I'd also like more info on the border crossings - I realize you may not get video of those things; and I hear horror stories sometimes on other blogs - i'd like to know more about when you had a tough time or easy time crossing into new nations.

One video - was a chief of police on a motorcycle who waved you over; you said you pretended not to understand his demands for, essentially, a bribe and he let you go. What would have happened or what would happen if you just kept driving in those situations?

What are your feelings on relative safety - I like how on one video you were a couple hundred meters from the highway and said your truck couldn't be seen from the road. That's a good thing I think - based on my limited knowledge of some of the places you're travelling through I might want a camo net and all that. But then, if hidden maybe local authorizes might think you're up to no good. So - that leads to my question; how to you decide on concealment to protect you from being a target of opportunity AND still trying to not-look-suspicious?

Thank you!

-Darin

grogie

Like to Camp
Hey Everyone,

I am a little behind on editing video...
Here is what 5 days of slogging through West African mud in Ivory Coast looks like.

What do you want to see?
More or something?
Less of something?

let me know!

-Dan

Okay, first off all, that mud was awesome and I'm sure was also hairraising! I've not expereinced the same MILES of that myself, but enough of it to know you're always hoping you just keep moving ahead. For a sponsorship, Jeep should give you an upcoming JL Rubicon!

Anyway, I'm rewriting my response to your questions as I thought I'd rather keep it short and to the point. I really enjoy your positive outlook to your videos and in sharing the fun side to your adventures. I like the opening and credits, as videos need an beginning and an ending. When you get back, I would like to hear more of the details from each of your videos and blog postings, as I'd like to hear more about the grit. I do appreciate your time, and you're doing what I just don't have the time and/or the tenacity to do myself.

Stay safe and keep filming, Dan. :)

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
First off - I don't know you and vice-versa, but you're inspiring to me - a complete stranger. Godbless the internet and forums like this - really amazing to follow your adventures.
Thanks for the kind words, and thanks so much for the detailed feedback below, I really appreciate it.
For the videos: I find myself skipping the intro scenes every time, and the credits. Not that I don't care, but I'd prefer the time being spent on content-watching.
Thanks, that's great feedback. When I make up a new intro I will make it much shorter.
Maybe each episode's intro should be a quick collection of shots from the actual video so they are never the same and don't get boring.... hmm..
I like the videos showing the extreme driving conditions and the people. I'd also like more info on the border crossings - I realize you may not get video of those things; and I hear horror stories sometimes on other blogs - i'd like to know more about when you had a tough time or easy time crossing into new nations.
Thanks. I am trying hard now to get more photos and videos of the local people, though it's extremely difficult. As soon as I pull out my camera my connection is lost, and people immediately demand money.
I am also blogging and many of my stories wind up there that never wind up on film.
I am hesitant to film a border crossing (Military HATE cameras), though I recently hid a camera in the Jeep and filmed a couple of bribery attempts., which worked.
It should be a good one when I edit it together.
One video - was a chief of police on a motorcycle who waved you over; you said you pretended not to understand his demands for, essentially, a bribe and he let you go. What would have happened or what would happen if you just kept driving in those situations?
Actually, I did drive right through two checkpoints in Guinea. I was sick of all the bribery, and just pretended not to see them (they were not exactly obvious, and everyone was just sitting in the shade..)
Both times a guy jumped on a motorbike and chased me down (even though I sped up, I can't ever go over about 60 mp/h with the potholes and speed bumps) He grabbed all my paperwork and demanded I come back... where the "big boss" yelled and got red in the face, demanding a bribe. Both times I just apologized a lot and played dumb, and after 20 minutes they let me go.
They honestly just get sick of repeating themselves and asking for money. As long as I keep a smile on my face and remain patient, it's fine.

What are your feelings on relative safety - I like how on one video you were a couple hundred meters from the highway and said your truck couldn't be seen from the road. That's a good thing I think - based on my limited knowledge of some of the places you're travelling through I might want a camo net and all that. But then, if hidden maybe local authorizes might think you're up to no good. So - that leads to my question; how to you decide on concealment to protect you from being a target of opportunity AND still trying to not-look-suspicious?
Oh, I feel very safe. The average person on the street here is much kinder and friendlier than anywhere else I have been on earth.
Many wild campsites lately locals "find me" and just wave hello and shake hands before continuing on their way.

Here is Cameroon there is a lot of unrest with the government, and a few times the military were extremely suspicious and forced me to come to the station and "register". It's best not to have or wear camo stuff in those circumstances. Once they really figure out I am just a tourist they are very friendly, often inviting me to camp in the military compound, inviting me for food, etc.

West Africa is not like the media would have you believe - you don't need to think about anything like a camo net. I have never heard of anyone having one.

Thanks again Darin, I will use you input to make my videos better!

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Okay, first off all, that mud was awesome and I'm sure was also hairraising! I've not expereince the same MILES of that myself, but enough of it to know you're always hoping you just keep moving ahead. For a sponsorship, Jeep should give you an upcoming JL Rubicon!

Anyway, I'm rewriting my response to your questions as I thought I'd rather keep it short and to the point. I really enjoy your positive outlook to your videos and in sharing the fun side to your adventures. I like the opening and credits, as videos need an beginning and an ending. When you get back, I would like to hear more of the details from each of your videos and blog postings, as I'd like to hear more about the grit. I do appreciate your time, and you're doing what I just don't have the time and/or the tenacity to do myself.

Stay safe and keep filming. :)

Thanks for the feedback!

You are right - the mud is fun for a while, though when it's 5 days back to back you start to just focus on getting through. A few of the big mud pits I would pull up behind 10 or so trucks and walk to the front, having absolutely no idea what I would find! Turning around was always on the back of my mind.
One pit that I didn't get on film was absolutely impossible with 5 trucks blocking the road literally jammed up against each other. That's where they had been for a week.
By pure luck a local jumped in and showed me a tiny track through his farm that went around it.

When you get back, I would like to hear more of the details from each of your videos and blog postings, as I'd like to hear more about the grit.

Can you expand on that a bit please?
What do you mean by "grit"?

It is still over a year before I "get back", and to be honest I don't plan on re-editing these videos or my photos/blog. I'm doing it as I go while the memories are still fresh, so I need to capture everything I can now.

Thanks again!

-Dan

DetroitDarin

Scratching a 10 year Itch
Thanks for the kind words, and thanks so much for the detailed feedback below, I really appreciate it.

Thanks, that's great feedback. When I make up a new intro I will make it much shorter.
Maybe each episode's intro should be a quick collection of shots from the actual video so they are never the same and don't get boring.... hmm..

Thanks. I am trying hard now to get more photos and videos of the local people, though it's extremely difficult. As soon as I pull out my camera my connection is lost, and people immediately demand money.
I am also blogging and many of my stories wind up there that never wind up on film.
I am hesitant to film a border crossing (Military HATE cameras), though I recently hid a camera in the Jeep and filmed a couple of bribery attempts., which worked.
It should be a good one when I edit it together.

Actually, I did drive right through two checkpoints in Guinea. I was sick of all the bribery, and just pretended not to see them (they were not exactly obvious, and everyone was just sitting in the shade..)
Both times a guy jumped on a motorbike and chased me down (even though I sped up, I can't ever go over about 60 mp/h with the potholes and speed bumps) He grabbed all my paperwork and demanded I come back... where the "big boss" yelled and got red in the face, demanding a bribe. Both times I just apologized a lot and played dumb, and after 20 minutes they let me go.
They honestly just get sick of repeating themselves and asking for money. As long as I keep a smile on my face and remain patient, it's fine.

Oh, I feel very safe. The average person on the street here is much kinder and friendlier than anywhere else I have been on earth.
Many wild campsites lately locals "find me" and just wave hello and shake hands before continuing on their way.

Here is Cameroon there is a lot of unrest with the government, and a few times the military were extremely suspicious and forced me to come to the station and "register". It's best not to have or wear camo stuff in those circumstances. Once they really figure out I am just a tourist they are very friendly, often inviting me to camp in the military compound, inviting me for food, etc.

West Africa is not like the media would have you believe - you don't need to think about anything like a camo net. I have never heard of anyone having one.

Thanks again Darin, I will use you input to make my videos better!

-Dan

Thank you Dan for the reply! Do you NEED anything? Nutella? Soap? Hand sanitizer? Baby wipes for rudimentary hygiene? Not that you'd have a post office....hrm...

For the vids - the folks that help you sure deserve mentioning - maybe roll the credits under the content like a news ticker? Just brainstorming. You're really doing a good job.

I understand about the border crossings and the camera stuff for sure. Most important thing is a safe get-through.

One other thing - I don't mean to be telling you something you may know, but if you run the f/stop numerically higher you can turn your sunsets from orange circles of light into pinpoint - starburst type suns...means longer shutter speed of course, but might be something to experiment with if you have a tripod or solid bench to rest the camera on. The photo ebodje-sunset-beach-jeep-1440x960.jpg is going to cost me money...because the more I look at it the more I start planning to get someplace like that, in a truck like that... :)

Last edited:

unkamonkey

Explorer
Some friends spent a few years In Africa back in the '60s. USAID. They never mentioned any problems with bribes and such. My neighbors were doing a day trip down the Baja and got stopped at a military checkpoint. Mike doesn't speak Spanish too well, he just pointed to his wife. She speaks Spanish better than any of them even if she is from Germany. They wanted to check out the cooler so bottles of water were handed out. On the return trip there was just a bunch of young guys sitting in the shade of their truck smiling and waving.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader

whitenoise

Adventurer
Hi Dan - Your posts and updates are something I look forward to eagerly nowadays! Thank you for documenting your adventure and especially for sharing local information. Sorry if this has been addressed somewhere else already, but I sure would like to know more about the equipment you've been using to film and photograph this trip.

Also a couple of random requests. I would like to get your general thoughts on vehicle capability and the need for modifications / lack thereof, now that you've seen a fair variety of road surfaces in W. Africa. I'm currently considering choice of vehicle for a trip like this a few years down the road. Family of 3 so thinking Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 or Nissan NV Quigley 4x4 van. Is diesel power a big cost advantage to have in that region? Can stock 4WD vehicles get by well and is low-range a must in some spots? How about choice of tires - Mud or All-terrain if you could go back in time and re-do? I have many other questions but don't want to bother you with all of them at this time :) .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles