The Road Chose Me: Driving a Jeep Wrangler 80,000 miles around Africa for 2 years

unkamonkey

Explorer
You seem to be a good BS artist. At least you are a friendly BS artist. The only place I got hit up was in Mexico. I threw the bill on the ground so they had to pick it up. Two can play the game.

unkamonkey

Explorer
It wasn't the police or army I was dealing with. They have never messed with me. It was 2 guys that thought they deserved a tip for selling over priced Cuban cigars to me.
Your attitude seems to be off a bit as well.
Don't assume about things you know nothing about.

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hey Everyone,

I am touring Angola and loving every second.

I spent some time in the capital of Luanda, visiting the War history museum and camping with a million dollar view on the waterfront for free!

More: http://theroadchoseme.com/luanda

I camped out at Piedras Negras (black Rocks) then visited the extremely impressive Kalandula Falls

More: http://theroadchoseme.com/piedras-negras
and
http://theroadchoseme.com/kalandula-falls

Now I'm out exploring around, with not particular goal in mind.
Evidence of the civil war is everywhere, including this Russian tank that dwarfed the Jeep.

More: http://theroadchoseme.com/amazing-angola-1

I really love Angola, and already think I will extend my visa.

-Dan

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Wonderful stuff, Dan. Never would have imagined Angola this way.

For the fender/gravel flap, can you attach the flap independent of the fender? Probably not easily done on the road, but something to consider at a "maintenance stop". I am installing heavy rubber flaps on the LJ-R, and they will have break-away mounts to avoid damaging or losing them.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Wonderful stuff, Dan. Never would have imagined Angola this way.

For the fender/gravel flap, can you attach the flap independent of the fender? Probably not easily done on the road, but something to consider at a "maintenance stop". I am installing heavy rubber flaps on the LJ-R, and they will have break-away mounts to avoid damaging or losing them.

That would be ideal, but these Jeep standard mud flaps are attached to the fender.

Lesson learned, I won't run anything like it again!

-Dan

Riviera

Dan, I continue to be amazed by this adventure of yours. I even get a little concerned when you don't post for a day or two, and head over to your blog to see if you've put an update on their. What a truly spectacular adventure. Get well soon, my friend.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Dan, I'm sorry to read of your problem, (Didn't really need to see your butt). I enjoy reading about what you are doing. But I know of several people that have been in Africa on photo safaris and such. One friend spent about a year there. He was properly immunized and otherwise his solution was to suck down Gin and Tonics to get the Quinine. The boy just doesn't get sick after his list of many places he has worked around the world. There must be some interesting antibodies in his gut.

furbucket

Observer
What's an adventure without malaria and acid flies?? Sucks- but what fun would it be if everything went perfect all the time! Glad you weren't by yourself, would've sucked way more alone I think...

Sent from an evil pocket calculator with a flashy screen

unkamonkey

Explorer
We went on a trip after Marks 2nd trip to Africa and my brother claimed that Marks farts rotted out the seat on his side. The lady I was with on that trip was a clinical pathologist and she wanted a poop sample to study. A few years ago he travelled with a bunch of people to
South America for a job and they went out to eat. Mark just ordered what he wanted and the rest just followed along. They all got sick but Mark was fine.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hey Everyone,

I have put the foot down and driven to South Africa to pickup The Big Freek, editor of JPFreek Adventure Magazine!

We'll roam the country for the next two weeks, finding what (mis)adventures we can!

All the updates will be on social media, be sure to follow on your platform of choice so you don't miss anything!

Instagram: @theroadchoseme

Facebook: The Road Chose Me

Twitter: @dangrec

-Dan

PS Rest assured I will loop around and fill in all the adventures I missed between where I left off and where I am now!

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hi Everyone,

After 3,088 miles - by far the most in any country so far - it's time to say goodbye to Angola.

I have deeply loved this country, and I'm certain I will be back some day. After 6 weeks I have only scratched the surface.

More: http://theroadchoseme.com/angola-ends

I'm looking forward to Namibia!

-Dan

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Well it's Christmas Day here in Australia and we are having a fine one. I would just like to say a "Merry Christmas" and a Good and Safe traveling New Year to Yourself.
It has been amazing following your travels and would be a journey I would certainly like to take.

Keep it safe, keep the shiny side up and keep the travel story coming.
Dan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles