Mad New 100 series Cruiser

Madbodhi

Observer
20160809_100730.jpg

20160809_100816.jpg

Not a perfect match but it will do. Plan is to mount my OBA compressor in the tailgate. Hatch for access, louvers on the inside to take in air and a 12v computer fan concealed below the license plate to exhaust,maybe even switch to a flip up plate holder like my 67 Newport convertible. Would like to mount a Puma 3/4 hp but its about an inch too wide and heavier than I really want to put in the tailgate. May just use a Viair. Don't expect super fast updates on this. Priority right now is dual battery system and maintenance items.

Last edited:

Madbodhi

Observer
It's a Jim Black 13×24 deck hatch in Carolina beige. I picked it up online at greatlakesskipper.com
They had a 13x30 that I really wanted but we're sold out and my Google-**** could not locate another in that color. Thus I bought this one now even though I'm not yet ready to tackle that project. They had some in a slightly darker beige that may even match better.

ulySSes

Observer
Quite a price difference between the two sizes. A couple folks on MUD have done it. but have used white latches. Looking forward to see how it works out for ya.

Madbodhi

Observer
20160808_094005.jpg
Diff breathers arrived.Yeah,I could have done it cheaper with some tubing,fittings and stock breathers but this is so pretty.
20160812_163613.jpg
Putting the old Wellsaw to work making a bracket
20160816_082409.jpg
All done

Last edited:

Madbodhi

Observer
20160819_130559.jpg
OPOR sliders arrived. A quick once over with a flapper wheel and some degreasing.
20160819_163038.jpg
Was going to break out the paint gun and shoot them with some PPG epoxy primer I have laying around for my John Deere 430 project but decided to just go with cheapie spray cans instead. Quick and easy future touch up. A few coats of krylon and a quick overspray of bedliner.

Last edited:

Madbodhi

Observer
Took a quick little day trip to explore some gravel roads though the Horicon Marsh. Largest freshwater cattail marsh in the U.S.. I drive through it every day on the way to work but never really gave it a second thought. Literally minutes from my door.
Not exactly challenging terrain
20160820_132225.jpg

20160820_132825.jpg20160820_133120.jpg

A very large tree almost completely hollowed out by carpenter ants and then struck by lightning in the storm we had last night. Could still smell the smoke.
Not exactly a 6 month expedition to the Dark Continent or Siberia but got the kids out of the house and off the tablets.They have both said they want Land Cruisers for their first vehicle. Ive shown them pics and the boy wants an FJ62 and my daughter is absolutely in love with the FJ55,especially after I told her about the Iron Pig nickname. Like her mother she has a soft spot for big ugly brutes :).

Last edited:

FinsUp

Adventurer
Great thread! I've got a 2002 I picked up with 120,00 on it. Planning the build out currently. I like yours a lot.

Madbodhi

Observer
Put in LED reverse lights. Removing the tail light housing threw me for a loop. Having to slide them out to the side is unlike anything ive ever worked on. I really need to get a manual for this thing. Put the OPOR sliders on. Had to slide the u-bolts in sideways then turn them to sneak past the brake lines and trim the oem plastic belly plate. Had an issue with one of the sliders. The driver side had a nice even space all the way across between the slider and the bottom of the rocker, the Passenger side went from a nice space on one side to very nearly touching the rocker on the other. Just had to loosen the u-bolts and tighten the bottom nuts first then the top to even it out. Looks good now.
20160821_105434.jpg

Thanks FinsUp. 120k on the clock is just a baby.

Last edited:

Madbodhi

Observer
20160826_105741.jpg

Added an Asus Zenpad 10 with a Rampod HD mount. Trying out Gaia for mapping. Also added a BAFX Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool to feed real time info to my tablet with the Torque app. Still learning Gaia but I'm a fan of the Torque app.

Last edited:

Madbodhi

Observer
Camping in the Nicolet N.F..Figured it would be super busy "up north", and it was on the main roads but once we hit the fs roads other vehicles were few and far between, though a cool old pink fj40 was spotted but I was too slow to get a pic.
20160903_191809.jpg
20160904_105533.jpg

Last edited:

Madbodhi

Observer
While there I figured id checkout "The Pipeline",pretty much the only offroad area in WI. A pipeline right-of-way that runs for miles through Nicolet NF. I had the Land Cruiser but wife was in a stock 4Runner and has zero offroad driving experience.We still did some crawling around.She was a bit nervous but was smiling ear to ear after.
20160904_134153.jpg20160904_132716.jpg20160904_131210.jpg

Last edited:

Madbodhi

Observer
Picked up some techie stuff. An organizer for micro sd cards and sd card adapter. So far I have all the Forest Service MVUM maps for WI on one micro card and the factory service manual, U.S. Army vehicle recovery manual and various rigging and knots manuals on another. Both cards are at maybe 10% full so still have lots of room. Any suggestions? I'm thinking some edible plant I.d. , survival, mountaneering, and first aid.
20160907_172530.jpg

Last edited:

EDR

Observer
That's a great looking 100! What size are those STT Pros you have on there? I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of those in 295/70-18. How do you like them so far on/off road?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke