First Trailer Build - Design Phase

JCDriller

Adventurer
I've begun thinking of how I would like to build my soft road trailer. I'm hoping to keep the foot print small while still providing a comfortable size. To accomplish this I have built my trailer around a pop up and a slide out.

The trailer requirements are:
Towable behind JKU
Full size bed (memory foam will be in 2 pieces)
2000w Gen. (Mostly for AC)
AC/propane heater (AC window unit will be in compartment under front bench seat, slide out when parked, stow while on the move for protection)
propane stove
Plenty of water (40g planned in tank over axle)
Indoor hot/cold sink
outdoor shower
Full standing room in kitchen and around table
Table must convert into small bed for children
200w Solar
dual group 31 batteries
matching 35" tires and wheels
rear will have a swing out tire carrier with spare (still thinking...)

So far the trailers foot print without the tongue is 5x10, with a 48" rear slide out and 30" pop up panel. The pop up will likely be supported via scissor hinge and struts while its sides will be cloth/isinglass for light. There will be trailer jacks all around for stability and at this time I'm trying to keep all mechanisms manual. The mechanism for the slide out is simple tubing and roller bearings, I found the idea here: https://www.lemonheadpress.com/bus-conversions/building-slide-tiny-home-school-bus-conversion/ . My materials would be 2x4 steel for the frame with steel skin; 4x4, 3x3 steel for the slide out mechanism and 1x1" steel structure above with 1/2" ply on the outside, 1" insulation and 1/8 or 1/4" on the inside. Outside would be skinned with something either aluminum or FRP.

My biggest concern at this time is weight. I'll try to put pin to paper this week sometime if I can. I honestly have no idea where it'll come in right now, likely too heavy... I may have to switch to a wood instead of steel for the wall's framing.

I'm open to all input, ideas and criticisms.

Rear slide out, bed and floor folded. Floor is 2 25" panels with a piano hinge. Stored to the rear of the floor is the 2 piece memory foam Full size mattress.

floor down:

Mattress down:

Closed view showing size vs. Jeep JKU:

View of slide out pushed in, all roofing removed. The kitchen sink/counter is offset from the wall to allow the pop out room to slide in. The floor is folded up.
Extended side view showing size vs. Jeep JKU:

Slide out mechanism closed, I'm also using 4 additional metal support that will help support the slide out when stowed:

Slide out mechanism open:

Skeleton closed up:

Skeleton open:

Rear closed up:

Rear Open:

JCDriller

Adventurer
Great looking plans. Do you have something in mind for the pop-up roof mechanism?

I'm currently thinking about using a few scissor hinges to provide lateral support and gas struts to keep it up. I could use 4 electric rams, but I kind of just want to keep it manual and simple.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
First thing you should probably do is patent your sliding/folding floor idea before someone in the RV industry spots it and rips it right off.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
I've always thought that moving air for thousands of miles was wasteful. And then last week, I stumbled across a pic of a prototype by FUSO conversion where the entire camper section would move to allow access and gain volume. This is a very similar idea.

Keeping the mechanicals functional while traveling will be an issue. And you can either design it to be sealed, or very tolerant of contamination and easy to clean. Tubes around tubes are great for collecting dirt and not letting it go while being difficult to clean. Slideouts on RVs always have the bottoms protected during travel. Have you considered putting the tube-in-tube slides inside the volume of the trailer? Also, with all your bulky attachments in the same line, you're going to have issues with racking of the boxes. You'll want something at the top corners to allow positive alignment.

Another idea: Do you think you could hinge that tail box and build/fold-out the platform once stationary?

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
I think its a very cool idea, but I am with you on the weight. My trailer is going to be around 1700-2k, and its very similar other than the slide out and pop up. I would say you are going to be around 2500+ given everything you have going on.

If i had my trailer to do all over I probably would have just gone with a RTT instead of spending hundreds of hours building it. I am to the point I just want to enjoy it. I see your project as a loooong project.

Just my .02.

JCDriller

Adventurer
I think its a very cool idea, but I am with you on the weight. My trailer is going to be around 1700-2k, and its very similar other than the slide out and pop up. I would say you are going to be around 2500+ given everything you have going on.

If i had my trailer to do all over I probably would have just gone with a RTT instead of spending hundreds of hours building it. I am to the point I just want to enjoy it. I see your project as a loooong project.

Just my .02.

You're absolutely correct that this would take me a while and I too want to enjoy it. I already have a RTT and a smaller trailer isn't ruled out. I'm just a big dreamer and am hard to please.

I really am thinking about doing an aluminum super structure and steel rolling frame. I've already got some really good feedback off here and TNTT.com. I'm going to make some changes, I've got a few cool ideas. Like hard sides of the pop up, found here: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=43744. and I'm going to try and move the push out mechanisms inside the trailer so they stay cleaner.

JCDriller

Adventurer
Started making a few changes to the design based upon feedback, it's a work in progress, but already improving.

changes:
1. I made the trailer octagonal, this will allow me to move the slide-out mechanism inside where it will be protected from the elements. this will provide tons of storage behind the slide out, such a closest that appear when the slide out is out. It can also used to house external storage such as the shower. I may reduce its overall diameter though.
2. I reduced the size of the slide out mechanism to 2x2" .25 tubing with a 3x3 .25 outer shell that will hold the bearings.
3. I will be adding trailer jacks to the slide out to support it while extended.
4. I changed the slide out to a simple square design, kept the angled rear bottom, but decided I should separate the slide out just incase it ever drags on something. I don't want to torque the slide out.
5. I'm leaning more and more towards a steel/wood or steel/aluminum hybrid skeleton to keep the weight down.
6. I'll be doing a hard sided pop up, no more cloth and isinglass, although I haven't had time to model that.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Great design, but I think you're building way too heavy, 2x4 steel, 2x3 is plenty, skeleton could be 1x2 or 1.5 x 2.5, slides 2x2. Strength isn't just the size but the design, lighter is always better. :)

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Interesting!

I'm in the process of building a similar trailer, but without the rear slide. My will have a fold over hinged roof, rather than raise straight up, and have a tent top with tent bows for a top cover. The fold over roof will hinge at the front and create the bed floor. This will give me standing room inside. Kitchen in the rear teardrop style.

I applaud your innovation. You must be sporting a V8 in your JK!
Weight will be a tough nemesis to overcome. But doable with lightweight materials.

Color me Subscribed to your build.

Now where's the Popcorn Imecon?
:lurk:

JCDriller

Adventurer
Interesting!

I'm in the process of building a similar trailer, but without the rear slide. My will have a fold over hinged roof, rather than raise straight up, and have a tent top with tent bows for a top cover. The fold over roof will hinge at the front and create the bed floor. This will give me standing room inside. Kitchen in the rear teardrop style.

I applaud your innovation. You must be sporting a V8 in your JK!
Weight will be a tough nemesis to overcome. But doable with lightweight materials.

Color me Subscribed to your build.

Now where's the Popcorn Imecon?
:lurk:

I'd love to see your design, sounds cool.

I got few minutes today to finish the hard sided pop top layout. I'm pretty happy with this design, I'll go ahead and figure the estimated weight soon.

Finished the pop top design, as stated inspired by asorensen. 2 100w solar panels are sitting on the roof.

JCDriller

Adventurer
Frame weight is 1274 using the following materials, this doesn't include axles or tongue box, interior build, etc. Only what is pictured below.

2x4 .1875 and 2x2 .1875 for the frame
2x2 .25 and 3x3 .25 for the slider mechanisms
1x1 .1875 for the skeleton

Tomorrow I'll run numbers for smaller steel in frame, thinner steels and using aluminum for the 1x1 skeleton.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94