The building of a biwak box upon an offroad trailer

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
I realize you haven't had much time in good weather to really play with this but is there anything you would have done differently?
For example, the bottom has a number of contours to clear the wheel wells, etc. Was that worthwhile?
Or the Waeco seem to encroach on the bed. Would you like it moved?

Thanks.

Heifer Boy

Adventurer
Thank Albatross. That looks like a very solid mount.

From the previous photos it looked like the wheel was strapped in rather than the box being strapped to the wheel. :)

HB

Albatross

I realize you haven't had much time in good weather to really play with this but is there anything you would have done differently? a longer tongue, to put 2 bicycles on
For example, the bottom has a number of contours to clear the wheel wells, etc. Was that worthwhile? It was the price for the fast and easy flexibility (normal Trailer - Trailer with sleeping box)
Or the Waeco seem to encroach on the bed. Would you like it moved? it does not disturb (the feets just a little bit tighter), and it is easy to put things in and out in the fridge from the inside as well as from outside. And below the Waeco I have a drawer for the eating irons etc.

Thanks.
comments inside

kzam

Observer
Incredible craftsmanship!

I love seeing your thought process behind the design and how it became a reality.

How long did it take you to build this once you had your materials?

Albatross

Incredible craftsmanship!

I love seeing your thought process behind the design and how it became a reality.

How long did it take you to build this once you had your materials?
I needed 14 months, but not the weekends in summer. And I had no exact plan in the beginning, only the idea and pencil drawings how to do it. And then I made som misstakes and had to order additional material (and wait for it to come), and then waiting for warm weather before painting.
With a good plan and a very tolerant wife you would need the weekends and the evenings of approx. 6-12 weeks. Sometimes 2-4 helping hands of friends.... investing some bottles of beer

Last edited:

b63215b

Adventurer
Love the build, I have many design similar to this just can't seem to find the best panel and aluminum edging here is the US close to me. I know you said refrigerator truck companies use it but can anyone name any large name manufacturers in the US that carry stuff like this? Thanks for any help, inspired by your build.

Albatross

even if I only have a frigde, my battery was empty after 3 days in the forest. For this reason a small upgrade was necessary: change of battery from 45Ah to 60 Ah und solar module from 40W to 100W
32432231zi.jpg

32449646tw.jpg

the result of my first test: after 8 days fridge on with beer inside the battery ist still OK.... and the beer is cold
32548469sn.jpg

Reactions: plh

XPLRMOR

Love the build, I have many design similar to this just can't seem to find the best panel and aluminum edging here is the US close to me. I know you said refrigerator truck companies use it but can anyone name any large name manufacturers in the US that carry stuff like this? Thanks for any help, inspired by your build.

I just googled insulated FRP panels and got quite a few results. Hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles