Jeep WK CRD Overland Nomad Expedition Build: Lolita

btburn

Observer
Looks great, I've got an 07 CRD with almost 90k on it that I'm slowly putting together how I want it. So far I've got the OME HD lift, a couple of lights and the GDE Eco Tune.
I plan on the DPF delete in the future after my next inspection. I want to build a hidden winch mount and rock rails/steps as well soon.

Kosmo

Adventurer
Hi:

Best of luck, feel free to contact me with questions or thoughts. If you have the GDE Eco tune, does that mean tour DPF regen cycles are already disengsged, or is that an option you can choose? I can not remember how jt goes, but I know mine had DPF delete and GDE tune when I bought it.

I would be comcerned if your Jeep still has DOF, but regen cycles have been turned off. Not saying that is the case, but you might want to check into it.

Sounds like you have your own fabrication equipment. That will come in handy. I just bought a Saguaro front bumper, and am looking to get it copied in aluminum. Payload is not your friend with the WK build. Everything you out on the WK to improve performance and ability actually decreases usable payload, unless it is lighter than stock. :) Wham or Wam bumpers in the US, Georgia I think, has started making WK bumpers. For hidden winch, check out Omelet's designs and drawings of Jeepforum. Hidden winch is a good way to go, but I am also comcerned about front end impacts. The CRD has an intercooler, ps cooler, trans cooler and radiator all within the first foot of the nose. Thats a lot of potential damage from a bird, deer, parking lot strike. I am preparing to out s snorkel on mine, will let you know how it goes. Let me know when you start getting red lightning bolts. I may be able to help. There is another guy on here, SSF556, with one too. He has built a nice rig.

What do you think of the OME HD and its sffect on fromt end taking bumps?

btburn

Observer
Hi:

Best of luck, feel free to contact me with questions or thoughts. If you have the GDE Eco tune, does that mean tour DPF regen cycles are already disengsged, or is that an option you can choose? I can not remember how jt goes, but I know mine had DPF delete and GDE tune when I bought it.

I would be comcerned if your Jeep still has DOF, but regen cycles have been turned off. Not saying that is the case, but you might want to check into it.

Sounds like you have your own fabrication equipment. That will come in handy. I just bought a Saguaro front bumper, and am looking to get it copied in aluminum. Payload is not your friend with the WK build. Everything you out on the WK to improve performance and ability actually decreases usable payload, unless it is lighter than stock. :) Wham or Wam bumpers in the US, Georgia I think, has started making WK bumpers. For hidden winch, check out Omelet's designs and drawings of Jeepforum. Hidden winch is a good way to go, but I am also comcerned about front end impacts. The CRD has an intercooler, ps cooler, trans cooler and radiator all within the first foot of the nose. Thats a lot of potential damage from a bird, deer, parking lot strike. I am preparing to out s snorkel on mine, will let you know how it goes. Let me know when you start getting red lightning bolts. I may be able to help. There is another guy on here, SSF556, with one too. He has built a nice rig.

What do you think of the OME HD and its sffect on fromt end taking bumps?

It still has DPF Regens but they are less frequent if I remember correctly. The tune disables the swirl motor, the EGR and tunes everything else. Right now with 265/70/17's I average roughly 22mpg mixed driving and 26mpg+ if I keep it on cruise control around 65-70mph. The biggest benefit I think is that the engines RPM's are at a reasonable rate at highway speeds. Before the larger tires and tune I still was getting about 19mpg mixed but the RPM's were a bit higher at highway speeds. I wrote down the speeds and relative RPM's somewhere but I'm not sure where my note went.
The Turbo lag isn't as noticeable with the tune as well.

I'm waiting to do the DPF delete since it is still functioning fine. I want to do it to have more oil choices mainly.

I got a euro spec DPF delete pipe from a place called UK Chrysler Spares I think they call it downpipe #2 since they didn't have the DPF over there. Once it's installed it will look stock at least.

I love the ride with the OME HD kit. My stock suspension felt like I was riding a fat girl on roller skates around, lot's of body roll and too soft for my liking. the front is slightly higher than the rear so I may add another spring isolator in the rear to bring it up a little, Or I could justify a winch to lower the front with the additional weight.

I've had a couple of Grand Cherokees,a 2001 Cherokee, a 2008 Wrangler, a 1981 FJ40 and a 1979 Scout II. This is probably my favorite so far for ability and creature comforts but I sure miss my FJ40 and my Scout II for the simplicity of working on them.

Kosmo

Adventurer
260 AH Solar powered battery system added.

Added two Crown 260 AH six volt batteries to the trailer wired in series. Using a Bogart Engineering SC 2030 Solar charger, and Trimetric battery monitor.

Added two 100 watt Renogy panels to the roof to power the system. No inverter to speak of yet. Have a small 750 watt modified sine inverter in the Jeep aux system, that I may move the RV as a short term test. Eventually will probably go with a Magnum MM1212.

SC 2030: http://www.bogartengineering.com/products/solar-charger/
TM 2030: http://www.bogartengineering.com/products/trimetrics/

Very few photos installing as it was a marathon four day endeavour to get the system sorted out, pull open all the walls, cupboards etc, and additionally do storage and shelving upgrades at the same time to allow wire routing, and take advantage of the panels being off at the same time.

Here you can see the two Crown batteries in a beta test wired up in front of the electric panel.
IMG_6129.jpg

The now occupy that empty space of white light at the back of the photo.

Currently off on a 3-4 week trip of Northern shore Quebec region to see how it all works out.

While the batteries and electronics were expensive, not buying all my terminal ends in advance for a good price probably put a pretty big dent in the budget overall. Red D Arc supplied AWG 4 welding cable for mains supply from DC power board to RV mains. AT 1.29 CAD per foot, it was a bargain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94