DECKED Truck Bed Storage System Test and Review

DECKED

Supporting Sponsor
Nice system.. You really gotta post the "how to" on modifying one of these for the Gen 1 Tundras.... ;)

It can probably be done, but it's a bit of a science project so we can't really endorse it...it'll probably be more doable with the midsize system we're developing, but still not ideal. Besides - with the Taco folks appeased, who's going to inundate us with frustrated requests?;):)

It can probably be done, but it's a bit of a science project so we can't really endorse it...it'll probably be more doable with the midsize system we're developing, but still not ideal. Besides - with the Taco folks appeased, who's going to inundate us with frustrated requests?;):)
Look forward to seeing how that all shakes out.

patoz

Expedition Leader
13450128_1120709667952332_4033471843573800917_n.jpg

I haven't forgotten you guys, but it's either been 95° - 100° with 70% humidity, giving us a Heat Index of 123°, or raining which it does almost every afternoon! Therefore, not much outside activity going on right now. As soon as it cools off some, I'll get some more updates posted.

rlrenz

Explorer
That photo would be a bit frightening if they had used a gurney instead of a lounge....

I agree with you, Pat. My days of cheerfully tolerating working in the rain are long gone - and if it's too hot, it's too hot, and likewise if it's too cold.

We have a different problem here in MN - as we say (long about February), "It's too cold to work today - lets go ice fishing instead..." And that's also why the snowmobile trails all seem to pass close to small town pubs as well - refuge from the weather (or something).

why3zx

Observer
Really looking hard at this system, not so much for its intended storage usage, but for the flat sleeping area. And most of all using the drawers to house water and propame storage as well as a pull out kitchen and sink. Think stove, cutting board, kitchen supplies in the front of one drawer with propane storage in the reward portion. and water storage, pump, and sink/grey water storage in the other drawer.

We use our 05 Dodge CTD with Leer shell for most of our adventure camping that requires off road ability or is less than about 4 days. Having this kind of setup would seriously decrease the amount of gear that needed to be packed and would speed up setup time quite a bit.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Good morning why3zx,

I have come up with a lot of potential uses for the drawer system other than it's original indented use, but using them as a pull out kitchen wasn't one of them. I think you are on to something here, and I'll certainly add that to my list.

Each drawer is rated to hold 200 lbs., so considering the size of the tanks you could fit in there you should be fine as far as a weight limit goes. A 5'5" bed length systems will accommodate 2 D-Boxes per drawer and a 6'6" will accommodate 3 D-Boxes per drawer. I have both of mine loaded up with tools, and off-road recovery gear, along with other heavy items, and they still roll in and out easily without sagging.

The angled sides of the drawers will cause you to loose some space if you use square or rectangular water tanks. However, if you want to maximize the use of that space, you may be able to use a couple of the D-Boxes as tanks. The D-Box is 20.5" x 17.5" x 8", 1821 cubic inches, with a weight limit of 50 lbs. This means it will hold 7.88 gals. of water weighing 65.72 lbs., which is almost 16 lbs. over the 50 lb. weight limit, but I think you would be fine as long as the box was sitting in the drawer, as these are not flimsy boxes by any means. I'm pretty sure the 50 lb. weight limit refers to lifting the box with the handles. Each D-Box comes with two removable dividers, which could be left in place to act as baffles to help prevent sloshing while driving.

The DECKED storage system is made out of High-density polyethylene (HDPE), which is commonly a recycled product. The D-Boxes look to be made out of something different, possibly ABS plastic, but I don't find that information stated in the specifications. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem drinking water carried in the boxes, especially in an emergency, but I usually carry bottled water for that purpose. In the interest of liability I'll just leave it at that, and you can do your own research if you wish to go that route. Also, I would not recommend using these boxes for long term storage of water, since the irregular shapes inside would make effective cleaning somewhat more difficult.

Another option may be to use an approved bladder of some sort in the box. The box does have an EPDM Gasket around the edge of the lid to make it water tight. The manual instructs you to leave a small gap between the two ends of the gasket material when installing to function as a vacuum breaker when the lid is closed. Since you would probably be installing an air vent anyway, along with the other plumbing, I would close this gap up to prevent any leakage into the drawer itself.

13.jpg

The drawers have a small lip down the top of each side facing inward. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks to me like these could be used to hold a sliding 'table top' in place of the optional tray, as long as the sides of the drawer didn't bulge out. Each drawer comes with a cross brace bar, but that would just get in the way. From what I understand, the tray is no longer being offered just for this reason, and Decked is looking for other alternatives.

00.jpg

Another option IMO, would be to build your 'table' out of heavy gauge sheet aluminum with a right angled lip on each side forming a 'U' shaped profile. Then just sit it over the entire drawer. There is clearance down each side for it to slide with no problem.

Good luck with your project if you decide to go that route, and please post a link to your build on here if you do, so we can follow your ideas and progress!

Last edited:

why3zx

Observer
Very cool, thanks for the time and ideas! I have been researching bladders and also the possibility of some kind of custom poly tank for potable water storage. Currently working on a system to raise and lower the camper shell as sort of a "pop top" using heavy duty linear actuators, really need to take a look at one of these decked drawer systems to see if the deck can be modified to allow the actuators to pass through at each corner.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Very cool, thanks for the time and ideas! I have been researching bladders and also the possibility of some kind of custom poly tank for potable water storage. Currently working on a system to raise and lower the camper shell as sort of a "pop top" using heavy duty linear actuators, really need to take a look at one of these decked drawer systems to see if the deck can be modified to allow the actuators to pass through at each corner.

No problem, my head is full of ideas...it's just bringing them into the world that I have a problem with.

Do you mean a lift system like this... It is the A.R.E. TopperEZLift, and I have been looking at this myself.

ARE_9182123.jpg

The only problem I see using it with the DECKED System is where and how the electric struts mount. It looks like you have some fore and aft leeway for mounting them (see below), and I do have a little space between the DECKED Ammo Cans (corner supports) and the wheel wells, but I'm not sure it would be enough. Also, the deck of the drawer system would have to be notched around the struts. However, it would allow access to items in the front of the bed without having to crawl in there.

ARE_4474372.jpg

why3zx

Observer
I do mean a system very close to theirs, however I do not like how the ARE system protrudes into the bed area as far as it does, I want the actuators to mount through the bed rails and be tucked up as close to the interior bed sides as possible. I think looking at the Decked system that there shouldn't be an issue notching the very outside of the deck floor to accommodate. As well as having the decked system itself to hide the relays and wiring, and keep it out of harms way. I also want to have custom canvas side panels made that will have a storage area inside the bed, and zippers at all four corners to allow them to be rolled and stowed when the camper is in the down position, without having to remove them from the truck. ARE's bed tent system looks like a great system, but doesn't seem to offer much in the way of shortening the camp setup process.

patoz

Expedition Leader
It sounds like you have a pretty nice system in mind, and I can see why the A.R.E. system would get in the way. I don't really like how it mounts either.

I'm building a camper trailer, so I won't be camping in the back of mine, but being able to raise the shell to gain a access to the front half of the bed would be a great benefit.

DECKED

Supporting Sponsor
View attachment 352550

I haven't forgotten you guys, but it's either been 95° - 100° with 70% humidity, giving us a Heat Index of 123°, or raining which it does almost every afternoon! Therefore, not much outside activity going on right now. As soon as it cools off some, I'll get some more updates posted.

Haha, I was in Flordia in May and was already feeling that way! Can't imagine how actual summer feels...

DECKED

Supporting Sponsor
I do mean a system very close to theirs, however I do not like how the ARE system protrudes into the bed area as far as it does, I want the actuators to mount through the bed rails and be tucked up as close to the interior bed sides as possible. I think looking at the Decked system that there shouldn't be an issue notching the very outside of the deck floor to accommodate. As well as having the decked system itself to hide the relays and wiring, and keep it out of harms way. I also want to have custom canvas side panels made that will have a storage area inside the bed, and zippers at all four corners to allow them to be rolled and stowed when the camper is in the down position, without having to remove them from the truck. ARE's bed tent system looks like a great system, but doesn't seem to offer much in the way of shortening the camp setup process.

Our system won’t work with the ARE topper lift because similar to what you said, the actual lift mechanisms protrude into the bed where the four corner supports want to sit. Something like what you’re proposing could possibly work, but we can’t really recommend putting a notch in the system (we can’t warranty systems that have been modified). That said, if the notch isn’t too big - meaning it doesn’t cut into the material above the drawers, at all - it shouldn't compromise the system’s structural integrity or ability to keep water out (the second being mostly negligible with a topper).

patoz

Expedition Leader
Haha, I was in Flordia in May and was already feeling that way! Can't imagine how actual summer feels...

Right now it's drizzling rain, 85° with 94% humidity, with 50% to 80% chance of rain in the forecast for the next 10 days. It may be more days than that, but that's as far as the WU forecast goes.

mistwetter.gif

DECKED

Supporting Sponsor
Right now it's drizzling rain, 85° with 94% humidity, with 50% to 80% chance of rain in the forecast for the next 10 days. It may be more days than that, but that's as far as the WU forecast goes.

mistwetter.gif

So time to catch up on Game of Thrones?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles