The Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail

TantoTrailers

Hate to dig up an old thread but this was a good read! Nice pictures too! I am doing the lower half of this route this weekend and I am glad I came across your post cause I will check out the stateline route and maybe that bridge along the way!

bigskypylot

Explorer
Hate to dig up an old thread but this was a good read! Nice pictures too! I am doing the lower half of this route this weekend and I am glad I came across your post cause I will check out the stateline route and maybe that bridge along the way!
Where are you starting the lower half at? Hazel Green or up north near Sparta?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TantoTrailers

I am staying in Apple River Canyon Friday before starting the actual route on Saturday morning. I booked a site at Black River Falls Saturday night blindly (I assume I can make it there in 1 day). I don't know when I will get to BRF but if I get there early I may go farther north up the route a while to see what else is there before heading back to camp. I was going to try boondocking but my prepper-self got in the way and booked the safe site anyway ?‍♂️

bigskypylot

Explorer
Actually. If you get to BRF, see about staying in Millston (not far from trail) there's a nice little motel there called the Homestead Inn. The owners are great. The husband is a retired Colonel and his wife, Mary is really nice. Last time I went through, it was $39.99 out the door. They have a nice little continental breakfast too. The motel is right behind TK's 400 Club which is a great place to grab dinner also.

The place I would recommend which is right off the trail is Evergreens Supper Club. It's off Apollo Rd. back in a wooded area. They are only open on Fri/Sat and it's a family run place. Great fish fry on friday and prime rib on saturday. Good old fashioneds, salad bar and after dinner ice cream drinks. They only take cash or check and they have a atm there. Cell service isn't good there either. They are really good people.

Before you head out on the trail from.Hazel Green, head up to Cuba City and Gile Cheese and get some Landjagers or Webers beef sticks. Also, Webers right down the street has a great selection of beef sticks, summer sausage and brats etc etc. They only take cash or check as well. Gile takes credit. Kwik Trip has Ellsworth Chese curds for $1.99 a bag in Cuba City (as do all the other KwikTrips)
You will like Good-Nuf Hollow Road and Dugway Rd section as you head up to Cassville.

All my family is from the Cuba City, Hazel Green, Dickeyville, Platteville and Cassville area originally and still have family back there. You'll love the BRF area. Might even get lucky and spot an Elk lol

Last edited:

TantoTrailers

Thank you for the recommendations!! This is awesome and just adding to my excitement for this mini-adventure! I am pulling a small home-built camper/trailer so I may have to check out the Homestead Inn another time but thank you for the tip. I have been up to Black River Falls once and I loved it, I'm a northern Wisco/UP junkie so I am very familiar with the landscape and forests, cant wait!

bigskypylot

Explorer
Good-Nuf Hollow Road and Dugway Rd south of PDC (Prairie duChien)
24422c0da7ef28896f20a3b8df7687ee.jpg
c90134425144fc378890153b563599a2.jpg
e2bea92268dbefee38fb057abb8c4209.jpg

TantoTrailers

Any idea how this route tends to be after some rain? We have been getting some downpours, looks like Saturday may be a bit wet up towards BRF

bigskypylot

Explorer
Are you on Instagram?
Ask Chad Berger(he created the trail)

When I last did it, the trail was washed out in places but that was a few years ago when I did the entire trail from North to South. Those sections were up by Clam Lake and the rains were torrential

Chad should be able to help you out. Also, if you do FB, just messages the TWAT page

TantoTrailers

Well I got out and did it! The lower half at least up to BRF. It took way longer than I thought it would but I took it easy on the non-paved sections and took too many vids and pics! I posted up the writeup in my rig thread if anyone is interested. I highly recommend this to anyone with wheels and I will hopefully do the whole thing in the fall to see the colors.

kfsinc

Thanks for the original post and for bringing this back to the top! I'm new here and the TWaT is on my short list. I live near the IL/WI boarder -- about 2 hours to the Iowa/IL boarder. Pretty sure I'll run this in the Land Rover the first time, then come back on the Dual Sport for a second trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94