Schnelby Hill Road - Sedona, AZ

Whito123

Last weekend we enjoyed Saturday afternoon at the Overland Expo. On Sunday, we Googled for an easy 4x4 scenic road to have some fun, and we found Schnelby Hill Road. It has a cool history if you search for it online.

We entered the road from I-17 and drove West (and down...) after a great breakfast at the Toasted Owl in Flagstaff.

The write-ups we read online suggested that although the road was a bit rugged, many people choose to take it on in 2WD passenger vehicles. While I'm no crawler (the toughest test I've faced is Potato Ridge Rd in Red Rock outside of Las Vegas), this online advice couldn't be worse. Our stock 2016 JKURHR handled everything just fine, but this - IMO - is no place for a car! With my wife and two teenage daughters, I'm certainly not taking any risks, and I used 4-Lo with Hill Descent Control on and the sway bar disconnected for much of the descent. Once you are west of the vista overlook, you will encounter a lot of Pink Jeep type tours going faster than most everyone else. Also there are lots of Razr type buggies that can boogie over the rocks.

There were a few cool waterfall type descents (we went East to West), and a few bedrock steps that seemed to have been 10 inches per step. Another unusual obstacle appeared every so often: at some point in the recent past a fiber optic line has been run the length of the road, and where it needed to run through stretches of solid bedrock, it appears that the crew used a big concrete saw to cut a trench through the rock. This installation results in a foot-wide trench through the surface bedrock that in places is no longer filled in completely. In some places it appeared to be 8" deep or more. I can imagine all sorts of skinny tires getting stuck in these ruts... Of course I didn't stop to take pictures of this - wish I had now.

Any ways, the road is fun, thrilling, a bit nerve-wracking for the first time through, and the scenery is incredible.

This is a must drive if you can make it.

IMG_8669.jpg

IMG_8683.jpg

IMG_8705.jpg

IMG_8715.jpg

Lots of people driving much faster than us...
IMG_8720.jpg

IMG_8725.jpg

IMG_8731.jpg

I saw this rig outside Kingman on the way home - loved the trailer!
IMG_8732.jpg

We will definitely be going back to Flagstaff and Sedona to explore more. What a beautiful place!

hairy_apple

Adventurer
Awwwww... damn. This bums me out. We had planned to run that on the way to Expo, but I broke a Ujoint in Sedona on the day we were going to go up there and ended up spending the whole day trying to get it fixed. Bummer, it looks like we missed a beautiful trail.

el_topu

Adventurer
I did that trail last year on my 2wd Tacoma Prerunner going up hill (west to east) no tire spin, I lower my tire pressure to 20 PSI on BF AT KO2 tires and truck did great. Beautiful scenery and lots of hiking trail heads along the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dartman

Whito123, looks like we just missed you. We came up from Sedona on Friday night after mountain biking in town, camped up top, went back down to Sedona and then hit the Expo on Sunday. I have always wanted to go to Schnebly Hill and it didn't disappoint. We did the last rocky spur to the campsite in the dark and camped on the ridge. I was treated at 5 am to an amazing moonset followed immediately by an amazing sunrise. One of the best hours of my life, just sitting alone on the ridge while the rest of my group was sleeping. The wind was really blowing that night but we came out unscathed.

The main road up the hill
20160521_050837.jpg

The rocky spur to the campsite
20160521_051143.jpg

Camp
20160521_051400.jpg

Moonset
20160521_050501.jpg

Heading out
20160521_120118.jpg

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
The write-ups we read online suggested that although the road was a bit rugged, many people choose to take it on in 2WD passenger vehicles. While I'm no crawler (the toughest test I've faced is Potato Ridge Rd in Red Rock outside of Las Vegas), this online advice couldn't be worse. Our stock 2016 JKURHR handled everything just fine, but this - IMO - is no place for a car!

No place for a car, but the perfect place for a dustbuster van! I took this van down it filled with some Chinese tourists that were clothing designers a few years back, since they wouldn't all fit in the Landcruiser (long story). It did great.
BikerrallyandSedonawithZHAO062.jpg

digitaldelay

Explorer
I can't see your pic, but I always called the Lumina APV a dustbuster, so that's what I will imagine ;)

Jason

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Oldsmobile Silhouette! It's totally different!! :snorkel: :ylsmoke:
I can't see your pic, but I always called the Lumina APV a dustbuster, so that's what I will imagine ;)

Jason

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94