Ever thought of canibalizing a Westy for a modern SUV?

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
hoser said:
That is a one off. The truck was later purchased by TJM as a promo vehicle. I am also interested in duplicating such a camper top. I have a approached a couple of fabrication shops but haven't found anybody yet. After renting a 78 series Land Cruiser Troopie Camper with Pop Top, I've been dreaming of owning one or something like it.

http://www.google.com/translate?u=http://www.ronaldbrunner.ch/projekte/hdj100.htm&langpair=de|en&hl=en&ie=UTF8

thats a beaute!
PHEW!

off to search for old beat westy's and measure some of them!

locrwln

Expedition Leader
kjp1969 said:
I've thought about grafting the flippey part of a Flip-Pac onto my Bronco's fiberglass half-roof, flipping to the rear a-la Earthroamer JK. I haven't even gotten to the point of taking measurements, but I'm sure its doable. I don't know if its doable without looking like hell, though.

That was my thought.

At first I was thinking Westy top also, Westys can be purchased fairly cheap, I have found a few of them for less $500 with all of the top and cabinets still there.

Then I realized that the flip-pac would be a better idea in an 80. I would Flip it to the front, over the hood. That would allow you to have the bed made up and still allow you to move around and stand up inside the 80. Most importantly, you could get up and get dressed while your signifigant other could still be sleeping.

I think you would have to flip the section over the hood on the 80 to allow the rear hatch to lift completely up.

I just have to find a flip-pac to "cut" up. I'm not sure whether to try and re-fit west cabinets into the 80 or make new ones. I already have a line on an 80 body, so I can practice on that. Just a matter of collecting all of the parts and cutting every thing up.:yikes:

I have too many other things going on right now, but that is the plan I have in my head.

Jack

Elvota

Observer
Actually.... just thinking out loud...

Why not start with a 1st Gen? Seems like with the removable top you could experiment a bit and possible have more flexibility in your design. You wouldn't have to worry about changing the rigidity of the 4Runner seeing that is designed to have the top taken off anyway.

Also, if you screw up to bad... just find a new factory shell and you are good as new.

Seems like it would be a shame to start chopping that nice 2001.

Heck, get a 1st Gen with a 3.0 and will swap in the 3.4 from your 2001 with the 3.0 and vice versa. Then you can sell the 2001 with a "special edition" limited HP V6. :xxrotflma

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
You are evil! :littlefriend:
Hahahaha!
I may do it if I can do it well or use the sunroof as the entry point. That way the mods would be minimal. Ahh, who knows. I'll keep thinking about it and see if I can get the guts up!

Elvota said:
Actually.... just thinking out loud...

Why not start with a 1st Gen? Seems like with the removable top you could experiment a bit and possible have more flexibility in your design. You wouldn't have to worry about changing the rigidity of the 4Runner seeing that is designed to have the top taken off anyway.

Also, if you screw up to bad... just find a new factory shell and you are good as new.

Seems like it would be a shame to start chopping that nice 2001.

Heck, get a 1st Gen with a 3.0 and will swap in the 3.4 from your 2001 with the 3.0 and vice versa. Then you can sell the 2001 with a "special edition" limited HP V6. :xxrotflma

dlbrunner

Adventurer
Damn Tim I was having the same brain fart the other day!!!

You know, we could make a fiberbglass mold pretty easily, maybe something 2 piece, where the bottom half bolts to the existing roof, attaches the "tent" to the upper flip up part. the Tent would not be too tough either, I met a guy 10 years ago who had a custom tent made for his M416, IIRC it was a less expensive option to the RTT (at the time), and he had it made to his specs.

I have something rolling around in my head, but would hate to spill all the beans and give away a potentially good business idea.

Let me get my carport framed so I have a skunkworks "Laboratory" :peepwall:

I have no experience laying glass though.

I don't really think cutting a big hole in the roof would give too much heartburn. You could also put a second sunroof in the back or something.

I had a 76 westy, it is essentially a bus with a hole in the roof. Having the ability to flip the bed out of the way when not sleeping would give some flexibility in the cargo compartment

kjp1969

Explorer
It would look pretty slick to use the existing roof as a slug for the mold in order to keep the body lines stock. Way easier than trying to fab something from scratch. . .

eugene

Explorer
Seems like it would be just as much work to adapt an old top from one of those as it would be to just buy a new rooftop tent and remove the floor then cut your roof to fit.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
locrwln said:
That was my thought.

At first I was thinking Westy top also, Westys can be purchased fairly cheap, I have found a few of them for less $500 with all of the top and cabinets still there.

Then I realized that the flip-pac would be a better idea in an 80. I would Flip it to the front, over the hood. That would allow you to have the bed made up and still allow you to move around and stand up inside the 80. Most importantly, you could get up and get dressed while your signifigant other could still be sleeping.

I think you would have to flip the section over the hood on the 80 to allow the rear hatch to lift completely up.

I just have to find a flip-pac to "cut" up. I'm not sure whether to try and re-fit west cabinets into the 80 or make new ones. I already have a line on an 80 body, so I can practice on that. Just a matter of collecting all of the parts and cutting every thing up.:yikes:

I have too many other things going on right now, but that is the plan I have in my head.

Jack
I would build new cabinets. RV type cabinetry is typicaly very heavy, lots of partical board. You can build lighter cabinets out of 1/8" Luan with a 1x2 pine frame. Thats how our old Mercury teardrop was built. Just use 1/4" where you have to, like shelves and the bottoms of the cabinets. 3/16" plywood is strong enough for countertops that don't see daily use. Safari RV on Kietzke sells all the locking latches and stuff.
I re-built all the cabinets in our 57 Mercury, let me know if I can help.

ttravis5446

Adventurer
Try http://www,bustedbus.com

They are west of Denver and do nothing but 68-79 VW bus parts. Chris is a really cool guy to deal with. I used to work there back in the day for the former owners when I was a big VW guy. We sold a 74-79 Westy pop top to a guy who put it on an FJ60 and a Sportsmobile top to a guy who put it on a built IH Travel-All. I would definately recommend a 74-79 model over a 68-73 model. Much better hinges and latches and they pop up taller if I remember correctly. They also have a bed up there, while the earlier ones only had a single person cot. I'm not too familiar with the Vanagon Westy tops, they are very similar to the 74-79 models, just wider and with a different roof contour. None of my Vanagons were pop tops so I don't know much more than that. I just saw a 68-71 Dormobile camper shell in Loveland last time I was down there. I didn't save the phone number on its for sale sign. It is the same style top they used on the old Land Rover Dormobiles though.

Bad Voodoo

Unassuming Superhero
Hey Tim,

I just met a guy this weekend who has customized Westies for his own personal expedition-style use - saw one of his rigs in a shop mid-build, and it's pretty sweet. He's supposed to have sent me his info via email but I haven't checked my work account yet (trying to forget I have a real job to return to tomorrow). I'll get you his info after I collect it when I get back to the office this week.

He might even be posting one of his completed Westies for sale here on EP, considering I told him it might be the perfect place to get some attention for an expedition vehicle of this type. ;)

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
I'm in agreement with Elvota on this one. A first gen 4runner just seems like it has more possiblities and would be a little more flexible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94