Ever thought of canibalizing a Westy for a modern SUV?

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Looking at things like dormobiles and ecampers I started to think. Long term, it would be nice to at some point turn my 4runner into a pop top camper...

I've contacted most companies that make these conversions and they are all unwilling to sell just components, which I understand.

The alternative would be to start measuring different years westfalias and see what model would best fit an 01 4runner.

Just a crazy pipe dream at this point, but I'd like to do it someday.

Anyone have any ideas or sources of where to get the parts for this??

I can find plenty of replacement parts site for the gas lifting shocks or replacement fabric, but I don't see any complete units anywhere.

I may just have to buy and then kill a westy for parts some day. I don't want to, but it may have to die for the runner to live on...

kjp1969

Explorer
I have thought of this- my parents had an '81 Vanagon Westy. It was a great camper and an absolutely horrid vehicle. But the cabinets and appliances were great quality and worked very well. Your best bet would be to cannibalize an old one, if you could find one that was cheap enough to make it worthwhile.

For aesthetics, you would probably want to build your own poptop, if you wanted to go that route. My parents' didn't use struts to lift the lid, but rather some kind of internal spring and cable thing, likely so they didn't have to make the roof too rigid.

I can't see how you would have enough headroom in a 4 runner to "use" it without the roof lifted, which is one of the beautiful things about a Westy- you can use everything but the upper bunk just as it sits.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Tim,

I am the same boat as you. I love my 4Runner and I am trying to find ways to extend the "living space".

There are a couple people who have done it with Toyota FJ60.
They put a Westfalia roof on it. if you search enough you may be able to find pics online.

But I am afraid the 4Runner is too small to make this option feasible.

In the meantime, I just bought one of these on Ebay...I don't really have high expectations, but we'll see.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sportz-Mid-Size...kparms=72:552|39:1|65:12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Last edited:

Carlyle

Explorer
There was a picture on the portal a while back of a Unimog with a Westy conversion sitting on the back. Don't remember where, but it was interesting to say the least. :confused:

I've used the Sportz tent for several years on our older truck camper with excellent results. I put snaps on the tent and camper and attached it that way, even worked in the wind and rain to double your floor space. I just need to make it work with the additional height of the new camper now.

sami

Explorer
I've daydreamered about this gone 4runner stylee... It's possible if you like the custom work and have lots of time on your hands ;)

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Sorry my memory isn't better, but I think someone, possibly Joaquin Suave, posted on here the name of a salvage yard that had several Westy tops. Have you done a search? :)

SOAZ

Good call. I like that, but not the time to deploy. I like to move fast... kinda fast anyway.

I was thinking of getting an awning so that if I need to I can zip on some walls for more living space. What I'd really like to do is use my sunroof as an entrance to the sleeping area. That way I don't have to hack up the whole roof as much and I can keep it "structuraly more sound"
Let me know how that set up is to use?

2aroundtheworld said:
Tim,

I am the same boat as you. I love my 4Runner and I am trying to find ways to extend the "living space".

There are a couple people who have done it with Toyota FJ60.
They put a Westfalia roof on it. if you search enough you may be able to find pics online.

But I am afraid the 4Runner is too small to make this option feasible.

In the meantime, I just bought one of these on Ebay...I don't really have high expectations, but we'll see.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sportz-Mid-Size...kparms=72:552|39:1|65:12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

SOAZ

sami said:
I've daydreamered about this gone 4runner stylee... It's possible if you like the custom work and have lots of time on your hands ;)

Seriously! I dream of that too!

I wonder if the entire shell is custom made for each one of their custom campers or whether they buy the shell from some "other" application...

SOAZ

I remember he had one on the back of his jeep. I wasn't able to find anything by searching, but now that you jogged my mind I may have some other terms I can try. Thank you!!

Lynn said:
Sorry my memory isn't better, but I think someone, possibly Joaquin Suave, posted on here the name of a salvage yard that had several Westy tops. Have you done a search? :)

blupaddler

Conspirator
Joaquin put a westy top on his Scrambler. It is the later bay window style that pops straight up.

Going up through the sunroof is a good option, as most westy's are designed to be accessed from the front anyway. And there are enough floating around that you shouldn't have to buy one intact just to use the top, add that places like, go westy, should also sell replacement canvas too.

This is a project that I have thought about for a while, because you effectively get a roof-top-tent, but could still use racks to hold light items such as surfboards. Which is my main/biggest concern with my RTT.

SOAZ

Exactly. I also like that it effectively becomes part of the truck. Doesn't add as much height as a RTT and should be even quicker to deploy...
There are a few westy's for sale on there with new canvas and everything. Might be a cool project!

blupaddler said:
Joaquin put a westy top on his Scrambler. It is the later bay window style that pops straight up.

Going up through the sunroof is a good option, as most westy's are designed to be accessed from the front anyway. And there are enough floating around that you shouldn't have to buy one intact just to use the top, add that places like, go westy, should also sell replacement canvas too.

This is a project that I have thought about for a while, because you effectively get a roof-top-tent, but could still use racks to hold light items such as surfboards. Which is my main/biggest concern with my RTT.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
SOAZ said:
Good call. I like that, but not the time to deploy. I like to move fast... kinda fast anyway.

I was thinking of getting an awning so that if I need to I can zip on some walls for more living space. What I'd really like to do is use my sunroof as an entrance to the sleeping area. That way I don't have to hack up the whole roof as much and I can keep it "structuraly more sound"
Let me know how that set up is to use?

I will for sure. That's also my biggest concern.
I hate when it takes forever to put up. I am also concerned about the size of tent when packed and the weight. I will share my experience.

hoser

Explorer
SOAZ said:
Seriously! I dream of that too!

I wonder if the entire shell is custom made for each one of their custom campers or whether they buy the shell from some "other" application...
That is a one off. The truck was later purchased by TJM as a promo vehicle. I am also interested in duplicating such a camper top. I have a approached a couple of fabrication shops but haven't found anybody yet. After renting a 78 series Land Cruiser Troopie Camper with Pop Top, I've been dreaming of owning one or something like it.

http://www.google.com/translate?u=http://www.ronaldbrunner.ch/projekte/hdj100.htm&langpair=de|en&hl=en&ie=UTF8

kjp1969

Explorer
I've thought about grafting the flippey part of a Flip-Pac onto my Bronco's fiberglass half-roof, flipping to the rear a-la Earthroamer JK. I haven't even gotten to the point of taking measurements, but I'm sure its doable. I don't know if its doable without looking like hell, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne