PROJECT PAYLOAD, 2007 Harley Edition F250

SFROMAN

Adventurer
PROJECT PAYLOAD

PAYLOAD= the load carried by a vehicle exclusive of what is necessary for its operation; especially : the load carried consisting of things for delivery at a target or destination.

IMG_0536.JPG

Last edited:

SFROMAN

Adventurer
Nov 2016 to Nov 2009
I have lots of pictures of the truck exploring many places in New Mexico and Southern Arizona and even a few trips into Northern Mexico and one trip to San Diego California. Most of this was in stock form and was fairly mild offroad stuff if any at all. Unfortunately my hard drive with all those pictures are lost.

So back to 2009
I drove from North Carolina to Dallas to Brownsville Texas then back to North Carolina. This is when I installed the first modifications to the truck.

In the middle of Texas helping out a guy on the highway.

I picked up the shell in Atlanta on my way and the paint guy in Dallas flaked on me so for this trip the camper stayed white.

shortly after arriving in Brownsville TX I changed the tires out

Now the truck was ready to work

I did get a chance to do a little exploring. Made it all the way to East Cut on SPI TX

This was just under 4000 mile round trip.

Last edited:

SFROMAN

Adventurer
Early 2010 did some minor scouting and exploring around Fort Bragg NC

Finally in spring of that year the weather was good enough to color match the camper, so we celebrated by going back to the lake we had scouted earlier in the year

the truck was pretty basic at the time but served its purpose

Last edited:

SFROMAN

Adventurer
At the same time in Spring of 2011 I was doing alot more offroading with my FJ40 which I hauled with the F250

AT Gulches SC

I signed up to do the Ride Across Gerogia but at the last minute the FJ40 was having issues so decided to do the run in the truck

Last edited:

SFROMAN

Adventurer
Summer 2011 I went down to Florida to look at properties since we were going to be moving there. I did some exploring while I was there.

Dirt roads for hundreds of miles and luckily I have access to them.

Last edited:

SFROMAN

Adventurer
After 2 trips back and forth to Florida almost 4,000 miles in about 2 weeks I found a place to live and hand managed to get a head start by hauling a bunch of my tools and other project vehicles.

the truck performed flawlessly.

But right before heading back to Florida for the last time I went to Home Depot and when I came out of the store this is what I found.

Luckily it was superficial damage but I could not drive it since the wheel was hitting the bumper.

I used an axe that I had in the tool back to pry the bumper back just enough to be able to move across the parking lot to a tree.

I used some ratchet straps tied to the bumper and tree and was able to force the bumper out enough to be able to drive ho

the truck remained in this state for a while since I got real busy at work and had to still move to Florida a few days later.

Here is a picture of me hauling some of my junk to Florida. and yes the bumper was still crashed

Last edited:

SFROMAN

Adventurer
Fast forward to Fall of 2012, yeah the truck sat for about a year while I was overseas for work.

Luckily I managed to get the front bumper fender, and headlight but for the better part of a year the truck just sat.

I did another 4,000 mile round trip from Florida to Wisconsin to Texas and back to Florida.

The only issue encountered was the batteries needing to be replaced.

at around the 3,000 mile mark and about 10 states later. She was dirty

The only real off pavement travel we did was a few miles in wisconsin to get to my FIL's cabin and in Texas we hung out in the shores of the Laguna madre across the Bay from Port Isabel TX

Last edited:

SFROMAN

Adventurer
Fast forward again to Fall of 2013. Again the truck sat while I was away for work overseas.

While I was away I ordered a new ARB bumper for the truck. We had some very near misses with deer strikes in Wisconsin a year earlier and we were planning on making the same trip again. I also wanted new tires but wanted to get rid of the 20 inch stock rims. I have popped a bead while driving in the sand with those 20 inch rims. Maybe it was the fact that I deflated it too much or maybe it was the fact that the side walls are not that big.

Either way the solution was to go with a 17 inch rim. I do a lot of overseas work and most of the up armor Landcruisers and F350s we drive use a certain type of rim. I contacted that company and was able to order the rims for my truck. Then I simply ordered some E rated mud terrains.

So the stage was set. I had to work quick because we were going to be leaving on vacation and work sucks but everything turned out great. sort of.

ARB INSTALL

Last edited:

SFROMAN

Adventurer
Deer strike fears now taken care of with the install of the ARB bumper I moved onto mounting the tires to the rims.

17 inch rims

TRUE BEADLOCK

The brand escapes me right now but can get the nake if someone wants it.

The rims are DOT approved as well.

mounting the TOYO 35 x 12.5 x 17 E rated mud terrains

3 x 8= 24 BOLTS per rim x 5 rims = a lot of torquing

loaded them up to the bed got them balanced and mounted them up to the truck

I took the truck for a 20 mile dirt road test drive. Even though the tire is a 35 inch tire which is the same as stock there was slight rubbing at full lock. The offset of the new rims compared to the sock ones created this issue.

Was a little upset but had already anticipated the fitment so I ordered a lift. While waiting on the lift I simply kept the stock rims on and went and did some exploring with the kids.

I believe I did a trip report on this. either way just over 200 miles off pavement is exactly what I needed while I waited for the lift to come in.

Also, the previous years road trip made us wish we had some sort of cover for the bed so I bought a soft cover as a quick fix. I still had the camper but my wife does not like to drive the truck with it on so I take it on and off as needed.

Last edited:

SFROMAN

Adventurer
The lift finally showed up.

I went with a stage 4 ICON 4 inch lift.

not the best picture but I only had a few hours after work to install it.

finished the front in a few hours after work

Then finished the back the next evening. This is what it looked like in the morning of the third day

Test run number 1
headed to the beach mainly just to take pictures

Then we took a local trip to visit the local Forts near Pensacola and Pensacola Beach Florida

Last edited:

SFROMAN

Adventurer
After a few local trips and racking up 200 miles on the new lift I retorqued all the bolts all over again and marked them to make it is easier to make visual inspections in case any of them were to loosen.

I then decided to test the truck out again before taking a longer road trip to Orlando to bring the kids to Disney.

DIRT RUN

The wife asked where I had been.

I told her to come outside and this is what she saw

I washed the truck for what must have been an eternity and still to this day I find that red clay.
I visually checked all the marks on all the bolts and all was good with the lift.

Results- I hit 80 mph on the dirt rd and the suspension felt amazing.

We took a quick trip to Orlando and I took this picture of the truck at a rest stop which I lke alot for some reason

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
Nice looking Ford.

What bead locks are you running and where are you?

Some of those trails looks like North Carolina.

uscg2008

Explorer
That's one good looking truck brotha :Wow1: one of the things I miss most about FL is hitting th trails around cape canaveral, Ocala national forest and around Disney world.

SFROMAN

Adventurer
The rims are civilian branch of Hutchinson wheels. They make almost all military wheels around the world.
The company has a civilian branch that caters to off road racing. It is called rock ready or something like that.

I first saw them on the hilux, landcruisers, and f350s I drive when I am overseas.

The center caps come with an American flag sticker which I removed.

Every bolt also comes with plastic covers but I don't use them. After torquing all 70 some bolts I marked them and use the mark as an aid for visiual inspections.

I bought 5 to have as a spare but one does leak air after about two weeks. No big deal to me since I only need it as a spare and can just air it up if I had to use it.

SFROMAN

Adventurer
In the states I have a house in the Florida pan handle the truck is currently In storage there, and in south Texas.

But I have lived/ worked in three different countries on three different continents in the last 2 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier