Fresh Water System

b63215b

Adventurer
Hello all,

I have been searching and really haven't found any threads on peoples fresh water system in their trailers. I have a 12 gallon tank, that I am getting ready to plumb in my trailer. Ill post pictures on my original build thread once I start it. But I am looking for some suggestions on how to mount inside the trailer, power systems people use to power it, and just general advice people have learned from doing this.

Does anyone have any pictures of build threads on putting a fresh water system in their trailer?

Robert Bills

Explorer
The 14 gallon fresh water system in my Bantam trailer is simple, does not require a 12v pump, has always worked perfectly and has never leaked.

The secret? Mount the tank in the tub over the axle to avoid weight distribution and clearance issues, also the necessity to fabricate a mounting bracket and skidplate. Use gravity feed.

HPIM0153.JPG

JOSX2

Observer
Rob - could ya take a pic of the water tank inside your tub? I'm just curious to see how it looks & the space it takes up.

& good to see a familiar face over in here too ;)

Robert Bills

Explorer
Could ya take a pic of the water tank inside your tub? I'm just curious to see how it looks & the space it takes up.

I don't have a good photo of the tank itself because a Sears truck box sits on top of it. It is this tank (which cost me about 1/3 the current price because it was a "blem" that I picked it up from the factory in Orange County): http://ronco-plastics.net/newRonco/product_details.php?prodID=642. It sits upright directly over the axle.

You can see it (sort of) between the fridge and the cook box in this photo. It is underneath the black plastic Sears truck box.
HPIM0142.JPG

You can see a corner of it in this photo:
HPIM0149.JPG

I have a shut off valve underneath the trailer as well as the spigot - redundancy to prevent water loss in case one valve starts leaking.

HPIM0155.JPG

I can fill the tank from the top (garden hose, gas station hose, bucket, whatever), or by using the female-female hose adaptor shown I can fill the tank with city water through a hose at the bottom:

HPIM0153.JPG

Hope this helps you visualize things.

b63215b

Adventurer
I don't have a good photo of the tank itself because a Sears truck box sits on top of it. It is this tank (which cost me about 1/3 the current price because it was a "blem" that I picked it up from the factory in Orange County): http://ronco-plastics.net/newRonco/product_details.php?prodID=642. It sits upright directly over the axle.

You can see it (sort of) between the fridge and the cook box in this photo. It is underneath the black plastic Sears truck box.
HPIM0142.JPG

You can see a corner of it in this photo:
HPIM0149.JPG

I have a shut off valve underneath the trailer as well as the spigot - redundancy to prevent water loss in case one valve starts leaking.

HPIM0155.JPG

I can fill the tank from the top (garden hose, gas station hose, bucket, whatever), or by using the female-female hose adaptor shown I can fill the tank with city water through a hose at the bottom:

HPIM0153.JPG

Hope this helps you visualize things.
Great idea, didn't ever think of that. Do you have a picture of how you fill it?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

b63215b

Adventurer
Rob - could ya take a pic of the water tank inside your tub? I'm just curious to see how it looks & the space it takes up.

& good to see a familiar face over in here too ;)
Thanks for jacking my thread haha, at least it served both our purposes.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
My trailer has a 20 gallon stainless tank sandwiched between the black nose box and grey trailer body.

NKN_9669-1.JPG

Has a 1" clean out plug at the bottom and a boiler drain valve (faucet) on the other side.
I like the boiler style as it opens more quickly and has less flow restriction to getting out the last inch of water at the bottom of the tank..

Z0oJ6ykcpEx_.JPG

Fills at the top where that 1" PVC threaded plug is. When stopped I replace the plug with one that has a foam filter and allows quick airflow when draining water out.

more trailer pix: http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/2014/02/my-expedition-vehicle-trailer.html

b63215b

Adventurer
My trailer has a 20 gallon stainless tank sandwiched between the black nose box and grey trailer body.

NKN_9669-1.JPG

Has a 1" clean out plug at the bottom and a boiler drain valve (faucet) on the other side.
I like the boiler style as it opens more quickly and has less flow restriction to getting out the last inch of water at the bottom of the tank..

Z0oJ6ykcpEx_.JPG

Fills at the top where that 1" PVC threaded plug is. When stopped I replace the plug with one that has a foam filter and allows quick airflow when draining water out.

more trailer pix: http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/2014/02/my-expedition-vehicle-trailer.html
Thanks, nice trailer by the way.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Great idea, didn't ever think of that. Do you have a picture of how you fill it?

If you look at the first photo in post #4 you will see a blue radiator fill neck next to the fridge. That is fitted to the tank with a 90 degree PVC elbow. I can flip up the pressure release on the radiator cap to break the vacuum to get maximum flow from the spigot. I can also fill by hooking up a garden hose to the spigot using the female-female adapter shown in the bottom photo in post #4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior