Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '98 Montero Wrecked... Now What?

Unhappy '98 Montero Wrecked... Now What?

iphone 1302.jpg

Just bought this really well kept gen 2.5 Montero with winter package. Some idiot ran a red light at an intersection and T-Boned me. Thankfully we both walked away with minimal injuries... but the insurance is saying my rig is totaled. Engine wasn't touched, only has 160,000 miles on it. Should I just let it go and try to find another one, or see if I can buy it back and use it as a donor car?

Really bummed ... such a good rig
    2000 Bronze Montero Endeavor
    1998 Black Sea Green Montero (Wrecked)

That sucks. If you can buy it back cheap, have a place to keep it and plan on getting another around the same year, I would say buy it back for spare parts.

DAMN! I've been T-Boned in a Montero before as well, driver side and thankfully walked away as well.
    NEW! Mitsubishi 4WD Forum!

1999 V45W Montero LWB 3.5 SOHC "Blizzard Package"

Not worth keeping. That thing is thrashed, and these are not high mileage engines
    1996 Montero, 37" BFG, 4:1 Rocktrac, 4:88, ARB and Factory Lockers, GPS Speedo, SAS
    2015 4 Runner TRD Pro Inferno with sliders and a rack
    2018 Flame Red Power Wagon. Luxo package and Dual Alternators. Sliders, Extra Skids, wireless remote. What the hell else do you need on a PW?

what a bummer. I'd replace it.
    "Occupy National Parks!" - gabepari
    ------------------------------------------
    TreadLightly! Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid certified
    KI6PFO
    Off Road Photography: www.nwoods.smugmug.com
    @4wdphoto on Twitter & Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by ManfromSnowyRiver View Post
    Not worth keeping. That thing is thrashed, and these are not high mileage engines
    Really? I thought the 3.5 V6 had a reputation as being able to go 300k easy as long as the timing belt and water pump were replaced at regular intervals....

I did find a '93 Montero locally here in Anchorage that is in need of a new engine, I have been contemplating an engine swap into it... the 4.9 gearing with the larger engine from my wrecked '98 seems like it would be a nice combo. I could even swap out the rear locker as well. Or am I barking up the wrong tree and just avoid this as a maintenance monster?
    2000 Bronze Montero Endeavor
    1998 Black Sea Green Montero (Wrecked)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenix View Post
    Really? I thought the 3.5 V6 had a reputation as being able to go 300k easy as long as the timing belt and water pump were replaced at regular intervals....

I did find a '93 Montero locally here in Anchorage that is in need of a new engine, I have been contemplating an engine swap into it... the 4.9 gearing with the larger engine from my wrecked '98 seems like it would be a nice combo. I could even swap out the rear locker as well. Or am I barking up the wrong tree and just avoid this as a maintenance monster?
    That would be a good swap. Assume the '93 is an SR? Locker from the '98 could be swapped, but ring gear size is different so you would need to source a rear 4.9 set from a 3.5l Sport. Whole thing is a lot of work so assume you have a lot of spare time & skills to do it yourself... or for sure not worth it to hire it out unless the '93 is darned near free, even then :-(
    83 Mighty Max SPX - 2.0l 4 speed. ARB bumper, winch, OME 2" rear, Bilsteins, 4.90 rear locker, front LSD. 31x10.5R15
    88 Raider: 4D56T, 5 spd, 4.62 LSD F & R, KYB G/A, T/L, OME Dakar Rear Springs, 33x12.5x15 MTZ, PLH L/Os, Dual Bouncies,
    92 Montero RS M/T - SOLD!
    93 Montero SR Auto 3.0 V6 33x10.5R15LT BFG T/A KO, KYB G/A, 4.88, ARB Bumper, Warn HS9.5k, New Heated Leather, Dual Bouncies
    05 Montero LTD LT285/75R16 BFG T/A KO2, Bilstein, OME Springs
    http://www.tuffpans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenix View Post

Don't even know what he is talking about. Maybe he needs a Snickers. If you have the ability to keep the drivetrain, I would.

sent from my pretty good Android phone

3.5 SOHC is a super reliable and proven motor, The DOHC is too but requires more attention. They're not uncommon to break 300k miles.
    NEW! Mitsubishi 4WD Forum!

1999 V45W Montero LWB 3.5 SOHC "Blizzard Package"

500,000 on my 2.6L and a hair shy of 300,000 on my 1990 LWB 3.0. Really it is all on the maintenance, good oil and filter and you are good to go.

Javy
    1988 Mitsubishi Montero SWB 5spd - almost 500K miles
    1990 Mitsubishi Montero LWB A/T- AKA Titanium
    2001 Mitsubishi Montero XLS - Wife's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast