'98 Montero Wrecked... Now What?

Ravenix

iphone 1302.jpg

Just bought this really well kept gen 2.5 Montero with winter package. Some idiot ran a red light at an intersection and T-Boned me. Thankfully we both walked away with minimal injuries... but the insurance is saying my rig is totaled. Engine wasn't touched, only has 160,000 miles on it. Should I just let it go and try to find another one, or see if I can buy it back and use it as a donor car?

Really bummed ... such a good rig

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
That sucks. If you can buy it back cheap, have a place to keep it and plan on getting another around the same year, I would say buy it back for spare parts.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
DAMN! I've been T-Boned in a Montero before as well, driver side and thankfully walked away as well.

Ravenix

Not worth keeping. That thing is thrashed, and these are not high mileage engines

Really? I thought the 3.5 V6 had a reputation as being able to go 300k easy as long as the timing belt and water pump were replaced at regular intervals....

I did find a '93 Montero locally here in Anchorage that is in need of a new engine, I have been contemplating an engine swap into it... the 4.9 gearing with the larger engine from my wrecked '98 seems like it would be a nice combo. I could even swap out the rear locker as well. Or am I barking up the wrong tree and just avoid this as a maintenance monster?

plh

Explorer
Really? I thought the 3.5 V6 had a reputation as being able to go 300k easy as long as the timing belt and water pump were replaced at regular intervals....

I did find a '93 Montero locally here in Anchorage that is in need of a new engine, I have been contemplating an engine swap into it... the 4.9 gearing with the larger engine from my wrecked '98 seems like it would be a nice combo. I could even swap out the rear locker as well. Or am I barking up the wrong tree and just avoid this as a maintenance monster?

That would be a good swap. Assume the '93 is an SR? Locker from the '98 could be swapped, but ring gear size is different so you would need to source a rear 4.9 set from a 3.5l Sport. Whole thing is a lot of work so assume you have a lot of spare time & skills to do it yourself... or for sure not worth it to hire it out unless the '93 is darned near free, even then :-(

mudraider

Adventurer

Don't even know what he is talking about. Maybe he needs a Snickers. If you have the ability to keep the drivetrain, I would.

sent from my pretty good Android phone

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
3.5 SOHC is a super reliable and proven motor, The DOHC is too but requires more attention. They're not uncommon to break 300k miles.

JAVYPRO

Observer
500,000 on my 2.6L and a hair shy of 300,000 on my 1990 LWB 3.0. Really it is all on the maintenance, good oil and filter and you are good to go.

Javy

Ravenix

Back in the Game!

So after a long and fruitless search for a replacement, I've finally found another 2.5 Monty!!!

2000 Montero Endeavor model, (bummer no rear lock) but in pretty decent shape and I'm digging the bronze color :ylsmoke:

Anyhow, going to get some tires and suspension work done today... then I need to find a local mechanic that knows these beasts to have a look at it.

So, as I am just visiting SLC for the Holidays and will need to drive back to Alaska in a few weeks... Does anyone know a good mechanic in the SLC Utah area? Much appreciate any suggestions, Thanks!!!

2000 Montero Endeavor.jpg

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
So after a long and fruitless search for a replacement, I've finally found another 2.5 Monty!!!

2000 Montero Endeavor model, (bummer no rear lock) but in pretty decent shape and I'm digging the bronze color :ylsmoke:

Anyhow, going to get some tires and suspension work done today... then I need to find a local mechanic that knows these beasts to have a look at it.

So, as I am just visiting SLC for the Holidays and will need to drive back to Alaska in a few weeks... Does anyone know a good mechanic in the SLC Utah area? Much appreciate any suggestions, Thanks!!!

View attachment 429399

What all do you need fixed?

Ravenix

Just the usual "new to me" maintenance. I've no idea when the timing belt was last done, so that and the water pump, updated crank bolt and washer. Plus just have all the fluids changed and the accessories belts, spark plugs and such...

I'm not from SLC, just here visiting family for holidays when I ran across this little find. So I don't have access to my shop or tools back home, plus it's a Looong drive back to Anchorage so I want it gone through thoroughly before I take off...

Ravenix

Nobody has a mechanic they'd recommend in the SLC area?

How about John Kruger Automotive? I had a 4WD alignment done at Russ's Alignment, they offered his shop as a possible place to take the Montero into. However, if anyone on the forum that's familiar with a good Mitsubishi mechanic has a recommendation I'd be happy to take your advice:wavey:

The evolution is moving forward pretty nicely otherwise. I've stripped the running boards off and installed new 31" BFG KO2 tires with a set of Bilstein 4600 shocks, so much better!!! Looks great too :Wow1:

Going to give it a solid wash an detail today, see how pretty I can make a 18 year old Monty look....

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Nobody has a mechanic they'd recommend in the SLC area?

How about John Kruger Automotive? I had a 4WD alignment done at Russ's Alignment, they offered his shop as a possible place to take the Montero into. However, if anyone on the forum that's familiar with a good Mitsubishi mechanic has a recommendation I'd be happy to take your advice:wavey:

The evolution is moving forward pretty nicely otherwise. I've stripped the running boards off and installed new 31" BFG KO2 tires with a set of Bilstein 4600 shocks, so much better!!! Looks great too :Wow1:

Going to give it a solid wash an detail today, see how pretty I can make a 18 year old Monty look....

I do my own work so I don't have anyone to suggest, but if the guys at Russ's make a suggestion it is usually pretty reliable, Russ's is the best around and you were lucky to get an appointment so soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94