Nd4SpdSe's 2003 Xterra SE/SC MT

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
Hello everyone!
I'm a long time lurker on this section, but I've spend the last few years in the trailers section. I honestly haven't really felt like it was a fit to post the build here since it's not really a vehicle I was doing an expedition build, but I guess it could fit the bill with what I've done, and I've had a few requests on information on my X and if I had a build here, so might as well post it up. I'll grab the details from my other build threads on CNTC and XN.
Hi, my name is Mike. I'm born and raised in Ontario, Canada (Niagara region) but I joined the army just over 6 years ago and am currently posted and living in Quebec City, Quebec for the last 4 years.
I picked up my Xterra in May 2008. Actually, I wanted some sort of 4x4 truck as my first car, which ended up being a Mazda Mx-3 that I bought in April 2002). Although I was looking for a truck here and there, I didn't really know what I wanted, but I was looking at the 05+ Tacoma's or a Ranger. A worn throttle cable got stuck and blew the motor in the Mx-3 in fall 2007. That January I actually had a line on a '96 Pathfinder, but that fell through, however looking into Pathfinders, I did come across info on the Xterra. I was driving my parents '02 Escape during that time, which I really liked, but wasn't what I wanted/needed; I needed a real truck, something tough and off-road capable with real 4WD and decided that I didn't need specifically a pickup truck; I have no real need for a bed. Not long later I went to to a friend's place to pickup an Mx-3 manual trans and he had just gotten his Xterra. From there it just clicked. Although I didn't know what was exactly wrong with the Mx-3 at the time, I figurd that it was a good idea to finally get my truck and take my time on the Mx-3 and do what I want. Unfortunately the Mx-3 was retired because it was just too costly to get her back on the road with not only a new (and better) KLZE motor (an all-motor build was planned) and underbody starting to rust through. I parted her out and picked up a *MINT* 2004 Mazda Rx-8 in 2011 which had minimal mods, and I picked up a 20001 SB/CC Frontier to start my "Frontrailer" project in the end of 2014.
2003 Nissan Xterra SE Supercharged - 4x4 & 5-Speed
Purchased Milleage:
73'000kms (May 2008)
Current Milleage:
128'000 (March 2010)
174'000 (January 2013)
192'000 (January 2014)
200'000 (January 2015)
220'000 (January 2016)
248'000 (October 2017)
Mods:
Performance
- Resistor Mod (Replaces the Knock Sensor Relocation)
- NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
- Doug Thorley Headers
- 2.5" Stainless Exhaust - Catless
- Volant Intake
- Supercharged AT Radiator (MT's come with the NA rad apparently)
Tires & Rims:
- 33/12.5 GoodYear Wrangler MT/R Kevlar on Frontier Desert Runner 15" rims + Spare (Off-Road)
- 265/70 Hercules Avalanche X-Treme SUV + Studded on 17" SE/SC rims (Winter)
x 32/11.5 GoodYear Wrangler MT/R Kevlar on Pathfinder 15" rims (Off-Road
x 31/10.5 Yokohama Geolanger I/T on Pathfinder 15" rims (Winter)
x 265/65 Goodyear Wrangler SR-A on 17" SE/SC rims (Summer)
Suspension:
- 2" Body Lift
- Grassroots4x4 Center Link
- Rear Sway Bar Removed
- Idler Arm Brace
- SLR Upper Control Arms
- Revolver Shackles
- Rancho 9000XL Front Shocks
- Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks
- Low Profile Pump Stops
- Heavy Duty Torsion Bars
- Heavy Duty Tie Rod Adjusters
- Military-Wrap Leaf Springs
- Rear Shocks Relocation / Inbound Shocks
- Extended Rear Brake Line
x Rancho RS900XL Rear Shocks(Junk. 3 sets in a year and a half)
Armor:
- Shrockworks Engine, Trans and T-Case Skid Plates
- Reinforced Brush Guard
- Custom Rear Bumper
- Shrockworks Sliders
- Leaf Spring UB Skidderz
- Transistion skid from the frame to the forward leaf spring hanger
Exterior:
- Tundra Tested 10'000lb Winch w/In-Cabin Controls
- Nissan Pathfinder/Navara Hardbody Snorkel
- Firestick CB Antenna
- High-Lift with Lock on Roof Rack (Clears the RTT!)
- Tail Light Guards
- Factory mud guards removed
- Factory Class III Hitch
- Headlight Trim And Grill Painted Black
- Rear Differential Breather
- Receiver mounted level fold-down spare tire carrier
- Under truck spare tire is still there
x SuperWinch LP8500
x Titan Winch 10K
Interior:
- Heated Front and Rear Seats w/Nissan OEM Switches (Pathfinder/Maxima)
- Auto-Dim Rear View Mirror
- Lotek A-pillar gauge pod w/Boost & Oil Pressure gauges
- Volt gauge mount on lower right of dash
- Motomaster 1500w A/C inverter under the passenger seat & outlet in the rear cubby hole
- Sgt_Logo Shelf Mod
- Fire Extinguisher mounted on top of the factory sub trim panel
- Nissan All-Weather Floor Mats
- Deeper Center Dash Cubby Hole from a Frontier (Since the OEM amplifier is no longer there)
x Vector 1200w AC Inverter (Died Submerged In Water)
x Motomaster 1750w Inverter (Just Died One Day)
Entertainment
- Pioneer Premier 980BT Head Unit
- Claron Tweeters, 6.5" front speakers and 6x9 rear speaker driven from the head unit.
- PAC SWI-PS Steering Wheel Controls Interface
- Custom CarPC install mounted above the glovebox with 7" LCD
- Cobra 18WXSTII CB radio mounted under the head unit
- Rear Seat Headrest TV's
- Pioneer 10" Slim Subwoofer in OEM Enclosure powered by a Pioneer 700w Amp.
Electrical
- 165amp GM Marine Alternator
- Dual Optima Yellow Tops (in OEM location) using PAC 200amp Isolator
- Heated Driver's Side Mirror (Triggered with Rear Defrost) (Passenger mirror will happen eventually)
- Block Heater
- Clutch Bypass Switch
- Fog Light Highbeam-Off Bypass
- LED Brake, 3rd Brake, Reverse, License Plate, Side Marker and Parking Lights (from VLEDs.com)
- Side Marker Inverse Flash to Signal Lights Mod
- 4300K Hi/Lo HID kit.
Future Mods
- 42" spot and flood combo LED light bar (To Be Installed)
- White Underbody (Offroad/Work) lights (To Be Installed)
- Megasquirt Engine Management System (To Be Installed, But Need Intercooler First)
- Laminova Intercooler x 3 (Need SC Plenum and Supercharger for measurements)
- Differential Drop Bushings (To Be Installed, Maybe)
- Shrockworks Fuel Tank Skid Plate
- Electric Fan w/Shut Off
- 2.3" Supercharger Pulley (Not Before Intercooler)
- 300ZX (Z31) or JWT Cams
- Front and Rear ARB Lockers
- Transfer Case Crawler Gears
SkymYyc.jpg

ZHsHIAF.jpg

8xxTgSd.jpg

zK5uA4V.jpg

iYIzr8n.jpg

nfSxEcZ.jpg

8MyQbHf.jpg

Last edited:

Xterabl

Adventurer
Wow, really like your set-up. I have a 2000 Xterra.
Couple questions: is your clutch bypass the old Coolerman's kit? How do you like your revolver shackles...any problems?

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
Wow, really like your set-up. I have a 2000 Xterra.
Couple questions: is your clutch bypass the old Coolerman's kit? How do you like your revolver shackles...any problems?

Thanks!

I didn't even know there was a kit. The clutch bypass is really easy; I just tap into the wire before the clutch switch, ran that wire to my own button, and that goes to ground.

I like the revolvers, but I had issues with them coming loose over time. They've been good since I've been using some red Loctite in the threads.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I'll post up a bit of an update, but not much on the Xterra front in terms of mods. I focused all my time on my trailer for our trip out east. I've been slowly working on a roof basket, but I did get my 42" light bar installed in September. I found a deal for a cheap 24" light bar on eBay and installed it Friday. Personally, I don't care if they're cheap Chinese versions, they work damn great, and they're not mission critical stuff either. I also had time, and decided to work on reattempting on running the wires for the 3rd brake light on the tire carrier. I ran out of time in spring to work on it. My planned path for the wires was getting all jammed up and pinched. With that finally done, I can look and working to make a production version of it.

CfFdUfB.jpg

BOrjpv2.jpg

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
Hmm. Been a while since I've updated here.

I didn't even postup any information about the trip out into Eastern Canada we did. It's a trip that I wanted to do for a long time, and glad I did.

BiHZtxX.jpg

[img[http://i.imgur.com/vdTMiYM.jpg[/img]

U4G9e63.jpg

Around Pleasant Bay, engine ran hot on the way up (was slow in 2nd gear) and the brakes got not on the way down.
Qojxm6R.jpg

And stuck on the beach at Meat Cove
6I6EaT1.jpg

Enjoying a beer with Mr Keith.
sUMhI2V.jpg

And somehow broke 2 lugs on the start of the longest stretch of the trip, and the second last day of the trip.
RcIRdFT.jpg

And on the way to store the trailer for the season, I stopped to get it's weight, and found out that I'm overweight. Myself and my tools in the truck as well, but still.
GOJ1n8H.jpg

And in December, she towed a Krampus-themed Christmas parade float to showcase the haunted house.
cOwa60b.jpg

ODwSsCo.jpg

4tPMa9j.jpg

HQ6cE2I.jpg

This summer I had started a super low profile roof basket but had put it to the side, but for the Xmas parade we had planned to put someone on the roof of the X, so I had to do a quick finish on it. It still needs some work, but that will wait until spring.

43axSWs.jpg

211dIcH.jpg

3hcAwnD.jpg

I also weighted the truck (and trailer) right before putting away the trailer for the year.
GOJ1n8H.jpg

This year not much work was done in the way of vehicles because we bought our first house!
And with the house, came renovations, and the truck had to do some work. Like carrying 30 bags/1980lbs of cement
iUlEOHJ.jpg

Also the in-laws, and their cousin, wanted to take a trip down to my hometown in Niagara, but my parents wanted to rent me a U-Haul for the trip back to bring back some stuff, so I couldn't bring the trailer. We were suppose to camp on the way there and back, so the tent and awning where transferred to the truck.
gtBDpVd.jpg

jAWgcuO.jpg

8KRdPz2.jpg

N2C0XH1.jpg

And 1000kms back with the U-Haul
i054X3t.jpg

dEOIt1S.jpg

And in the last few weeks, I finished up my front receiver. While many don't like my reinforced brush guard, I did design the mount to be interchangeable and make other accessories. This came in handy and made loading up the passageways doable as one person. Even as 3 (with the girlfriend and her cousin) helping, it was still necessary, but at least I had them to help guide it while I winched them across the yard and to not get stuck on anything, or tear off the rain gutters off our house.
Nw6MPis.jpg

Not a pretty trailer, not mine either, but it works!.
bO9rykC.jpg

Al8l9w1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles