Hippo80 build

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Hello everyone,

Some background on my current LC build aka Hippo

Recently sold my 1992 Land Cruiser. Loved everything about it (except power and fuel mileage). It was my first Toyota 4x4. The thing had 260K and was unbelievably stout and reliable vehicle. Had great times with it, but felt like it was time to move on. After all it was my temporary rig while I worked on converting my Montero to SAS and dual cases.

So back to no truck, at least no truck that drives.

Here are some pics of my old cruiser

Well, sometime later a buddy of mine called to let me know that his grandma had a broken "old" 90s cruiser parked in her driveway which she no longer cared for. They owned the truck for about 7 years which was passed down from a friend of theirs who was a pharmaceutical tycoon that had it since new. The car has never seen offroad in its entire life :/

Long story short the truck is a 1994, 190K on the clock fully loaded with lockers. I didn't pay much because they just wanted the thing out of their driveway. Lets just say a decent set of 35s cost more. :ylsmoke:
It had minor body imperfections. oh and it wasn't drivable because from what I was told something blew on the freeway. Engine ran fine but had scary noises coming from the front axle.

I towed the truck back home. I was hoping to find a broken birfield.
After tearing apart the front axle I found out that most of the diff fluid leaked out, which overheated the diff which eventually grenaded the ring and pinion while the truck was on the freeway.

I knew I wanted to build something more capable. So I decided it do complete regear. Local shop in Sacramento gave me a great deal on a set of 5.29, new seals and bearings. The journals on the front diff had to be machined because it got so hot that it spun a bearing.

This is how it arrived at the shop.

Goal for the truck:
Catch up on maintenance
3link front
Longer upper and lower arms for the rear
37" tires
Crawler gears
Build front and rear bumpers, sliders and accessories
Must be driven to trail and back

Here are some progress pics.

Diffs are out

this is where most of the fluid leaked out

alot of cleanup

off to the gear shop

Ordered complete front seal and bearings set from Cruiser Outfitters

Diffs are all done. Look like new.

Painted knuckle and steering components. Putting everything back together.

Last edited:

SONICMASD

Adventurer
That's awesome stuff right there, though I don't know how you're managing 2 serious build simultaneously!?

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
The montero has kinda of been on the back burner. It needs alot work, custom machining for dual cases. A lot of waiting for one thing to be done in order go onto the other.

I need to be on the trails, Im determined to knock this one out fast. At least drivable.

Last edited:

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
My Land Cruiser tale - aka Hippo80 build

Took the car out for a drive today. Upon installation of the diffs the lockers were in the ON position. They will not disengage. I know the motors work because I tested them manually on the bench before assembly. Im almost certain its because of the CDL switch. Truck hasn't been in LOW range forever. Will have to investigate further.
Its almost impossible to turn having both front and rear lockers on.

Last edited:

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Finally drove the truck for the first time. Got the center diff, and front locker to work. Rear locker doesn't want to unlock. Unlocked it manually for now. Truck jumps under you on stock tires with 5.29s.

First wash in months.

Picked up a nice set of 37" BFG Krawlers

Last edited:

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
De-flared the truck. Are these worth anything?

Setup the truck approximately where I want it to sit at ride height.

and shes out. Time to fire up the light saber.

all cleaned up

Started on the frame

Keeping UPS busy

Last edited:

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
got the frame all cleaned up. So much room for activities.

RHD steering arm and high steer arms from Slee

putting together double shear steering

Last edited:

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Starting to settle the axle in its place. I moved the axle 2 inches forward from original location. Its almost time to fire up the squirt gun.

Last edited:

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Some of the parts that Im using for for the suspension.

Ruffstuff 3 link kit.

Ruffstuff axle shock mounts

14" FOX Performance series coilovers

Barnes 4wd shock towers.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Got the lowers mounts welded up.

Ruff stuff heims are no joke

Shortened frame mounts for the lower links

started working on the towers.

Channeled the driver tower to make room for the steering shaft

Cut out some of the sheet metal. Tacked the towers into place for now

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Got the steering setup, used carbide tip die grinder to enlarge the pitman arm to house 5/8 bolt.

Coped the axle mounts

To get the 3 link tubing dimensions right I use home depot 1-3/4 Conduit piping. Its about $2 a foot. Its strong enough to cycle the suspension. Once dialed in, Ill make the final cuts on DOM tubing. Also its waaaay lighter.

Gave it a couple tacks to keep it in place.

Trimmed the center link mount, to sit right on top of the axle.

Ill add support gussets on each side later when I burn everything in place.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
After measuring out the coilovers I realized that I was coming up about 1" short of uptravel. Instead of 5 inches I was at 4'. So I scrapped the Barnes towers, didnt want to wait for shipping so I picked up some towers from Ruffstuff. Good thing that they are about 30min away from me.

I ended up taking about an inch off them to fit my setup.

Got the track bar link mounted

Also moved all of the steering linkges in between the steering arms. Mostly to prevent hitting the frame under flex on the passengers side.

started to cycle the suspension, everything clears on the passenger side.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94