LR4 Hidden Winch: HF DIY Install

MrWesson

Adventurer
How confident are you that a HF winch is actually going to come thru for you when you need it? The rule of thumb I've heard time and time again is that you NEVER skimp out on recovery equipment.

ah ok, makes sense for your situation. Others who are reading this thread should be sure that the winch they get meets its intended use case.

The badlands winch has been mostly well reviewed and is up to the task just fine..

Most any winch short of a Warn is going to be made in china(probably same factory) as the Badlands(HF winch).

If I was headed to Africa or around the world then a Warn should be used but i've seen them and personally owned a 8,000lb version that burned out.

The answer to your question is if you are depending on a winch for recovery and a winch alone then you've failed.. Better have a backup plan when electrics are involved.

Ray_G

Explorer
Warn does a great job marketing. Beyond that I'm not clear there is a substantive difference in most major brands-& I've never been let down by my superwinches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdvRovr

Ambitious but Rubbish
That install looks incredibly clean. Kudos to you! However, I would be worried about that mount plate. That looks like INCREDIBLY thin metal. I've mounted a winch on an lr4 with the factory kit and it was much thicker metal. I hope it doesn't twist or otherwise fail.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Dmarchand

Adventurer
Just a suggestion, but consider mounting a fairlead (bolting two together) on the inside of the bumper skin instead of the bar stock you used. You would also be better served using something like this (http://www.mcmaster.com/#unthreaded-spacers/=12qiivb) in a larger diameter and appropriate larger grade 8+ hardware. You want to consider the lateral force a non-direct recovery is going to put on it.

MrWesson

Adventurer
That install looks incredibly clean. Kudos to you! However, I would be worried about that mount plate. That looks like INCREDIBLY thin metal. I've mounted a winch on an lr4 with the factory kit and it was much thicker metal. I hope it doesn't twist or otherwise fail.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It's made for 12,000lb winches and used in many variety of vehicles through harbor freight.. Mines holding up just fine to a few very hard pulls(pulled a 24" stump, uphill near vertical stuck, and mud to the doors).

In typical fashion I'd guess your mount made by land rover is over-engineered which is nice if you have the coin or it was installed from factory.. These days $800 might be 1/10th the value of the entire truck.. For a mount.

I paid $7,500 for my LR3 and treat it as such. $50 Harbor Freight mount > $800 OEM..

Aakempvt

Thanks, this was incredibly helpful. I wasn't really looking forward to pulling all the stuff off of the front and figuring it out over a weekend or paying for a $600 a hunk of steel.

When I tackle the job I'll document any changes or improvements I make. I think it might make sense to add some vertical plate that attaches to the upper bumper holes as well. But I have no clue if that would work. Let us know how it holds up.

Bama4door

Observer
@cmb6s I'm glad you brought that up, I didn't really think of that when I was installing. I will probably go back in and cut some more of the plastic bumper out and maybe even buy a bigger square tube to go over what I have, just to have more reinforcement.

Bama4door

Observer
**Video of winch in use in first 1st**

Here's a couple shots of the drawer system I built as well. I may do a DIY writeup for those one day as well.

Here's a couple shots of my camp setup from in LBL this past weekend:

Last edited:

morrisdl

Adventurer
What did you do for mounting the front air distribution block? Did the washer bottle need bracing? Thanks!

We are planning a trip to Red River Gorge KY in June and think I might need a winch!

morrisdl

Adventurer
The LR3 bumper might be shorter than the LR4s. I tried and tried and tried to fit 2.5" spacers between the frame and winch tray, but its really not needed and just causes all sorts of bumper fit issues. 4 cutting discs later, I decided to mount directly to my 2006 LR3 frame. The bumper skin is only 1.5" from the front of the tray and everything just fits. I used this fairlead and a pair of 1/2" sockets between the tray and the bumper skin. I was even able to fab some braces for the A-Frame, cutout a section, and reattach it stronger than ever. Should have some good action shots this week in KY.

20170604_213457.jpg

20170607_155543.jpg

just hope it doesn't end like this top gear episode: https://youtu.be/caDuxElh2l0

Last edited:

morrisdl

Adventurer
Sorry - fixed. Google photos is such a PITA. Used it a few times this past week. It worked but thermal shutdown way too often. Im going to return it for a new one and see if that fixes it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles