New to Overlanding, need tips on building my Ram

NoloJS

Hello everyone,
I just learned about this whole Overlanding thing, and it's something that I NEED to do. I haven't had any real adventure since my Army days. I've decided to build up my '04.5 Ram 2500 Quad cab short bed with 146k miles. My transmission was rebuilt at 138k miles with a Gorend valve body and a billet triple disc torque converter. I also have a taterbuilt 62/65 turbo that is amazing for towing...but I'm not sure how it will be when crawling over technical terrain. I am a couple of months away from replacing my stock suspension with the Carli pintop...maybe the Bilstein 2.65 depending on the overtime lol. I do want a rooftop tent, but I haven't found a rack setup that I like. I'm also not sure about using a camper shell or open bed. Other than that I'm just hoping to learn as much as I can from y'all, and all advice is much appreciated.

SilverDodge

If you are really serious about doing suspension work check out a company called Dodge Off road. They have some really good setups that have had the crap engineered out of them. As far as the living situation I would recommend a popup truck bed camper. As long as you don't mind either tying up your bed all the time or don't mind unloading it. I have a 2002 1500 that I am planning to put one of those in.

PhilipE

Observer
If you are really serious about doing suspension work check out a company called Dodge Off road.

Be warned about DOR. That company has a long track record of taking your order and then dropping any forms of communication. If you complain on his farce book page. He will delete your account. He does not return emails. He does not return phone calls after an order is placed. He also does not go by the 30 day ship or refund policy that the Federal Trade Commision has in place.

On the other side of that coin. You will receive the parts you ordered. It might not be anywhere near the time span you would hope for.

chet6.7

Explorer
If you are really serious about doing suspension work check out a company called Dodge Off road. They have some really good setups that have had the crap engineered out of them. As far as the living situation I would recommend a popup truck bed camper. As long as you don't mind either tying up your bed all the time or don't mind unloading it. I have a 2002 1500 that I am planning to put one of those in.

Have you bought anything from DOR? How long did it take to receive the product?
I have read posts complaining about product delivery on Pirate and Cummins Forums for years.

KSL22

Adventurer
You are on the right track with Carli. Get the full leaf pack at the same time if you can. You didn't say but I assume you are getting the 3" and not the 6". 35" tires clear easy on the 3" which is really the largest tire you "need" for normal over landing. 37" should fit as well with massaging or front glass if that is your thing.

KSL22

Adventurer
And don't let not having the fancy gear slow you down from getting out there. A dome tent, good sleeping bag, and Colman stove will go a long way towards a good time while you figure out the rest.

PhilipE

Observer
Have you bought anything from DOR? How long did it take to receive the product?
I have read posts complaining about product delivery on Pirate and Cummins Forums for years.

No I have not. He does not build for my year of truck. The complaints against him started as soon as he hung out his shingle. The complaints have slowed down a little but still to many for a company that has been around many years. His lack of concern about contact with customers is the big issue. He will talk to you till an order is placed. Then he does not have the time to talk or explain anything. You are nothing to him after payment. You will get your stuff when he feels like it.
If you have been around CF you should recognize my user name. Drop the E off.

SilverDodge

I have a buddy at work that has a 05 2500 dodge and he is going on month number 8 waiting for parts from them. He has gotten most of the parts but the parts he is waiting for are from another vendor sold thru DOR. I have seen some of the products and wow great design and craftsmanship just need to work on the whole shopping thing. And yes a dome tent and lantern can go a long way in having fun.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
If you're going with a popup someday don't go the full leafs. Carli's minipaks work well with one.
The shop I use had Deaver add leafs to a F-250 w/Carli full leafs. Too soft and dependent on airbags.
Avoid DOR. My friend's 2nd gen control arms took 6 weeks to appear unannounced after many emails and phone calls were ignored.
Can't go wrong with Thuren or carli.

NoloJS

And don't let not having the fancy gear slow you down from getting out there. A dome tent, good sleeping bag, and Colman stove will go a long way towards a good time while you figure out the rest.

Oh I won't!! It's just the suspension to be honest. Right now it'll bruise your kidneys and there's a "popping" coming from...somewhere. I feel it in the pedals more than the steering wheel. Right now it just goes to and from work.

p nut

butter

Best comment in the thread. I used to think the requirements of overland was a rig with lift, armor, snorkel and RTT. For some, it is a must, as they do use it to their full extent. But I've seen more show queens than not.
_
Get some good tires. Grab your camping gear. Maybe a gas can. And head out.

NoloJS

You are on the right track with Carli. Get the full leaf pack at the same time if you can. You didn't say but I assume you are getting the 3" and not the 6". 35" tires clear easy on the 3" which is really the largest tire you "need" for normal over landing. 37" should fit as well with massaging or front glass if that is your thing.

I'm going for the 3" on 35s with 4:11 gears. I don't want to go to 37s mainly for the loss in braking power.

KSL22

Adventurer
Oh I won't!! It's just the suspension to be honest. Right now it'll bruise your kidneys and there's a "popping" coming from...somewhere. I feel it in the pedals more than the steering wheel. Right now it just goes to and from work.
I meant don't let not having the fancy camp gear slow you down. I would definitely get the suspension you want and I wouldn't compromise on it either. Save the money and get the kit you really want. If you are anything like me, you will be upset you settled.
I would get a lot of feed back through my old steering box on sharp bumps that made my shocks feel like they weren't dampening correctly. Also ball joints could give you some funny feedback to the chassis. Actually... a lot of things in the front end cold be causing what you are feeling in the pedals :).

chet6.7

Explorer

The Dodge front end can/will cause problems.
I have read on CF the procedure for finding the popping sound,but I can't remember it.Hopefully someone will post some diagnostic tips. It may be the track bar,can you have someone look at the front end as you turn the wheels from side to side.Cummins forum and the TDR can be good resources.

Have fun in your truck.

Welcome

Welcome NoloJS

You came to the right place.

There are more opinions, ideas and good advice on this site then you would need to build a million trucks.

Some users concentrate on achieveing the perfect expo look, others are all about hard core off road utility and still other achieve both.

Heres the starting point for all my serious builds.
1) Find a hill where you can roll a similar truck at least 5 revolutions.
2) Strap yourself in good and tight.
3) Roll that truck off that hill.
4) Now, build your truck based on the information you just collected.

This simple experiment will perfectly define the parameters of your build.

Most people rely on the assumption of invincibility when deciding what/ how to modify their trucks.
Think about a flight simulator. Its really nothing more than a safe place to practice all the different ways you can crash.

Safety First is not just an overused motto, its paramount.

The first thing you are prolly gonna notice is that the cab will decompose. That will scare the living POOP out of you. The sound will be deafening. The glass, dirt, rocks, stuff from inside the cab will slam into your face. So how do you address this? You build a cage. Not bolt together a cage that gets shipped from China in a 3'x2' box, but a cage so intricate and complex its a PITA to climb through. Thats if you value your skull, spinal cord and the rest of the crap thats close to the steering column.

The second thing you are prolly gonna notice is the rib pain. There is just something magical about how quickly and easily your ribs will bruise and/ or break. So that means ull be interested in getting a really supportive seat.

The third thing you are prolly gonna notice is the throbbing pain across your chest from the unpadded shoulder belt. Thats a sign from God almighty that you should think about a really good 5 point harness.

Imagine you are in a blender...

Oh no, I feel ive said too much.

Anyways, welcome to the site and i look forward to following your build.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94