Meet the Trot'n Turtle - Unimog U1300L Build

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
I have a couple of quick questions about purchasing a Unimog, if I may?

But first, I just gotta say that you put a TON of time and money into that Jewel of a Unimog. Props! You and your Dad's creativity is awesome. :)

Secondly, in the time to come I am interested in buying a Unimog, so I have a couple questions:

Do you regret "upgrading" to a 1300 (i.e. are there just too many extra doodads to have to maintain when compared to a 404)?

How time consuming is maintenance on your 1300, and on Unimogs in general? Unimogs are very simple, however, with a truck as big as the 1300 (bigger everything: bigger engine, bigger tires; basically 4 axles, front and rear lockers, air brakes, etc.), there's simply more to maintain!

Would you recommend buying a 1300 to someone who doesn't like to deal with 'excessive' automotive problems? I am mechanically inclined and can fix a lot of stuff. I own a 2002 Jeep Wrangler and do all of the work on it myself. At the same time though, nothing ever really goes wrong on it. Is the 1300 very much like this as well? Or is it like any big truck, which naturally comes with more things to fix?

Would you recommend buying a 1300 in general? I want one because I have always wanted a Military Cargo truck, and buying one could double as a pickup truck; my Jeep is a little small for pulling anything or hauling anything. Having a Unimog around (which is cheaper and cooler than a used Ram 2500 or Ford F250) would be pretty useful.

Thank you! Am waiting to see what your Mog will look like completely painted, with all satin black accessories.

I wouldn't say they need any more maint over all than any other vehicle...but they can and will cost more to fix when they do need parts. The 404 and the 1300 are pretty different, the 1300 feels a lot more modern, is a lot bigger and a ton of fun. I would recommend starting with one that is in the best possible condition, a low hr well maintained unit will be less headache and $$$ in the end.

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
A sneak peek of the color matched grill fresh out of paint. More updates soon.

58B2A3F0-2232-4648-AF72-66A7916D5CE0.jpg

Hodakaguy

Nashorn101

Observer
I wouldn't say they need any more maint over all than any other vehicle...but they can and will cost more to fix when they do need parts. The 404 and the 1300 are pretty different, the 1300 feels a lot more modern, is a lot bigger and a ton of fun. I would recommend starting with one that is in the best possible condition, a low hr well maintained unit will be less headache and $$$ in the end.

Hodakaguy

Ok that answers my question! Thank you sir.

The 1300L is the later variant that comes with the turbo charger and speed axles, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Ok that answers my question! Thank you sir.

The 1300L is the later variant that comes with the turbo charger and speed axles, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are available options on a 1300l. The OM352 is the older engine and the OM366 is the newer variant. The OM366 is non turbo, the OM366A is turbo and the OM366lA is turbo and intercooled. They are available in fast or standard axles. A lot of the fire trucks and ambulances have the turbos and fast axles.

Hodakaguy

Nashorn101

Observer
Those are available options on a 1300l. The OM352 is the older engine and the OM366 is the newer variant. The OM366 is non turbo, the OM366A is turbo and the OM366lA is turbo and intercooled. They are available in fast or standard axles. A lot of the fire trucks and ambulances have the turbos and fast axles.

Hodakaguy

Good information. Thank you, sir!

An inter cooler just makes the turbocharger operate more efficiently, correct?

Nashorn101

Observer
That's a great site with a lot of really good info. It's also a good lesson on why you want to find a low Hr well cared for machine to start out with.

Hodakaguy

Yes. I just read through basically the whole site! A lot of wisdom!

It has me thinking twice about purchasing a 1300 though. Albeit, all of his repairs were due to the previous owners' negligence. Every repair he made looked complicated and expensive. I like turning wrenches, but...replacing 8 (with a total of 16 on the Mog) spider gears in the rear portal axles? Look at the size of that clutch plate? :D

For me though, where I would not be hauling around a full-weight camper on the back, I am curious as to what the maintenance would be like.

I mean, of all of the work that you have done yourself to your Mog, is it just too much? Or is it all worth it in the end? To me, it seems like it definitely would be worth it. Being able to drive one of the most unique vehicles in the world is worth a lot.

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Yes. I just read through basically the whole site! A lot of wisdom!

It has me thinking twice about purchasing a 1300 though. Albeit, all of his repairs were due to the previous owners' negligence. Every repair he made looked complicated and expensive. I like turning wrenches, but...replacing 8 (with a total of 16 on the Mog) spider gears in the rear portal axles? Look at the size of that clutch plate? :D

For me though, where I would not be hauling around a full-weight camper on the back, I am curious as to what the maintenance would be like.

I mean, of all of the work that you have done yourself to your Mog, is it just too much? Or is it all worth it in the end? To me, it seems like it definitely would be worth it. Being able to drive one of the most unique vehicles in the world is worth a lot.

It's worth it to me as I love weird and unique vehicles...but only you can determine if it's worth it for you. I'm pretty confident in my mechanical ability if something comes up, but there are a lot of unimog owners out there with a lot of trouble free miles behind them as well.

Hodakaguy

Nashorn101

Observer
It's worth it to me as I love weird and unique vehicles...but only you can determine if it's worth it for you. I'm pretty confident in my mechanical ability if something comes up, but there are a lot of unimog owners out there with a lot of trouble free miles behind them as well.

Hodakaguy

Understood! Thanks! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior