Meet the Trot'n Turtle - Unimog U1300L Build

jostein

Adventurer
Stop posting pictures before I go out and by a Mog!:)
Add me to the list of people admiring your dads TIG skills.

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Took the Mog to a local car show last weekend, it blended right in with the hot rods....barely noticeable :)

B41A2A22-AF3B-4744-9943-20AFCBA196E2.jpg

Working on the small bits before re-installing the bed.

All the small parts of the bed needed to be spiffed up before going back on the truck. These parts were all sand blasted, primed/sealed and top coated. Still have a couple parts to go.

P5180010.jpg

P5180016.jpg

While the paint is drying I decided to assemble the passenger side door. Here the vapor barrier has been re-installed along with other small bits.

P5180006.jpg

And back together. I'll be adding a newer style door pocket to this door soon. Was able to keep the original service chart :)

P5180007.jpg

Re-installed the cab tilt brackets, they were painted black originally but when we cleaned off the original paint I decided that I liked the natural plated look.

P5180011.jpg

More to come....

Hodakaguy

patoz

Expedition Leader
Haha, yeah it blends right in...with the buildings! :agree:

You're going to have a brand new truck by the time you get done with it. :smiley_drive:

Nashorn101

Observer
This is the absolute coolest Unimog build. You gotta be so excited for when it's finally finished!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Assembled the small bits back onto the bed boards...getting closer to having the bed back on the truck again.

P5190021.jpg

P5190024.jpg

P5190027.jpg

Time to change the red undercoating to black so it matches the truck. This morning we De-greased/cleaned the undercoating then coated it with Blitz Black....looks a lot better now :)

Factory red undercoating...

P5210030.jpg

And changed to black, it will dry to a flat/satin finish.

P5210033.jpg

P5210053.jpg

More to come....

Hodakaguy

Nashorn101

Observer
I think someone already suggested this, but you should put a clear plastic plaque or something similar behind the ladders. That way, your feet won't scuff up the paint!

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
I think someone already suggested this, but you should put a clear plastic plaque or something similar behind the ladders. That way, your feet won't scuff up the paint!

Yeah I haven't decided what I want to do there yet, might just use some 3M rock shield.

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Got a little work in today, was going to work on the bed but a storm rolled through and it started raining....time to do something in the shop :)

Decided it was time to install the new Stainless Exhaust...first up remove the stock unit.

P5250004.jpg

P5250005.jpg

P5250006.jpg

The unit comes with no instructions and the seller is no help, he might answer a email every few weeks and only gives general answers. The pieces are like a puzzle and it takes a bit to find the right order, I had to modify a piece to adapt to the OEM header since his supplied piece was to small. Not a bad piece of kit for the price but you need to be mechanically inclined to install it.

Here I'm figuring out where the holes in the stainless mount needs to be drilled. The pipes are not in the right order in this picture.

P5250010.jpg

Bracket getting ready to be drilled, pipes now in the right order.

P5250012.jpg

And installed. The flex joint is in a little bind still, I might go back and lower the unit just slightly.

P5250019.jpg

P5250023.jpg

The sound is great, it's quieter than the OEM exhaust and has a really cool sound when you rev it up. Overall I'm pretty happy with the unit.

Hodakaguy

patoz

Expedition Leader
Yep, I would have to lower the muffler too. Everything else is too perfect to have that little jog in the flex unit like that. That would cause me to loose sleep worrying about it! :eek:

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Working on bed paint, time to get this bed installed again soon!

The factory applied a coating of waxoil to the paint as a top coat for rust protection. While the coating worked great it's a mess and a pain in the butt to remove in preparation for paint. Lot's of scrubbing with wax/grease remover.

P5260056.jpg

P5260057.jpg

Here all the wax coating has been removed and I'm getting ready to rough up the paint a bit before applying the primer/sealer.

P5260060.jpg

P5260063.jpg

Starting to apply the primer/sealer.

P5260066.jpg

P5270027.jpg

Didn't get any pictures of the bed in full primer but I ended up coating the entire frame. Here the Blitz black top coat has been applied.

P5270030.jpg

P5270032.jpg

More to come soon.

Hodakaguy

Jostt

Adventurer
Nice Job, as usuall in you, jeje, these structure is a nice piece of engineering, is a good idea to expend some money to keep it in a good shape, I was in doubt to make my own one because my one was a little bit rusty, but after some jobs was again alive, and Im using as a base for my camper, congrats anyway for your progres

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles