Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Meet the Trot'n Turtle - Unimog U1300L Build

Quote Originally Posted by Sitec View Post
    What a great find! That truck is immaculate! Looks like you had a good run home too!! Following with interest!
    Yeah I was very impressed with the cond of the truck, it looked cleaner in person than the pictures that Andy sent me, always a good surprise!

Hodakaguy
    My Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
    In Memory of the Crewmen NV: CLICK HERE
    Adventure is out there!: CLICK HERE
    Riding Through History: CLICK HERE

This is going to be sooooooo goood!!!! That is a nice truck

Well the Mogs new shoes arrived from Expedition Imports (Thanks Scott!) We really wanted the larger tires on the Mog, to gain a few more MPH and I think the larger tires look more proportional on the 1300. Our 335 tires currently on the truck are almost brand new so if we are going to do the swap now is the time so we can sell the 335 units.

The new tires arrived this week and I've been waiting to get them installed. Yesterday I Loaded up the set of 5 new 365/80-R20 tires and headed down to a local tire shop that said they had Dynabeads (Tire balance beads) in stock, well once I got there they said they weren't actually Dynabeads but a off brand of the same thing. After doing some quick web research I decided that I didn't want to try their brand of balance beads so I started calling around looking for other options. In the end no one locally carried the Dynabeads so I decided to go with a spin balance for now and use lead stick on tape weights on the inside of the wheel (The clamp on weights won't stay on these wheels with the way the tire seat). Discount Tire said they could spin balance the wheels so I headed to the shop.

My Father and 5 new Mog tires.

In the shop.

First tire removed.

Brakes on the front looked great, pads have some life left in them but I'll have to keep an eye on them.

Good size comparison between the 335 and 365 tires. Would love to run the 395 tires but with the fast axles on the truck I wouldn't have the HP or a low enough 1st gear, 365's will have to do :-) After installing the new tire on the wheel the tech found that the tire is about an inch to big for his tire machine. At this point he could mount them all but won't be able to do the balance. I told him to go ahead and get them all mounted up and I'll have the balance checked at a later time. A lot of people never balance big tires so I'll see how they feel on the ride home.

One side down...on to the passenger side. Brakes looked the same on this side. Rotors are in good cond. The first tire took a while as he had to reset the machine up for this wheel/tire combo. The pads on the rear of the truck are getting pretty thin, I'll order a set of pads soon and get them all changed out, I like being able to stop this beast! :-)

The 22 Ton air over hydraulic jack needed an improvised lift kit to reach the axles :-)

This guy earned his money today!

Now down to the spare. With the spare removed there is a lot of access to the transmission area. In these pictures you can see the winch cable guides, shift linkage, bed/cab mounts, etc. A lot of the hoses look brand new under there and some still have the plastic on them.

Heavy factory undercoating on the cab.

I had read on the net that the 365 tire will go back into the stock spare location but only if you lower the air pressure way down. After setting the spare at 15psi we managed to cram the spare back into its home but the side walls were tight up against the underside the of the bed and the edge of the cab. I can see a ruined tire in the future leaving it this way as the cab and bed flex/wear on the side wall so we pulled the spare again and threw it in the trailer for the ride home. After looking at the mount a little closer I'll modify the stock spare bracket and drop the whole assembly down a bit to give clearance for the new tire. More to come on the bracket.

Oh yeah, that looks a lot better! My Co-Driver gave his approval :-)

The tires drove amazingly smooth for no weights, steering wheel was vibration free and cruised smoothly at 57mph (Engine has more left but will do 57mph at 2400 rpm and seems nice and happy there) at 35psi on all 4 tires. I still may try balancing with stick on weights to see how much improvement I gain. I'll head to a parking lot soon to chalk the tires and figure out the exact pressure I need to run to get full tread contact and maximum tire life. I don't want to be buying more tires any time soon so they will be babied when it comes to air pressure and rotations!

Hodakaguy
    Last edited by Hodakaguy; 06-11-2016 at 01:23 PM.
    My Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
    In Memory of the Crewmen NV: CLICK HERE
    Adventure is out there!: CLICK HERE
    Riding Through History: CLICK HERE

That is a very clean truck. Congratulations.

This looks promising - could you give a rough measurement on the width and height of the box?

Thx

Wow awesome truck

Looks fabulous! Keep posting.

A beautyful Unimog, congrats!
    Jostein
    Norway

MB Vario 815 DA
    MB GLC 350e

Quote Originally Posted by thebigblue View Post
    This looks promising - could you give a rough measurement on the width and height of the box?

Thx
    Hows about this? (Dimensions are in mm's)

RW1 Line Drawing.jpg
    -Trev
    1977 Unimog U84 "bagger"
    250GD "Wolf"

The amsoil products work really good. It made a huge difference when I had my 1300 on the transmission. Be sure to check the fuel filter in the glass bulb, cleaning that out helps a lot too.
    Chad Lancaster
    ICON Motion Pictures

Now Filming "The Southwest"
    www.thesouthwestfilm.com
    www.fb.com/thesouthwestfilm
    Instagram: http://goo.gl/6cElQF
    Snapchat: http://goo.gl/m67B6Y
    Twitter: http://goo.gl/kFBU3B

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast