Meet the Trot'n Turtle - Unimog U1300L Build

Jostt

Adventurer
Amazing any step you do, but my head is full of Ideas.....No stop and thanks to show us all you do

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
My father and I took a trip to Dayton WA this weekend to attend the All Wheels Weekend car show. It's the first time I've been to this show and it was really cool, lots of unique vehicles showed up.

We left town at 4am for the 66 mile drive to Dayton, wanted to get there nice and early to snag a good spot. Here we're rolling down the highway and watching the beautiful sunrise in the distance. The new Hella headlights are a HUGE improvement over the OEM units!

P1090653.jpg

P1090659.jpg

We stopped in Waitsburg to check temperatures on the portal boxes, trans, axles and tires...Everything looked nice and cool.

DSC00509.jpg

P1090665.jpg

Wait a minute...I didn't know I owned a tackle shop in Waitsburg LOL.

DSC00510.jpg

Nearing Dayton. Almost no traffic on the road early in the morning...love it.

DSC00506.jpg

At the show....it was a great turn out and we got to chat with a lot of great people. Fun Stuff!

P1090693.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

You can see I still need to wire the LED lighting.

IMG_0675.jpg

This poor guy hit a deer on the way to the show while cruising down the road in his 55 Ford. OUCH!

IMG_0671.jpg

This was by far my favorite car at the show. It's a 1915 American Le France fire truck that's been converted into a Speedster for the Peking to Paris race. It has it's original 900 Cubic Inch engine that develops 130hp and chain drive to the rear wheels. Hand build aluminum body. So HUGE and SOOOOOOOOOO Cool!!!! 40" tires! Lots of pics taken of this beauty!

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

P1090680.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

My father and I hanging out at the show before the public started rolling in.

IMG_0678.jpg

Getting some snacks on the way out of town

P1090697.jpg

And rolling home...Had a great time!

P1090700.jpg

We will be at Cool Desert Nights in Richland WA next weekend.

Hodakaguy

patoz

Expedition Leader
That looks like a great way to spend Father's Day with your Dad! thumbsup.gif

I love the Maltese Cross in the floorboard of the American Le France Speedster. It provides a reminder of what it once was.

Jostt

Adventurer
Very rare this car, the most amazing thing is the size, huge!!!! Funy weekend whit your dad, so nice

btburn

Observer
Applied the bed liner to the under side of the fenders tonight.

I'm using U-Pol Raptor Liner, it's a two part liner that hold up well to time and UV. Having the bed liner under the fenders helps against corrosion, chips/dings on the fenders and dampens noise from rocks hitting the fenders when going down gravel roads.
Raptor Liner

I'll be using the same product on the floors in the cab soon.

Hodakaguy

How many coats did you end up doing? I ordered the Raptor Liner kit for my trailer. Does the tape come off clean? I am worried that the tape my get stuck or tear since I'm doing 2-3 coats.

Ambulando

Just read the whole thread, a really enjoyable read.
You started with a very nice example, the work you've done on it is some of the best I've ever seen. Great attention to detail and engineering. Stunning!

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Its been a while since I've logged on, looks great, you don't muck around

Haven't done anything to the truck in a while, been out driving it quite a bit though. I still have several things to do to it, as soon as I get some time I'll start working on it again :)

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
How many coats did you end up doing? I ordered the Raptor Liner kit for my trailer. Does the tape come off clean? I am worried that the tape my get stuck or tear since I'm doing 2-3 coats.

I went with two coats on the fenders, I may do three when I spray the floor boards. The tape lines pealed nice and clean for me, I also purchased some tape with the metal wire in it that I might use on the inside to ensure a clean tear line.

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Just read the whole thread, a really enjoyable read.
You started with a very nice example, the work you've done on it is some of the best I've ever seen. Great attention to detail and engineering. Stunning!

Thanks for the kind words, It's been a fun project so far :)

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Not sure about being the belle of the ball but I am planning on attending NW Mogfestthis year :). I'm wiring the LED lighting in preparation. You going to make it?

Got the console wired with radio and switches set up, relay bank set up under the dash, power bus bar set up under the dash and the windshield and push bar lights wired.

Now to get the roof lights wired up....soon! :)

EBCC2916-7150-4905-A23A-1A4328E07749.jpg

2A127BD0-8B82-4099-9061-F1A8AC68FB52.jpg

94888C24-DBC4-416A-AA79-A647D54470B9.jpg

C8F8C504-C36B-48C8-986F-B0D3AFB9F115.jpg

Hodakaguy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online