Meet the Trot'n Turtle - Unimog U1300L Build

tbisaacs

Adventurer
After work project tonight...fabricate a rear plate holder.

Since installation of the troop bed I've been running the plate attached to the rear drivers side fender. I'll soon be fabricating some fuel can racks that will be located behind the drivers side tail light and will block the plate if installed on the fender...time to re-locate the plate.

I used a piece of thick scrap aluminum I had laying around the shop. Here the plate is marked up and ready to cut.

P6060117.jpg

Cutting out the needed shape.

P6060119.jpg

P6060121.jpg

Holes drilled and deburred, mount bent to shape.

P6060116.jpg

Tail light removed and mount locations marked out

P6060126.jpg

Holes drilled and counter sunk, the bolts need to be flush to clear the tail light assembly.

P6060128.jpg

P6060131.jpg

Test fitting the plate. This location should work out perfect, up out of the way and will be protected further by the fuel can racks once installed.

P6060134.jpg

P6060143.jpg

Temporary textured paint installed, I'll powder coat it later when I have the rear storage box done.

P6060152.jpg

Hodakaguy

Just noticed your plate. Will you be at Northwest Overland Rally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Just noticed your plate. Will you be at Northwest Overland Rally?

Not going to make it this year. I'll be at cool desert nights in Richland this month, also going to try and make Mogfest if possible.

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Few minutes in the shop tonight.

My terminal pin removal tool showed up today so I can remove the factory connectors on the windshield lights and run the wiring through the cowl.

I pre-drilled the holes in the cowl before the truck went to paint.

P6070317.jpg

Using the Pico release tool to remove the pins from the factory connector.

P6070321.jpg

Wires removed

P6070324.jpg

Sliding the rubber grommet onto the wire

P6070328.jpg

Wiring ran through the cowl and the grommet installed. Connectors re-installed on the under side of the cowl.

P6070329.jpg

P6070334.jpg

Installed the license plate, still need to reconnect the tail light wiring.

P6070338.jpg

Hodakaguy

Ramdough

Adventurer
Man..... what forethought. I love it when a plan comes together. Enjoying the work. Thanks for posting.

Matt.H

Adventurer
After work project tonight...fabricate a rear plate holder.

Since installation of the troop bed I've been running the plate attached to the rear drivers side fender. I'll soon be fabricating some fuel can racks that will be located behind the drivers side tail light and will block the plate if installed on the fender...time to re-locate the plate.

I used a piece of thick scrap aluminum I had laying around the shop. Here the plate is marked up and ready to cut.

Test fitting the plate. This location should work out perfect, up out of the way and will be protected further by the fuel can racks once installed.

P6060134.jpg

P6060143.jpg

Hodakaguy

Thank you for the continued detailed posts you share with us. They are surely appreciated by many of us.

Is their enough, or any, white-light to illuminate the license plate in that location? I can't tell what the underside of the tail lights look like.

I so wish I was living in the PNW still/again.

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Thank you for the continued detailed posts you share with us. They are surely appreciated by many of us.

Is their enough, or any, white-light to illuminate the license plate in that location? I can't tell what the underside of the tail lights look like.

I so wish I was living in the PNW still/again.

Thanks...It's been a fun build and I enjoy updating the thread.

I'll eventually add a smal LED light for the plate.

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Fenders back on the truck.....

Installed the front and rear fenders after work tonight then installed the mud flaps. One step closer to being "finished" :)

Front mud flaps and powder coated hardware.

P6080343.jpg

Pop rivets going in

P6080345.jpg

P6080350.jpg

I kept the Wackenhut rear mud flaps from its former RW1 service

P6080355.jpg

One step closer to being "finished" :)

P6080339.jpg

Hodakaguy

rlrenz

Explorer
If you're looking for a license plate light, check out Tecniq license plate lights on Amazon. Tecniq is a Michigan manufacturer of LED lighting with an excellent product line. Their emergency vehicle lighting is showing up increasingly often on fire equipment and on ambulances (No, I don't work for them, I just like their products).

frojoe

Adventurer
Thanks...It's been a fun build and I enjoy updating the thread.

I'll eventually add a smal LED light for the plate.

Hodakaguy

I look forward to seeing what you decide on for the plate lamp, as I need to find a sleek little one for my motorbike and I have a feeling you'll find a very elegant solution.

Cheers,
Joe

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
If you're looking for a license plate light, check out Tecniq license plate lights on Amazon. Tecniq is a Michigan manufacturer of LED lighting with an excellent product line. Their emergency vehicle lighting is showing up increasingly often on fire equipment and on ambulances (No, I don't work for them, I just like their products).

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check them out

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
The blank space on the Grill was just begging for a sticker :)

19142974_10208555895004367_9171440821205964689_o.jpg

Took the truck out for a drive today to warm up the oils, came back to the shop and changed oils on all 4 portal boxes. Not a ton of miles on the oil since I changed it a year ago but I will change the oil once a season to keep the portals running happy :)

Draining the portal boxes, a cut down water bottle makes an excellent funnel.

P6150361.jpg

The oil looked great in all 4 boxes, I cleaned the bowl between each box so I could check for any metal flakes etc. All good!

P6150365.jpg

Installing RedLine Syn back into the Portals

P6150364.jpg

UNIMOG Spotted out in the Wild today :)

P6150360.jpg

Hodakaguy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles