Meet the Trot'n Turtle - Unimog U1300L Build

patoz

Expedition Leader
It definitely looks better in the sunlight. Inside it had a little bit of OD green look to it, but in the sunlight it's much more of a sand color.

Like the rest of the build, it's looking great! thumbsup.gif

Vegard_S

Adventurer
I may add that later or build a center console...not sure yet.

Hodakaguy

Or, you could buy the newer doorpocket from the U4000/U5000 with integrated cup-holders. It's quite cheap directly from Mercedes and is bolt on. (Ian has it on his camper)

Koppholder Unimog.jpg

BTW: Progress looks awsome, loving the way it's coming together! :)

Sixinarow

Adventurer
Awesome, Hodaka. I'm following on Adv and here. I keep checking to see if the one site has more updates than the other, haha. I am still looking for an offroad camper truck and didn't really look at Unimogs but now I am. Thanks a lot! I even look at VK in Belgium. Think I saw yours in the Sold section.

Last edited:

Nashorn101

Observer
I have a couple of quick questions about purchasing a Unimog, if I may?

But first, I just gotta say that you put a TON of time and money into that Jewel of a Unimog. Props! You and your Dad's creativity is awesome. :)

Secondly, in the time to come I am interested in buying a Unimog, so I have a couple questions:

Do you regret "upgrading" to a 1300 (i.e. are there just too many extra doodads to have to maintain when compared to a 404)?

How time consuming is maintenance on your 1300, and on Unimogs in general? Unimogs are very simple, however, with a truck as big as the 1300 (bigger everything: bigger engine, bigger tires; basically 4 axles, front and rear lockers, air brakes, etc.), there's simply more to maintain!

Would you recommend buying a 1300 to someone who doesn't like to deal with 'excessive' automotive problems? I am mechanically inclined and can fix a lot of stuff. I own a 2002 Jeep Wrangler and do all of the work on it myself. At the same time though, nothing ever really goes wrong on it. Is the 1300 very much like this as well? Or is it like any big truck, which naturally comes with more things to fix?

Would you recommend buying a 1300 in general? I want one because I have always wanted a Military Cargo truck, and buying one could double as a pickup truck; my Jeep is a little small for pulling anything or hauling anything. Having a Unimog around (which is cheaper and cooler than a used Ram 2500 or Ford F250) would be pretty useful.

Thank you! Am waiting to see what your Mog will look like completely painted, with all satin black accessories.

Coachgeo

Explorer
I have a couple of quick questions about purchasing a Unimog, if I may?

But first, I just gotta say that you put a TON of time and money into that Jewel of a Unimog. Props! You and your Dad's creativity is awesome. :)

Secondly, in the time to come I am interested in buying a Unimog, so I have a couple questions:

Do you regret "upgrading" to a 1300 (i.e. are there just too many extra doodads to have to maintain when compared to a 404)?

How time consuming is maintenance on your 1300, and on Unimogs in general? Unimogs are very simple, however, with a truck as big as the 1300 (bigger everything: bigger engine, bigger tires; basically 4 axles, front and rear lockers, air brakes, etc.), there's simply more to maintain!

Would you recommend buying a 1300 to someone who doesn't like to deal with 'excessive' automotive problems? I am mechanically inclined and can fix a lot of stuff. I own a 2002 Jeep Wrangler and do all of the work on it myself. At the same time though, nothing ever really goes wrong on it. Is the 1300 very much like this as well? Or is it like any big truck, which naturally comes with more things to fix?

Would you recommend buying a 1300 in general? I want one because I have always wanted a Military Cargo truck, and buying one could double as a pickup truck; my Jeep is a little small for pulling anything or hauling anything. Having a Unimog around (which is cheaper and cooler than a used Ram 2500 or Ford F250) would be pretty useful.

Thank you! Am waiting to see what your Mog will look like completely painted, with all satin black accessories.
being your in TX and if your not considering long distant travel (and yes from one end of TX to the other IS LONG DISTANCE lol).... then consider an LMTV. Will cost a 1/4 of a 1300 upfront then another 1/4 to get her into your goal of.... not much "repair" only maintenence. Top speed "cruising average" speed 50mph unless swap to Caimen axle upgrade then your looking at 60ish.

BUT keep in mind...... of bed height on Mog or any other military truck. It's not so easy to get things up and down from a bed that is 4.5 to 5 feet off the ground.

Nashorn101

Observer
being your in TX and if your not considering long distant travel (and yes from one end of TX to the other IS LONG DISTANCE lol).... then consider an LMTV. Will cost a 1/4 of a 1300 upfront then another 1/4 to get her into your goal of.... not much "repair" only maintenence. Top speed "cruising average" speed 50mph unless swap to Caimen axle upgrade then your looking at 60ish.

BUT keep in mind...... of bed height on Mog or any other military truck. It's not so easy to get things up and down from a bed that is 4.5 to 5 feet off the ground.

Thank you! I have considered that. However, what I truly want is a Unimog.

Also, the 1300 is a little smaller than a Stevenson, which suits my needs better.
And yes I have thought about the height of the bed :D it's a little high, but to me it's worth it because it's WAY cooler than any pickup truck. I have yet to see a single Unimog driving around town here.

Prices of 1300's, here in the states, seem to hover around $20,000 USD. Which really isn't a lot.

Have you owned an American cargo truck? I know nothing about them. But to me, they seem like they have wayyyyy more problems than a Mercedes manufactured Unimog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Awesome, Hodaka. I'm following on Adv and here. I keep checking to see if the one site has more updates than the other, haha. I am still looking for an offroad camper truck and didn't really look at Unimogs but now I am. Thanks a lot! I even look at VK in Belgium. Think I saw yours in the Sold section.

Come to the dark side lol. Unimog's are a lot of fun for sure! Yeah my truck is in the sold section on the VK Cars web site :)

Hodakaguy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior