Three months in the NW with 2 dogs and a cat in a van

Luckytibbs

LuckyTibbs
Click and clack. Crunch. Squeak. Clunk. Repeat. But only sometimes! Mechanic number four thinks it's the rear ujoint. At least im at Long Beach WA! The best waiting room ever😂
Speak. I just got into Del Norte and cell service. Dogs and I doing great. Coyotes scared my little chi but she is good now. Traveling slow. Hope you get the issues resolved.

Luckytibbs

LuckyTibbs
Speak. I just got into Del Norte and cell service. Dogs and I doing great. Coyotes scared my little chi but she is good now. Traveling slow. Hope you get the issues resolved.

I meant Sleam!!! Damn autocorrect on these little phones. I'll post some pics if I learn how

Luckytibbs

LuckyTibbs
image.jpg
How did you post photos? I still don't know how.

I don't know either! Just pushed some buttons. I'm in Salida Colorado. Heading to Silverton. Where are you now? I've got some great camp sites tagged and your van would do it all fine.

Last edited:

Sleam

Explorer
Travel by numbers

So, apologies for not keeping up. I lost my words, my inclination to write or even talk to anyone when I was on the road. After a month on my own, I lost the habit, you know? Stayed in the hills and on the beaches. I took some notes and lots of photographs. Before I write up the notes and details, here is a summary for you.

We’re a practical bunch. We want facts and figures. None of this anecdotal crap. Just the facts. Well, some of my friends are scientists, statisticians, more focused on the details than the stories. Me, I’m more of an impressionist than realist, but this is for the rest of you. And no, I didn’t total and summarize any of it. That’s your job. I was too busy dipping fingers and toes in mountain lakes and paddling on ocean beaches.

Numbers of

$ spent on mechanics: 716
times I thought I’d lost the cat: 8
scars on my left hand from grabbing cat and throwing him back in the van: 5
times Harold had diarrhea in the van: 2
miles driven on Interstates: 346
times I spilt coffee in the van: 2
weeks on the road: 10
motel cost: 76
campground fees: 236
times I stepped in diarrhea in the van: 2
cold plunges in alpine lakes: 6
nights spent in a motel: 1
books read: 47
$ spent on laundry: 54
walks per day with dogs and cat: 3
walks per day with just the dogs: 3
times I bought gas: 26
miles driven: 7843
times I was scared: 1
$ spent on firewood: 15
$ in the weekly envelope (budget): 150
times I overspent my budget: 6
weeks spent on the Oregon Coast: 3
nights slept on the beach: 5
times Rosie puked in the van: 2
Gallons of gas used: 409
$ spent on beer: too much
$ spent on the road trip: enough

[video]https://youtu.be/g2JQ-ahYXHc[/video] for a slideshow/ teaser!

http://www.dirtroadsanddogs.com Photos and other stories.

I'd do it again.

jim65wagon

Very nice video. I'm jealous of your travels and your traveling cat. Thank you very much for sharing your travels

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

dar395

Adventurer
There it is simple!

After all of the puking, diarrhea, maniac majesty Kitty attacks your "Travel by Numbers" was an inspirational view in what can be done by the simple human power we all have in our own little pea picking heads! I raise my voice to give you "Cool Beans and Mashed Potato's" as a toast of gratitude. I have enjoyed your journey.:victory:

Sleam

Explorer
Thanks friends! I'll post more soon, there was so much to absorb. I've been back two weeks and got stir crazy on Sunday so I loaded up Motel Vera and drove into the Jemez NF. Much better now!

Sleam

Explorer
Finally An Update - and a new book!

So so sorry my friends. It's been a crazy summer! I've been on the road on and off since early May, heading from NM, through Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Washington, Idaho, Oregon and back to Wyoming and home for a couple of months. I've been writing, keeping track of the ups and downs, the history and culture of the little towns along the way. It just became too much to post on here as well but I appreciated the notes from folks and everyone I met at Expo and NWOR. Great times. Great conversations.
I came back to New Mexico as I'd taken a sabbatical from work. I did the right thing, in that I went back as promised. After two days at work, I handed in my notice. The last two months I've been home, writing, editing and fixing up my home. I'm about to head out again, this time to the South, never been. I'm a little nervous as politically it's not my world but I'll keep my mouth shut!
I have also been writing up the notes before I leave again. I've rented out my home in NM for four months so I'll be around and about if anyone has suggestions? I'm open. No plans as such. I just published the first of a series of travelogues from these trips. This is the link for the stories: http://a.co/7V9aotZ
For the photos, click on the Instagram profile for me and you'll catch up on the visuals. Sorry it's not direct but I tried to keep it simple and not make it a chore for myself. https://www.instagram.com/dirtroadsanddogs

Thanks again for all the support over the last couple of years. Stay in touch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94