campers for 5'5" full size 1/2 ton trucks?

Gunslinger1

Observer
Eureka Campers

Picked up the Eureka camper this week end, only sit the Frontier down about two inches and we run the interstate back at 70 MPH drove really good. We have two beds and a AC cant stand up in it but for its size it makes a great little camper. No cab over just a bunk on each side. I have no suspension up grades to the truck and dont need any its a six foot camper.

Cave_Campers

Supporting Sponsor
a new truck camper for 1/2 tons (750 lbs, <$10k)

When you look at the sticker at what the payload is on your specific truck and consider weight of gear and people you'll find a very limited market for what can fit into a 1/2 truck. Pulling anything like a boat or trailer gets really questionable real quick.

Cave Campers is a new entrant in the market with a very durable hard wall truck camper that only weighs $750 lbs and costs under $10k. We'd love to get your feedback.

Cave Collage.jpg

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
I think nobody else mentioned it, but I'm assuming that with a 5.5' bed that you have a supercrew. The problem with that is thathe even many short bed campers won't fit in your truck. If you look at your tailgate, it sits in quite a bit from the edge of the bed. If I remember correctly (I had a 2002 supercrew) it isn't rated for any slide in campers because they are too wide to fit in the truck. I'm sure that you could custom make something that will fit and still be light enough not to overload the truck.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Check out the new thread just above this one on the Lance 650. http://truckcamperadventure.com/2016/12/hellwig-lance-ultimate-adventure-rig/
Oh, and give me the willys, here it is: My first of 14 4WD's. 1949 Willys Ute Wagon with a chevy 265 V8, Dana 25 and 41 axles, Studebaker 33% Overdrive, 5.38's, great big 7.00x16 truck tires; soon to have my first SOA. This is May, 1965 in the Owens Valley. I'm putting higher altitude jets in the quadrajet carb before we head to high elevation.

Here is the last iteration before it died in July of 1969. With a new Big Bad Yellow paint job with SOA and 11.00 farm implement sand tires. Remember it was only 20 years old at this time.

Last edited:

Dusty-NZ

Observer
I think doing a custom build for the smaller trucks is best , that way you can better control the weight .

Every thing jefe says above is relevant . I get away with my 610kg camper as I am by myself in it. Plenty of mods under the truck to stabilize it too.

Attachments

• ashburton wheat and wheels.jpg
    ashburton wheat and wheels.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 18

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles