Carbon60's HDJ81

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Did a careful fuel consumption test over the weekend:

- The rig weighs 3010 kg or 6636 lbs
- Drove a mixed route, between 80 and 100 kph (50 to 60 mph)
- 211.5 km or 131.42 miles, calculated by GPS (my trip meter needs to have 5.5% added to be accurate)
- used 27.432 liters or 7.247 US gallons of diesel
- Results in 12.97 l/100km or 18.14 mpg

I think I am pretty happy with that.

It means I should have decent range!

A.

Good results! I've been doing a lot of playing with mine and tracking MPG as well. On my first tank, I got 18.7 MPG... just driving it. Since then I've been tuning and flooring it a lot to see how it reacts to my boost increase and whatnot. So, second tank was 15.5 MPG (was flooring it for almost the whole tank adjusting the transmission kickdown). And my 3rd tank was 16.7 MPG. (Flooring it less but turning the boost up, then down and probably down some more to ~23 psi). Once I get my boost compensator tuned, I'm hoping for a solid 19MPG in my daily commute. For a heavy rig on 35s, I think that's pretty good!

carbon60

Explorer
Once I get my boost compensator tuned, I'm hoping for a solid 19MPG in my daily commute. For a heavy rig on 35s, I think that's pretty good!

That would be awesome. Are you writing up your tuning experience somewhere? I haven't touched mine, yet.

A.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
That would be awesome. Are you writing up your tuning experience somewhere? I haven't touched mine, yet.

A.

Yeah, I'm recording my build on Ih8mud. (you already found me there!) Maybe I should start a build over here too.

carbon60

Explorer
Yeah, I'm recording my build on Ih8mud. (you already found me there!) Maybe I should start a build over here too.

Yeah, I've been running two threads: base vehicle on 'mud and fit-up on ExPo. Sort of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Yeah, I've been running two threads: base vehicle on 'mud and fit-up on ExPo. Sort of.

That makes sense. Hey... quick question for you... Have you ever explored up in the uninhabited north of Quebec? I got a bug to go up the east side of Hudson Bay as far as I can go...

carbon60

Explorer
That makes sense. Hey... quick question for you... Have you ever explored up in the uninhabited north of Quebec? I got a bug to go up the east side of Hudson Bay as far as I can go...

Lots. I've been "as far as you can go" on the West side of the province, which is the tip of Longue Point Road. I have not done the Trans-Taïga.

01ab052dd0fa099be9497d17649f9956.jpg

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
So, does the longue Point Road branch off from the James Bay Road? I can't seem to find it on Google maps... I need to pick your brain about that area...

carbon60

Explorer
I finally got a storage system built and mostly installed, plus some floodlights in the hatch:

image.jpg

The lights have turned out really well, despite being from Princess Auto.

Lots more organizational work to be done, though.

A.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Looking good!!

I am thinking about picking up an early 90's HJ80 as well. I am coming across many down here in Latin America in nice condition both with the 1HDT and also with the 1HZ. Most with the 5spd but a few autos as well and even a few with diff locks. I had a really nice 80 at one time and I miss it.

Cheers

carbon60

Explorer
Looking good!!

I am thinking about picking up an early 90's HJ80 as well. I am coming across many down here in Latin America in nice condition both with the 1HDT and also with the 1HZ. Most with the 5spd but a few autos as well and even a few with diff locks. I had a really nice 80 at one time and I miss it.

Cheers

Which countries have the most 80s?

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Radios look good. And, I just noticed those pockets for books and stuff above your visors! Those are really cool. Is that another stock option for the HDJ vs the FZJ?

carbon60

Explorer
Radios look good. And, I just noticed those pockets for books and stuff above your visors! Those are really cool. Is that another stock option for the HDJ vs the FZJ?

It is actually an aftermarket set of plastics that I purchased, used, from @akella on 'mud. I don't believe they are available. I'm 5'11+" and it is great–my friend is 6'3", and finds that it obscures his sight lines.

carbon60

Explorer
Bought a pair of Cibié Super Oscar LED auxiliary lights:

image.jpg

Now to wire them up and get some nighttime poser shots.

I also purchased a set of Depo replacement headlight assemblies, so my lights will point in the right direction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles