Carbon60's HDJ81

carbon60

Explorer
I just purchased a 1994 HDJ81 with 188K on the odometer and no lockers (or rust!).
image.jpg
image.jpg

I started a thread on Mud, where I'll keep most of the truck-related technical stuff. I'll be putting the fit-up stuff in here.

The current todo list looks like this:
  • Do all the important technical stuff I describe on Mud
  • Install ARB bumper
  • Install winch, relocating the control head while I'm at it
  • Install CB and VHF transceivers, control heads, antennas, and speakers
  • Aux driving lights
  • Install ARB slider steps
  • Build a storage system
  • Source some nice seat covers
  • Install USB power system
  • Tablet mount
  • Phone mount, unless I leave it where it is
  • Get a seat-back organizer
  • ?

Must be more…

djtc

Adventurer
No way that's the truck I was trying to buy from the previous dealer that had it but he kept on refusing . The new dealer had listed it at a much higher price. You stole my dream local truck:( enjoy

P.s I think the front axle needed new seals from what I remember. Awesome truck you got there.

carbon60

Explorer
No way that's the truck I was trying to buy from the previous dealer that had it but he kept on refusing . The new dealer had listed it at a much higher price. You stole my dream local truck:( enjoy

P.s I think the front axle needed new seals from what I remember. Awesome truck you got there.

Sorry! It drives very nice…

Why did you think the front seals needed to be done?

In order news, I got the bumpers swapped between my old and new rigs:

image.jpg

Next is the wiring for the winch.

carbon60

Explorer
When do the OME coils go in? That should be next on the list! Congrats on the new ride!

I weighed the truck stock and empty, and I intend to weigh it again at its full "travel" weight. Then purchase appropriate OME coils.

After that, I will move my Nitrocharger Sport struts, steering damper, and castor corrected control arms from my FZJ80.

A.

carbon60

Explorer
Fabricated a small bracket to mount the winch controller (a Warrior Winch C8000EWX) over the drum, off set so as to be able to see it. Made all new connection cables, and connected to the battery through a Blue Sea switch. Why do such projects always take so friggin long?!

Also replaced the positive and negative terminals on the right/passenger side battery with military style terminals so I could fit everything.

carbon60

Explorer
Winch is Now Functional

Completed and tested the winch install:

image.jpg

image.png
image.png

A friend of mine has a nice hydraulic crimper which makes beautiful cables. Man, does it still take forever to get them all done!

carbon60

Explorer
Sanded, primed, and painted my ARB steps:

image.jpg

Tonight I will install them, having found the ARB install notes. I bought there used, and the PO of the steps had not used silicon under the checker plate, so they were noisy. Also purchased some stainless hardware, so hopefully they will look decent for longer than they did on my other truck.

carbon60

Explorer
Got my steps installed. Some interference with the plastic transmission skid plate that will require notching the skid itself.

Next step is wiring fridge socket, a bunch of USB ports, couple of radios.

A.

carbon60

Explorer
Last night:

- Ran a 6 AWG positive from the right side battery to the storage cubby in the right side of the cargo area; used a spare "nipple" in the firewall and the door jam.

image.jpg

- Terminated to a Blue Sea fuse panel/sub panel;

image.jpg

- Fused with a MAXI in-line fuse holder, at the battery:

image.jpg

- Ran a few 10 AWG positives from the panel under the hatch carpet moulding, in order to power a Blue Sea 1045 "Fast Charge - Dual USB Charger Socket Mount", cigarette lighter plug, and Powerlet socket for the fridge;

image.jpg
image.jpg

- While we were at it, ran a couple of 10 AWG back to the front of the cab, along with a couple of small gauge signal wires, for future purposes;

carbon60

Explorer
Did a careful fuel consumption test over the weekend:

- The rig weighs 3010 kg or 6636 lbs
- Drove a mixed route, between 80 and 100 kph (50 to 60 mph)
- 211.5 km or 131.42 miles, calculated by GPS (my trip meter needs to have 5.5% added to be accurate)
- used 27.432 liters or 7.247 US gallons of diesel
- Results in 12.97 l/100km or 18.14 mpg

I think I am pretty happy with that.

It means I should have decent range!

A.

carbon60

Explorer
Finally getting around to doing something about the big pile of stuff I carry in the truck.

198a998428b86e01e00c479eae1944a2.jpg
5a7ec220b77bdce916dd939952d8c3a8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles