"Contractor" rack for Wranglers?

Ultralite

Adventurer
For US domestic pick up trucks you can get a contractor rack that extends from the roof line to over the hood and attaches around the front bumper. (Or maybe it just extends over the hood, but it seems like I've seen both)

Does such a thing exist for Wranglers?

MOguy

Explorer
I made my own that sticks out in front of the cab. I wanted to have a rack where I could still take my top on and off without having to mess with the rack.

0316183349_01_zpsomuolg0o.jpg

0316183542_zps6t90uxl5.jpg

tarditi

Explorer
I've only seen racks that go over the top - never anything extending past the A pillar, and while many of them allow for the top to be folded down, very few allow a JKU top to be in sunrider mode.

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
I've only seen racks that go over the top - never anything extending past the A pillar, and while many of them allow for the top to be folded down, very few allow a JKU top to be in sunrider mode.

It also depends on the soft top you're running. My OffRoadHeros top rolls forward from over the sound bar permitting use of any exo-style rack without having to disturb it. With regards to the OP's question, the closest thing I have seen is a front hitch mount field goal type attachment.

DTA944_v3_1000.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The closest thing I have seen is a front hitch mount field goal type attachment.

DTA944_v3_1000.jpg

I think you will be going the custom route if you want a full back to front rack. I'm going to make something similar to what Yar posted for my CJ to carry my 14' Jonboat.

MOguy

Explorer
I have a shorter version for the back of my jeep similar to what Yarjammer shows in his pic. I added a receiver up higher in the back of my jeep so I can use it or my rack and still be able to open my tail gate.
af261a3c-11b3-48da-8ba5-71109698260a_zps52aad8e4.jpg

Ultralite

Adventurer
MOguy, innovative solution and I always like to see homebuilt stuff.

Well, too bad something like doesn't exist. I could see someone traveling with a family that wants to keep the back seats in use. And a full rack extending over the hood could give you some more storage.

Plus, I recently test drove a Class C motor home with the over cab bed extending out over the hood. It was midday. It was nice how that overhang shaded the windshield. I could drive without my sunglasses. On long drives I like to take the glasses off for a while sometimes....

MOguy

Explorer
20160607_211459.jpg
This is the piece I but into the rear upper reciever I added. Sorry it's upside down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne