Slee Part time 4wd kit for LC100/LX470

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
^^FYI, Toyota did offer part time 4wd w/ selectable hubs on IFS 100's in some markets.

Correct, and those part are available to convert a US truck albeit expensive. That said there are work around in the works :D

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Kurt, as case in point, did you ever consider doing a part time kit in the Death Star?

Great question. Yes, in fact I still am despite it being a short-timer vehicle. If there were on off-the-shelf HD AISIN hub available for it, they would likely have already been installed. We are getting more any more interest from our customer base as 100's get into price ranges where buyers are dedicating them to harder life on the trails, no different than the what we saw with the 80 Series. Slee used to be the only vendor in the US importing a turn-key part-time solution for the 80 and now there are 3-4 major players, the market has asked.

Fwiw the 80 part-time kit leaves the ABS non-functioning as the tone ring is attached to the birf, if it doesn't spin, no-ABS unless you retrofit a tone ring kit to the hub. However the 100 gets it's tone from the hub rather than the CV so it's a more seamless install outside of the lack of a good hub offering.

soreneagle

I did the Part-Time 4WD kit from Lokka and have a couple videos of it

I did this mod for a few reasons. The better MPG is not going to pay for itself but I'm hoping there will be reduced wear on the drive train, steering, and tires. Also, I've lifted the front about 1.5" over stock so the front drive system is "out of factory spec" for drive component angles. That may accelerate wear at hwy speeds. Plusif something goes in the front diff or something I should still be able to limp home or off the trial. Finally, I'm in California so snow isn't a problem unless I go looking for it in the winter.

The First clip is for the hubs
[video]https://youtu.be/6uPe87XX2JI[/video]

Second clip is for the T-case
[video]https://youtu.be/7c9yfnTUm04[/video]

Awkragt

Adventurer
So it just replaces the center diff gears in the T-case with a spool? I guess I'm missing how this uncouples the front drive shaft.

ExPo4Runner

Land Cruiser Fanatic
So it just replaces the center diff gears in the T-case with a spool? I guess I'm missing how this uncouples the front drive shaft.
So the new carrier goes in the transfer case that only connects power to the front drive line when the center diff lock button is pressed. New selectable hubs go at the wheels. So to review: when the selectable hubs are switched off and the center diff lock are switched off, no parts in-between move. When both are turned on, the parts in between move and power is transferred to the front wheels.

Awkragt

Adventurer
Nope, it's a full time AWD/4WD vehicle. In normal operation the front is never uncoupled. The center differential splits power between the front the rear, or really just turns whichever is easier. For example, with either front or rear drive shaft removed the vehicle won't move, the unoccupied t-case flange just spins 2x. If you then lock the center diff, both outputs move together and the vehicle moves again. How does replacing the differential with a spool also somehow uncouple the front from the rear?

Awkragt

Adventurer
Ahh, figured it out. I was getting confused because I was thinking its like a full spool you'd find in an axle differential. Power both ways, locked all the time.

This kit is really like a half spool. The front half of the carrier that's reused transmits no rotation forward because the gears are removed. The new rear half spool only sends power to the back. Front coupling is only engaged via diff lock.

[video]https://youtu.be/DSJvYn_zxLE?t=16m15s[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior