Mounting a RTT to a standard model truck cap

TheFutur

Adventurer
I know it's been asked here before but i wanted some opinions.

I was thinking about moving my RTT (130 pounds) from my trailer to my truck cap for a trip so I can tow a 14 foot boat for this trip.

The cap is a leer cap and is rated for 150 pound dynamic load. I have two cross bars rated at 150 pounds as well. As mentioned before the tent is 130 pounds. Im not worried much about static loads as my girlfriend and I combined are under 300 pounds.

Does anyone think a 1700 kilometer round trip would be doable with my RTT on the cap? I dont want to wreck either the tent or the cap but I'd prefer to not have to leave the tent or the boat at home haha

tarditi

Explorer
You + Girlfriend + RTT + anything in tent is the static load with the vehicle at rest.

That said, you can probably reinforce the cross bars without too much trouble.

keenz

I've got my tent on a. Leer 100r cap with Yakima rail system roof rack (after market)

It holds the tent and 430lbs of people with no issues at all.

ZMagic97

Explorer
I know it's been asked here before but i wanted some opinions.

I was thinking about moving my RTT (130 pounds) from my trailer to my truck cap for a trip so I can tow a 14 foot boat for this trip.

The cap is a leer cap and is rated for 150 pound dynamic load. I have two cross bars rated at 150 pounds as well. As mentioned before the tent is 130 pounds. Im not worried much about static loads as my girlfriend and I combined are under 300 pounds.

Does anyone think a 1700 kilometer round trip would be doable with my RTT on the cap? I dont want to wreck either the tent or the cap but I'd prefer to not have to leave the tent or the boat at home haha

As long as you are not violently shaking around too often/at all I thought you should be ok.

Flyer69

Observer
I've got my JB Evasion Evo mounted on an ARE Z-series cap and have had zero issues. It's rock solid. I would definitely recommend upgrading, as I did, to a Front Runner rack system. Their track and mounting hardware is way beefier than yakima's. There's a significant amount of lift stress on the rack attachment points at 70mph.

baletag

I have a CVT Mt. McKinley mounted on a Leer cap for an F-150. I drove it from NC to Alaska and back and slept every night in it with my father-in-law who weighs around 250 (I guess). I'm around 190. We also have made several trips with my wide and I and three kids (ages 6, 8, and 10) and never had a problem. I should add though that I have three load bars instead of two. I thought that would be best for the tent and the cap given the size of the Mt. McKinley.

IMG_2766.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg

MDH33

Observer
I had my ARB RTT mounted on our Tundra with an ARE Z series topper and yakima rack for a few trips. It did flex a tiny bit when in use, but no damage. The only issue was that the yakima towers did loosen enough that on one occasion the whole assembly (towers, bars, tent) slid all the way forward on the rails when braking. We didn't use the Tundra/tent combo for offroad or rough use, just campground camping. I usually have it on my FJ60 for longer trips, trails, etc.

TheFutur

Adventurer
Well figure id post an update.

The trip went well but i was a bit nervous with the setup so i found a ladder rack used for a great price.

4YLfu5P.webp

YSLQDVq.jpg

y8q3cXo.jpg

ZIg6nmw.jpg

gotme1

Observer
Ugh I just now seen the set up.....I LIKE IT! I was thinking about using contractor rack and RTT like that. Great job!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

TheFutur

Adventurer
Ugh I just now seen the set up.....I LIKE IT! I was thinking about using contractor rack and RTT like that. Great job!

Id highly recommend it over standard cross bars. Very happy with the setup, hasn't given me any issues yet!

gotme1

Observer
So I decided to stick with my cap and just to buy rack. Going to do a few mods and get it ready for RTT.

860afc1fe1564a3eaf634b9df62178a4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior