AmboLander

cjken

Explorer
I may need to clean my EBP tube and sensor. Mine seems to stay closed longer than it should.
Any reason not to just delete the EBPV?
I have a second turbo and associated parts that I can experiment on.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Lots of folks simply delete it.

There are even non-EBPV pedistals available as well.

Such a delete really simplifies things. One less thing to get hung up and fail, and a few less potential oil leak points

Personally, I love having the EBPV.

It makes for much faster warm ups in cold country.

And wired to a switch on the dash, makes for a decent exhaust brake.

I rarely have to use the brakes on long downhill grades. Just flip the switch.

djbonsu

Adventurer
Great progress on the engine and exterior mods! Ill second the notion of checking fuel pressure. With that many miles, you may want to consider re-seal the fuel bowl with all new o-rings and while you are at it, install a fuel pressure gage at the fuel outlet port at passenger side rear of the fuel bowl. An FRX from riffraff diesel is a nice regulated return system that comes with different springs to set your fuel pressure and works with the stock fuel bowl as well. Cheap and not too difficult to install provided you make some room in there.

Re: the EBPV system, I'd say just gut/delete it. Mine was leaking at 270k and i started to get a new pedestal with the delete but due to time constraints I just gutted the mechanism and rod and tapped the rod hole and threaded a bolt in, then sealed it with hi-temp RTV. No more leaks! Wrapping those up-pipes will definitely help with noise in addition to adding sound deadener to the doghouse. The plastic airbox atop the motor in nothing more than a resonator which helps with intake drone at certain RPMs. I removed mine to make more more in the engine bay to work and hoped for more airflow as well BUT you will get some intake drone as a result. Nothing crazy but it can be audibly annoying initially. I've gotten used to it.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
X2 on rebuilding Fuel bowl... Bought O-ring kit from Dieselorings.com for $7 and then it was just a bunch of time and a few bits of fuel line. No more leaks and better performance. There was a small brass filter on one of the fittings attached to the fuel bowl that was clogged solid.

gtbensley

Explorer
I removed my resonator on the air box as well. It lasted a total of two days before I went and put it back on. It really does make it much more quite although the added room is pretty nice to have.

djbonsu

Adventurer
I removed my resonator on the air box as well. It lasted a total of two days before I went and put it back on. It really does make it much more quite although the added room is pretty nice to have.

Still contemplating putting mine back in. The question now is HOW will it go in without removing anything...

FDM2012

Adventurer
Well, after picking up a turbo clamp from Ford yesterday ($28) she's running again!

Somehow my running lights got turned on, and it drained the batteries, so I jumped it and it fired right up.
Everything looks solid.
No apparent intake or exhaust leaks, no misses, gauges are all working, and the Wicked Wheel 2 is whistling nice and loud. I let it warm for a few minutes and then purposely drove it before the engine was all the way up to temp. It still seemed a little sluggish at low speeds, but once up to temp, it was good and strong. I think what I am experiencing is just the EBPV doing its thing. I am on the fence of deleting it....... Tomorrow morning, I will go out and unplug it, and go for a drive to compare.
If I do delete it, I will buy the manifold.
https://www.dp-tuner.com/ford-power...-upgrades-1/1999-5-2003-non-ebv-pedestal.html

Now, I am digging into the whole tuner thing. The TS 6 position knob seems simple and inviting at only $150, but I REALLY want the data and troubleshooting that the LiveWire, Edge, or the Triple Dog have. I will most likely end up with the Livewire....

Before I put the doghouse on:
IMG_20160705_195155.jpg

I will soon go back to LKQ to scavenge a console out of a conversion van, but here is what is looks like now with the black doghouse, pillars, and lower dash covers. I like it much better.

IMG_20160706_110236.jpg

IMG_20160706_110257.jpg

Next up, is the tuner, remove lower white pin stripes and put on the 12'' black one, paint rims black, remove diamond plate steps, put
on Bully Steps, and probably paint the front bumper and all remaining diamond plate on the box (Black).

We are running around 95 degrees here in Tampa now, with a 115-120 heat index, and is muggy as hell, so my motivation only goes so far......

gtbensley

Explorer
I was able to sneak it in with the dog house just pulled back a little bit. Removed the front air box to tighten it. Was pretty easy.

FDM2012

Adventurer
Got my fender vents in today and put them on. They will actually pressurize that inner fender cavity, so hopefully the intake
hoses I ran will get pressurized a little bit in getting some cooler air to the intake.

And, I painted the driver side rims flat black. Better than those stupid chrome hub caps..........

IMG_20160707_193258.jpg

IMG_20160707_193916.jpg

IMG_20160707_194733.jpg

tgreening

Expedition Leader
What did you do with the old marker lights you replaced with the vents? The ones you modded with the little grills. Dibs iffen you wanna sell!

FDM2012

Adventurer
It is running significantly better. Still a bit of a dog until warmed up, (even in 90 degree weather here in Tampa), but still a little hesitant and weak until you get it up to about 20mph. it kind of reminds me of driving a car in the 80's with a carburetor that was acting up. #Quadrabog

I know it is breathing better with my intake mod, and exhaust is obviously now up to par with the 4'' Diamond Eye. So I am back to fuel. I have seen some references to a screen return line screen in the fuel filter housing that gets plugged up. Not sure if mine has it, or not? Was it a pre 99.5 thing? I have already removed the screens in the tank and the filter valve thingy,,,, As well as putting in the stiffer regulator spring, and drilled our the fuel rail port plug thingys,,,,,

I have a fuel pressure gauge on the way, and that will be my next parameter to check. I have also changed the cam sensor, EBPV sensor, and cleaned out the pipe. I have a ICP sensor to put on, but mine shows no oil in the top. I wonder if it would make a difference? It doesn't miss and doesn't smoke, so I am hopeful that it isn't the harness or injectors....???

I sold my 2002 4x4 CC DRW Shortbed to buy this rig, so I am a little familiar with how it should sound and act.

IMG_20160425_080825.jpg

I know this is a heavier rig and it isn't going to just jump off of the line, but there is just a little something going on. I might not figure it out until I put a quality tuner on it and find some reading out of whack.... I did drive it around for a while yesterday while running errands, and it did fine. I will remain optimistic!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
My 12/96 has the screen... Don't know which years. It's apart of fuel bowl and likely all will have.

Mine is 8500 lbs, with 4.11s it'll beat almost any other vehicle on the road accross the intersection. Not sluggish. Met another local owner who said his Ambo would beat his Dually pickup w/500 hp gasser Across the intersection every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles