AmboLander

patoz

Expedition Leader
Pretty close as far as sheltering in place. If it comes directly at us as a Cat 4 or 5 and I have to leave, then it's going to be a mad scramble. I am 5 miles inland and 30' above sea level, so I have never had to leave before.

I'll shoot my number in a PM...

Last edited:

cjken

Explorer
Best of luck Pat, Eric, and everyone else on here that will feel the effects of Irma.
I'm in NY but have a place in Springhill a bit north of Tampa. Earlier I the week it looked like it would be more of an east coast event.

FDM2012

Adventurer
Best of luck Pat, Eric, and everyone else on here that will feel the effects of Irma.
I'm in NY but have a place in Springhill a bit north of Tampa. Earlier I the week it looked like it would be more of an east coast event.

Thx, Ken.

Yeah, depending where your house is, I think it will see some of her wrath. Ugh.....

Let me know if I can help afterwards....

patoz

Expedition Leader
Ken, unless it deviates from it projected path it looks like it's just going to miss me, but Eric is directly in it's path in Tampa.

Eric, post up and let us know you're OK after it gets there, if you can.

FDM2012

Adventurer
Any storm updates from down there??
Hope everyone is well!

Well, we fared well in my neighborhood. Lots of small limbs, and just 2 pieces of pool screen to repair at my house. The power only blinked a few times. Never lost it. I believe our highest wind gusts here were probably only 70-80mph.
The track "predictions" went from skirting the East coast, to right over the bay, to right over me, then actually passed about 30 miles to the East of us.
It bobbed and weaved kind of like a CrAcK adDiCt riding a tricycle that is missing a rear wheel. It just goes to show that our SCIENCE, is only so good when it comes to predicting Mother Nature.
While a LOT of Floridaians have lost a lot, Tampa Bay really dodged the big one, THIS TIME.
Taking notes for next time.......

FDM2012

Adventurer
Since I bought this rig last summer, I have been chasing down a low speed/RPM bucking problem, and an
occasional miss at idle. Normally, when the oil got up past 180 degrees, it would subside, for the most part.
But, as of late, it seems to have gotten worse. And unplugging the IPS never made a difference.

I have rebuilt the fuel bowl, replaced IPS, replaced the CPS, replaced the EBPS (and cleaned the tube), (after getting low meter readings)
replaced the drivers side UVCH, switched to synthetic oil with ArchOil anti foam additive, replaced the MAP sensor, replaced up pipes and installed turbo back diamond eye 4'' exhaust, and more........

I have been watching parameters on my tuner for months, and never saw and dips in ICP or anything else out of the ordinary.

Last week, I figured I would take another stab at it and pick something else to change from my list of high mileage (179,000)
parts that I haven't changed yet. Not that I have much left, but I ordered a IPR Valve.
I installed it today, and I'll be damend if it didn't do the trick. :victory: It is running awesome. By far, the best it has since I have had it,
and it's difficult to keep my foot out of it. :smiley_drive:

I checked the ohms, and both coils (old and new) were the same, and there was no sludge or anything apparently wrong with it,
but i still surmise the coil might have been weak. I dunno...

It is a tight space to work in, but quite doable for most that are mechanically inclined. :Mechanic:
There are plenty of youtube videos on changing the valve, but here are the tools I used.

IMG_20171006_112710.jpg

Notice the terminal differences? It had a CHINA harness in it!!!!! The bottom one is what I got from NAVISTAR.
Eventually, I will do the passenger side....

IMG_20171017_204527.jpg
IMG_20171017_205119.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

rlrenz

Explorer
It's amazing how the answer can elude you for a long time, then suddenly, bang, the problem is solved.

Years ago, I had a GMC M135 2 1/2 ton truck. I installed a new carb (the same carb was used on the truck, and on the M114 armored personnel carrier) on it, and all of a sudden, it hesitated accelerating from a stop. I chased that problem for a long time before I found a page in the carb manual that mentioned that the accelerator pump had to be set differently for each vehicle. I looked, and found that my carb had never been set for a truck, but it was set for the M114 APC. Five minutes later, it was fixed, and my problems went away.

Congratulations on your success!

patoz

Expedition Leader
Eric, I'm glad you found the problem and solved it. I know things like that can be really annoying until you get to the bottom of it.

phenopd

Observer
I had a similar problem but my engine was completely shutting off. I replaced the ipr and voila problem solved. You sure are right, it’s a bear to get to. It was like a new truck. (Van).

Village Idiot
What is that harness for? The IPR valve?

I’m having a slow/hard start issue. Gonna start the the glow plug relay.

Did you have that issue too?

FDM2012

Adventurer
@225,

Harness is the UVCH for the injectors. (Under Valve Cover Harness).
I recommend checking continuity across all of the the pins to check the glow plugs and injector coils.
Again, there are many vidoes on youtube on how to do it.

Being down here in Tampa, it is rare that we get below freezing, so cold starts aren't much of an issue.
One one-thousand, two one-thousand, varoom. It starts right up. I've never had an issue with that.
That is with cycling the glow plugs just once.

Is it throwing any codes, CEL?

I am by far a diesel PRO, but it seems that I have learned a lot about these things in the last year, or so.
For a Shade Tree, that is!

Eric

I'm having a slow/hard start issue. Gonna start the the glow plug relay.

Did you have that issue too?[/QUOTE]

Deshet

Adventurer
Since I bought this rig last summer, I have been chasing down a low speed/RPM bucking problem, and an
occasional miss at idle. Normally, when the oil got up past 180 degrees, it would subside, for the most part.
But, as of late, it seems to have gotten worse. And unplugging the IPS never made a difference.

I have rebuilt the fuel bowl, replaced IPS, replaced the CPS, replaced the EBPS (and cleaned the tube), (after getting low meter readings)
replaced the drivers side UVCH, switched to synthetic oil with ArchOil anti foam additive, replaced the MAP sensor, replaced up pipes and installed turbo back diamond eye 4'' exhaust, and more........

I have been watching parameters on my tuner for months, and never saw and dips in ICP or anything else out of the ordinary.

Last week, I figured I would take another stab at it and pick something else to change from my list of high mileage (179,000)
parts that I haven't changed yet. Not that I have much left, but I ordered a IPR Valve.
I installed it today, and I'll be damend if it didn't do the trick. :victory: It is running awesome. By far, the best it has since I have had it,
and it's difficult to keep my foot out of it. :smiley_drive:

I checked the ohms, and both coils (old and new) were the same, and there was no sludge or anything apparently wrong with it,
but i still surmise the coil might have been weak. I dunno...

It is a tight space to work in, but quite doable for most that are mechanically inclined. :Mechanic:
There are plenty of youtube videos on changing the valve, but here are the tools I used.

View attachment 421699

Notice the terminal differences? It had a CHINA harness in it!!!!! The bottom one is what I got from NAVISTAR.
Eventually, I will do the passenger side....

View attachment 421700
View attachment 421701
View attachment 421698

Once I started reading this post I was going to say IPR valve but I got to the bottom and saw that you had already figured it out. How many cuss words that you use trying to swap it out.

The UVCH and IPR valve make me question why I like vans at all.

Thanks,

Village Idiot
@225,

Harness is the UVCH for the injectors. (Under Valve Cover Harness).
I recommend checking continuity across all of the the pins to check the glow plugs and injector coils.
Again, there are many vidoes on youtube on how to do it.

Being down here in Tampa, it is rare that we get below freezing, so cold starts aren't much of an issue.
One one-thousand, two one-thousand, varoom. It starts right up. I've never had an issue with that.
That is with cycling the glow plugs just once.

Is it throwing any codes, CEL?

I am by far a diesel PRO, but it seems that I have learned a lot about these things in the last year, or so.
For a Shade Tree, that is!

Eric

Here is how long it takes to start once I start cranking:

No cold starts yet, haven't had the van that long. Seems like it should crank quicker? Or is it just me?

FDM2012

Adventurer
That seems pretty normal for every 7.3 I have been around, and the 2 that I have owned.

I wouldn't raise any flags over that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94